We hold a selection of databases which contain full text and abstracts of e-journals. A full list of all our databases can be found on the page. Key databases relevant for Fashion, Textiles, or 3D Design are listed below:
- Academic Search Premier is a good starting point for more general subject searches.
- a-n (The Artists Information Company): information and support for contemporary visual arts practice
- Art Full Text is particularly good for fine art but does include some articles relevant to art and design in general.
- Berg Fashion Library includes images of fashion from museums around the world.
- Bridgeman Education is useful for a wide range of copyright-cleared images which you can use for study purposes, including posters, illustrations, advertising and fine art works.
- Defining Gender 1450-1910 provides access to a collection of original documents relating to gender studies.
- Design and Applied Arts Index: This provides references to articles design and craft journals e.g. Design Week. It does not provide full-text but once you’ve found the details, most of the articles can be found in our print journals.
- Fashion Studies Online: the Video Fashion Library provides access to videos on fashion and costume, including major fashion shows and interviews with top fashion personalities.
- The Illustrated London News Historical Archive is available from 1842.
- Mass Observation Online has a large database of images from daily life in Britain from the 1930s to the 1970s.
- NewsBank is a newspaper database which pulls together all the national daily papers and weekend papers, and some local papers, in one database, for at least the last 10 years. It is a good source of exhibition reviews and articles about artists.
- Oxford English Dictionary is the full version of this essential reference resource.
- Popular Culture in Britain & America is an archive of original material from 1950-1975, including images, video clips and documents from the period.
- The Vogue Archive for American Vogue, 1892 to date.