Bath Spa University has secured its best ever results in the Research Excellence Framework (REF), the UK programme which assesses the quality and impact of higher education research.
The University has tripled its volume of internationally excellent and world leading research, since the previous Research Assessment Exercise in 2008.
The University's submission to REF 2014 featured research in Art and Design, Education, English and Creative Writing, History, Music and Performing Arts, and Communication Culture and Media Studies.
Highlights of the results include:
- Excellent research environment in creative subjects, reflecting sustained investments in staff and facilities,
- Tripled amount of world leading research in English and Creative Writing,
- Doubled amount of world leading research in Art & Design,
- Outstanding impact score for Music and Performing Arts case studies in Songwriting and Multi-media Performance,
- Cross disciplinary research excellence reflected in outcomes for Communication Culture and Media Studies,
- Improvement in output quality and impact of Education research.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Christina Slade said: “I’m extremely proud of these results which reflect many years of hard work by academic colleagues and leading creative practitioners across the University. Our distinctive, practice-based approach to research draws disciplines together boosting the quality of our published work and enhances our global relevance and impact.
“Today’s results follow recent successes in this year’s National Student Survey and Which? University Student Survey 2014 consolidating our position as a leading UK liberal arts University.”