Why We Support Fairtrade?
Fairtrade seeks to transform trading structures and practices in favour of the poor and disadvantaged. By facilitating trading partnerships based on equity and transparency, Fairtrade contributes to sustainable development for marginalised farmers, workers and their communities. It also raises awareness of social justice issues.
Since Oxford Brookes became the first Fairtrade university in 2003 there are now over 120 Fairtrade colleges and universities in the UK and Bath Spa University is proud to be named among them. Fairtrade is another step in the University’s commitment to improving our environmental and ethical performance. See BSU’s Fairtrade policy.
- Buying Fairtrade tea and coffee and other snacks at the University;
- Requesting Fairtrade cakes and biscuits for your meetings (all tea and coffee served in meetings are Fairtrade);
- Looking out for Fairtrade products when you do your shopping;
- Buying non-food Fairtrade items such as cotton products; the SU shop sells Fairtrade Epona Jackets;
- Supporting Fairtrade awareness campaigns in the University and introduce it to colleagues and fellow students;
The University was awarded with a Gold at the 2016 South West Fairtrade Business Awards.
Why not visit the Fairtrade Foundation Website to find out more?