Our Vision is underpinned by a commitment to sustainability, economic and cultural well-being and environmental improvement.
We recognise that our activities have environmental impacts. It is our aim to minimise these wherever we can and to continually improve our environmental performance.
To achieve this we will:
- Continually improve our ISO14001 compliant Environmental Management System (EMS), to ensure that our environmental risks and impacts are managed and minimised
- Comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and agreements
- Reduce our carbon emissions through our carbon management plan, which includes measures to ensure we meet and exceed statutory and sector targets
- Continually strive to reduce the use of natural resources and to minimise the production of waste in all our activities
- Promote sustainable modes of transport including walking, travelling by bus, car-sharing and cycling
- Manage our operations to minimise the risk of causing pollution
- Manage the University's property portfolio in a manner that encourages and maintains biodiversity
- Adopt sustainable purchasing practices and the use of environmentally sound goods and services
- Engage with other institutions and the wider community to share environmental best practice and to demonstrate environmental responsibility
- Continually develop and expand education for sustainable development in the curriculum for all students
- Promote environmental awareness and responsibility amongst all staff and students through awareness campaigns and training programmes.
- Find ways to ensure that our investments provide a good return for the University, without being used to fund activities that do not align with our own core values.
We will achieve these Policy aims by setting stretching objectives and targets in our EMS, developing robust strategies to deliver them and by ensuring the necessary human and financial resources to implement them are in place.
Professor Christina Slade, Vice-Chancellor