I have worked at the university for many years. I am currently a tutor in the primary PGCE team. This involves teaching Mathematics education as well as having an academic tutor role with a group of Bath Spa teachers (BSTs). Within Maths, I am interested in how children's misconceptions arise and how good teaching can anticipate and address these. I am fascinated by the pedagogical choices BSTs can make, which enables children to access the learning.
Much of my work involves visiting schools, observing BSTs and supporting their progress alongside their mentor. Here, I am particularly interested in the attributes of good mentoring and the positive impact it has on a BST’s development. This builds upon my qualification in mentoring and coaching and my experiences in teaching various INSET courses and Master’s modules in both Mentoring and Coaching. I am aware of the potential benefits of using a coaching approach to support professional development of new and experienced colleagues. This has led me to become an internal coach at the university.
Prior to working at the University, I taught in Sandwell Authority in the Midlands. My class teaching experiences were mainly in primary schools with some secondary experience. Later I became a Mathematics Advisory Teacher within the same authority and this enabled me to work with a wide range of schools.
- MA - Bath College of Higher Education
- BEd - Nene College
- Diploma, Mathematics Education - Wolverhampton Polytechnic
- Diploma, English as a Second language in Multicultural Schools - Wolverhampton Polytechnic
- Level 7 Certificate - Executive Coaching and Leadership Mentoring ILM.
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy.
Other external roles
- Peer review for EPPI "The Impact of newly Qualified Teachers induction programmes on the enhancement of teacher expertise, professional development, job satisfaction or retention rates: a systematic review of research literature on Induction." Institute of Education. University of London - April 2003
- I have previously been an external examiner for the Faculty of Education at Durham University. This focused mainly on their mathematics courses and also enabled me to observe trainees and talk with mentors in schools.
- Coaching and mentoring
- Mathematics education
My recent research focuses on:
- Emotion coaching project
- How does a school develop a coaching culture
- The impact of coaching on 3rd year undergraduates employability and transferable skills.
Recent professional updating
- I regularly undertake further courses and attend conferences when there are opportunities to do so.