Academic Board's terms of reference, as declared in the Instrument And Articles of Government, define its responsibilities in academic provision.
The conduct of business in the subcommittees of Academic Board must be in accordance with the Standing Orders of Academic Board, which appear as an annex to the Rules and Bylaws of the Articles of Government of the University.
Subject to provisions of the Articles, to the overall responsibility of the Board of Governors and to the responsibilities of the Vice-Chancellor, the Academic Board is responsible for:
- general issues relating to the research, scholarship, teaching and courses at the University, including criteria for the admission of students, the appointment and removal of internal and external examiners, policy & procedures for assessment and examination of the academic performance of students, the content of the curriculum, academic standards and the validation and review of courses, the procedures for the award of qualifications and honorary academic titles, and the procedures for the expulsion of students for academic reasons. Such responsibilities are subject to requirements of validating and accrediting bodies where appropriate
- considering the development of the academic activities of the University and the resources needed to support them and for advising the Vice-Chancellor and the Board of Governors thereon.
- advising on such matters as the Board of Governors or the Vice-Chancellor may refer to the Academic Board.
Membership (from 1 September 2013):
- Ms Alison Baud - Director of Library and Information Services
- Mr Joe Bennett - Dean of School of Music and Performing Arts
- Mr Jon Brady - Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Operations)
- Professor Paul Davies - Vice-Provost (Learning and Teaching Quality)
- Ms Amy Dawson - Students' Union President
- *Dr Kristin Doern - School of Humanities and Cultural Industries
- Ms Christine Eden - Acting Dean of School of Education
- Mr Christopher Ellicott - Director of Student Services and Registrar (Secretary)
- *Mr Chris Jury - School of Music and Performing Arts
- Dr Steve May - Dean of the School of Humanities and Creative Industries
- Professor Robert Mears - Dean of School of Science, Society and Management
- Professor Tim Middleton - Vice-Provost (Research and Graduate Affairs)
- *Professor James Newman - School of Humanities and Cultural Industries
- Professor Neil Sammells - Deputy Vice-Chancellor Provost (Deputy Chair)
- Professor Christina Slade - Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Professor Anita Taylor - Dean of Bath School of Art and Design
* Elected member until 31 August 2014
Academic Board fulfils many of its responsibilities through an infrastructure of executive subcommittees. The Vice-Chancellor is an ex officio member of all subcommittees of the Academic Board. The Vice-Chancellor appoints Chairs of Academic Board subcommittees.
Student representatives to Academic Board and its subcommittees serve for one year. The duration of office of all other nominated and elected members is for three years. If necessary a staggered arrangement is made to avoid change of membership on a large scale at a given point. Heads of Schools nominate named alternates to some committees, in some cases after consultation with relevant Chairs of committees. Chairs of committees nominate some members, in some cases after consultation with Heads of Schools.
Heads of Schools are responsible for arrangements for the election of School Board representatives. These arrangements ensure that there is an optimum blend of representation and expertise, and new and experienced membership.
- Academic Quality and Standards Committee:
- Appeals Committee
- Collaborative Provision Committee
- Examination Boards (External Examiners Page):
- Mitigating Circumstances Committee
- Subject Examination Boards
- Unfair Practice Committee
- Higher Degrees (Research) Committee
- Higher Degrees (Taught) Committee
- Learning and Teaching Committee:
- Modular Scheme Committee
- Research, Consultancy and Scholarship Committee
- School Boards
Agendas and Minutes of Meetings
Here are the minutes and agendas for the Academic Board from November 2004 to November 2009 in PDF format. Papers relating to the agendas may be obtained from the Secretary to the Academic Board. Agendas, papers and minutes from 2009 onwards may also be obtained from the above officer.
|2004/2005||November, January, April, May||November, January, April, May|
|2005/2006||November, April, May, July||November, April, May, July|
|2006/2007||October, November, January, April, May, July||October, November, January, April, May, July|
|2007/2008||November, January, March, MayJuly||November, January, March, May, July|
|2008/2009||October, March, May||October, March, May|