The 'Commons' building was officially opened on 5 June by Academy Award-winning film producer Lord Puttnam. The building provides:
- A world-class development which will transform facilities for students and staff.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities.
- 1,800 square metres of Learning Commons including open access technology enabled study space, social learning space and bookable group working rooms.
- More than double the number of study spaces that are available in Newton Park Library.
- A superb new digital space to provide the best resources for teaching media-related courses in the south-west.
- Outside amphitheatre.
- An environment for learning which is stimulating, dynamic, uplifting and enjoyable.
- New social spaces and a café.
The building was constructed by Skanska.
Time-Lapse Construction Video
This video contains flashing images and is unsuitable for anyone with photosensitive epilepsy.
The front entrance to 'Commons'
The front of 'Commons'
Entrance of 'Commons'
The light-boxes on the curved wall of the studio
The student information desk
The Learning Commons area with the cafe behind
First-floor circulation space
Looking down into the Learning Commons and the bookable booths next to the cafe
Looking down into the Information zone next to the foyer
A typical teaching room
The roof-top staff terrace
The Staff Commons area on the second floor