Before you begin your studies with us an an international student, you'll need an English language qualification that's recognised by the University.

Unless you are from or you have studied your qualification (at or above degree level) in an English speaking country, then you'll need to submit an English language qualification. This needs to have been gained within two years of starting the course.

What level of English Language do I need?

The required English Language level depends on the course that you're applying for. As a general guide, our typical requirements are listed below. However, do be aware that each course has different entry requirements, you'll find course specific information on your course's webpage.

Undergraduate IELTS: 6.0 (including a minimum of 5.5 in all bands)
Postgraduate IELTS: 6.0 – 7.0 (depending on chosen course)
Postgraduate research IELTS: 6.5 – 7.0 (depending on chosen field)
International Year One IELTS: 4.5 – 5.5 (depending on chosen route)
Masters Accelerator Programme IELTS: 5.0 – 6.0 (depending on chosen route)

Qualifications we accept

We can only accept IELTS certificates from qualified test centres that meet the Home Office requirement. We do accept a range of alternative qualifications; however, these will need to be approved on an individual basis when you submit your application to us.

Don’t meet our requirements?

Don't worry, we have a number of options to help you, and we're always happy to talk you through these.

Pre-sessional English language course

If you don’t meet the English language requirements, you can join our Pre-sessional English Language course before you begin your degree.

The course will not only teach you English language skills appropriate for progression to your academic degree - through individual support from your tutors and a variety of teaching methods, the course will also help you gain:

  • knowledge and understanding of the teaching and learning styles and expectations of studying at a UK university;
  • increased knowledge of your academic subject;
  • academic and study skills;
  • research skills, critical thinking and analysis;
  • increased confidence for success.

Depending on your current level of English you will be able to join either the 12/11 weeks or 6/5 weeks Pre-sessional programme. Please check the entry requirements for the Pre-sessional English Language course.

Studying English in your home country

If you need to improve your English language score or you just want to be more prepared before you start your studies, there are many opportunities to study English in your home country. The British Council provides English language teaching and preparation for the IELTS examination. Our Regional Offices can also help you find accredited IELTS examination centres in your country.

English Language Support while you study

We appreciate that studying in a different language for the first time can be a big challenge, especially with the added pressure of needing to complete your degree. We have help and support available to assist you throughout your journey at Bath Spa University.

The English Language Unit

To ensure that you can meet those challenges, fully engage in university life and reach your full potential as learners, The English Language Unit (ELU) provides free English language and EAP (English for Academic Purposes) support for all international students whose first language is not English.

The Writing and Learning Centre

The University’s Writing and Learning Centre (WLC) is here to support you in your academic work at any stage of your academic career. WLC offers 1:1 individual sessions as well as workshops and courses on a variety of topics to help you improve your academic reading and writing, referencing, digital literacy, critical thinking, making the transition to university study and returning to study after a break.

Language requirements and visas

You need to submit an English language qualification certificate or statement of results that has been approved by the Home Office when you submit your application for a course. We require this evidence before we can issue you with a CAS statement. If you choose to submit an alternative qualification as proof of your English language ability, then the Admissions Manager will assess its suitability against the entry requirements.

Edit section