Environmental Humanities - PhD Fee Waiver Studentship
Bath Spa University is offering a PhD Fee Waiver Studentship in Environmental Humanities to start in the academic year 2016/17. This will provide:
- A full tuition fee waiver for 3.5 years for full-time students or 5 years part-time;
- A support fund of £1,800, which may be used during the period of the studentship, to support research activities and/or resources such as specialist training, equipment or conference attendance;
- Access to a wide-ranging Researcher Development programme;
- Opportunities to develop teaching skills by participating in Bath Spa's Graduate Teaching Assistant Scheme which includes registration on the CPLHE course, which leads to HEA accreditation.
We encourage applications for interdisciplinary projects in the Environmental Humanities, integrating two or more of the following areas of research strength at BSU:
- Art and environment - Mariele Neudecker
- Conservation biology - Graham Smith, Ian Todd, Dave Watson
- Creative writing - Richard Kerridge
- Environmental literary studies - Kate Rigby, Sam Walton, Terry Gifford
- Cultural geography - Owain Jones, Rebecca Schaaf, Heather Winlow, James Jeffers
- Physical geography - Esther Edwards, Richard Johnson
- Environmental philosophy, ethics and religion - Paul Reid-Bowen,Kate Rigby, Russell Re Manning, Mike Hannis
- Environmental anthropology - Sian Sullivan
You are advised to contact the relevant academic staff named above to discuss your proposal before applying.
How to apply
The application deadline is midnight on Sunday 31 July, for a start date of 1 October 2016.
The application form, together with full details of the procedure, may be found via the following link: https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/research/phd-opportunities/how-do-i-apply
Please state on the application form that you are applying for the Fee Waiver Studentship in Environmental Humanities.
In addition to the application form you will need to provide:
- A sample of your work, such as an essay, part of a dissertation, or a paper (no more than 3,000 words) on your proposed topic. For creative practice-led projects some of the submitted work may be existing creative work.
- Copies of your degree certificates.
- If English is not your first language, please include evidence of your linguistic ability. English Language Requirements are explained here: https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/research/phd-opportunities/english
- Two academic references are required and the forms and information to forward to nominated referees are contained within the application form.
- If you are already engaged in an application with BSU and wish to be considered for this Fee Waiver Studentship, please enquire at PGRadmissions@bathspa.ac.uk
- The fee waiver studentship is available to individuals applying for a first Postgraduate research programme. Applications from individuals who have already been awarded a PhD are not eligible.
- Applications for PhD by Publication are not eligible.
- The studentship is not transferable or deferrable to commence outside of the academic year 2016/17.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- This Studentship is available both to Home/EU and International applicants. International students, however, have to pay the difference between UK/EU fees and International student fees.
- Fee Waiver Studentships are normally available to campus-based students only. The student must live within a reasonable distance from the University to ensure that they are able to maintain regular contact with their department and their supervisor.
- Students will need to demonstrate their ability to fund their living costs.
- Applications from students who wish to study part-time will need evidence of their employer’s commitment to support their studentship.
- Applicants are expected to have a very strong track record in terms of prior study and/or relevant professional practice. Applicants will normally be expected to hold a Master's degree and this must have been awarded before an application is submitted.
- The main assessment criteria will be academic excellence. The fee waiver is not intended to act as hardship or financial relief and justification on these grounds in the application will be discounted.
- Studentship holders are usually expected to contribute to research forums and graduate school workshops.
- The Fee Waiver Studentships will not be extended or renewed beyond the original term.
- The fee waiver is applied to the published fee for the course of study the studentship holder has been accepted for. This does not extend to any bench fees or other charges for which the studentship holder may be liable, including penalty charges for the late payment of fees beyond the period of funding.
- Studentship holders will be expected to submit their thesis and be examined within their maximum registration period.
- Once a period of study has commenced, should a studentship holder be granted an authorised period of suspension their fee waiver will be similarly suspended and will be recommenced on the resumption of studies. Should the studentship holder withdraw from their studies, the fee waiver will be terminated. Any refunds owing to studentship holders will be calculated against fees actually paid. Please also note that on resumption of studies after a period of suspension studentship holders will need to complete re enrolment procedures for the entire academic year. The fee waiver will in some cases only cover a part of that academic year’s fee and studentship holders will be liable to pay their remaining fees in advance.
SWW AHRC DTP Studentship
Please click here for full details about these scholarships
Funding for Postgraduate Taught students
Student Finance England’s new Postgraduate Loan application service is now open.
Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible to make sure their Postgraduate Loan is ready for the start of their course.
The quickest and easiest way for students to apply is online at:
For further information on postgraduate fees and finance please see: https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/study-with-us/postgraduate/fees-and-finance