To celebrate and share the expertise of our new and established Professors, we invite you to attend Bath Spa’s new Professorial Lecture Series. Each lecture is free and open to everyone – staff, students and members of the public.
Professor Alastair Niven - "The Value of Literary Prizes, If There Is Any" ~ 23/11/2016
Alastair Niven has twice been a judge of the Man Booker Prize for Fiction and has created, assessed and advised on innumerable literary awards around the world.
In this lecture he will spill some beans about the way they work. He asks whether there is any point in rating one novel, poem or biography above another. If being ‘the best’ is the criterion for receiving a prize, does this square with an egalitarian approach to writing? How are decisions reached, who chooses the juries, and what effect does giving an award have on sales and reputations?
Dr Niven will take a healthily sceptical approach to the subject of literary awards, but argue that a world without them might find itself subject even more than it already is to the pressures of commercial marketing. However imperfect and subjective they are, prizes act as compass points for our guidance. This lecture aims to be a comprehensive round up of the issues surrounding them
To book a place, click here
To see a full timetable click here
Whenever posible we try to record our Professorial Lectures for posterity. We then make them available on this website for you to enjoy.
- 9 Oct 2013: Prof John Strachan: "Advertising and Literature in Late Georgian England, 1785-1840" (No recording available)
- 30 Oct 2013: Prof Anita Taylor: "Interrogating Appearances: Drawing and Understanding" (No recording available)
- 14 Nov 2013: Hilary Mantel in conversation with Prof Fay Weldon (Video)
- 27 Nov 2013: Prof Rob Mears: "Violence and Civilisation" (Audio)
- 6 Feb 2014: Joseph Hyde: "Seeing Sound..." (Audio)
- 19 Feb 2014: Kate Pullinger: "A Letter to an Unknown Soldier..." (Audio)
- 5 Mar 2014: Elaine Chalus: "My dearest Tussy'..." (Video and Audio)
- 19 Mar 2014: Dan Davies: "Schrödinger's Cat..." (Audio slideshow)
- 2 Apr 2014: Denise Cush: "Without Fear or Favour..." (Audio)
- 14 May 2014: Tessa Hadley: Book Reading with Q&A (No recording available)
- 28 May 2014: Mike Tooby: "Reflections on connecting people..." (Video)
- 6 Jun 2014: Liz Coleman: "Thought, Action and Passion..." A public lecture to mark the launch of the Global Academy of Liberal Arts. (Video)
- 9-15 Jun 2014: Research Celebration Week
- 25 Jun 2014: Gavin Cologne-Brookes: "Mortality and Memoir..." (Audio)
- 05 October 2016: Kate Rigby: "Infernal Ecologies: Literature, ethics and fire 'down under'"
- 19 October 2016: Andrew Hugill: "Adventures in Creative Computing" (footage coming shortly)