Bath Spa University's Certificate in Global Citizenship is designed to recognise the global perspective of undergraduate studies and to firmly place students in the global employment market.
This award is taken alongside studies for your degree programme and lasts for the full three years of study towards your degree. To receive the award, you will undertake an international placement, attend a series of Global Citizenship Lectures and work with a group of fellow students to develop your thinking and skills around global citizenship. UK and EU students accepted on the Certificate in Global Citizenship are eligible for a Global Citizenship Scholarship of £1,000 to help fund the international placement.
Interested? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We will send you full details on how to apply as well as more information about this opportunity. All applications will be considered, but priority will be given to students who achieve at least A-level grades ABB, BTEC DDM or the equivalent.
The application deadline for the 2014-15 academic year is October 3rd 2014.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have any questions? If so, we may be able to answer them here. However, we would be delighted to hear from you with any queries you may have, so please do not hesitate to get in touch.
What is the Certificate in Global Citizenship?
The Certificate is an award given by the University to recognise students who complete studies relating to global issues over the course of their undergraduate degree at Bath Spa University. Studies in global citizenship are not particular to any single subject at the University, but relate to wide-ranging, cross-cutting issues with relevance to all subjects in the arts, humanities and sciences. This means that students studying on any undergraduate honours course can apply for the Certificate in Global Citizenship.
Who should apply for the Certificate in Global Citizenship?
This is a programme for full-time undergraduate students on Bath Spa University honours degree courses. Students with an interest in international and global issues (e.g. the global economy and politics, aid and development, sustainability, other countries and cultures, international business, etc.) are encouraged to apply. You do not need to have a huge amount of background experience in these issues, just an interest in developing your understanding and building your skills as a global citizen.
What is required of me?
To complete the Certificate, you will need to:
- Attend a lecture series offered throughout the course of the academic year. Between 4-6 lectures will be offered each year throughout the three years of your degree – you will be expected to attend all of these lectures every year. These are insightful talks given by high-profile speakers from outside the University, including leaders in business, politics, arts, culture and government. The lectures are followed by seminar sessions.
- Work with a small group (3-6 students) to reflect upon your learning.
- Complete some international study, work or volunteer experience related to your degree (see below). Home students will be eligible for the Global Citizenship Scholarship up to £1,000 to support your international study. International students will complete work or volunteer experience in the UK and will not be eligible for the Global Citizenship Scholarship.
- Submit a reflective assignment on your understanding of global citizenships and your own development as a global citizen. This should draw on your experiences attending the lecture series and on what you have learned as a result of your international study, work or volunteer experience.
What is the Global Citizenship Scholarship?
The Global Citizenship Scholarship is a financial contribution by the University to the international placement requirements of the Certificate in Global Citizenship. The available scholarship is up to £1,000. It is paid to home students in the year that they complete their international placement requirement of the Certificate. You will need to submit a plan for your international study, work or volunteer experience in order to access the bursary. The Global Citizenship Programme Leaders will support you to develop your plans. Please note that international students are required to undertake their placement within the UK, and that the bursary is not available for this.
What is the international placement requirement of the award?
The Certificate requires students to complete an international placement of at least three weeks in duration. This could include any of the following:
- A semester or full-year of study abroad through the Erasmus programme or the University’s international partners.
- International work experience through an “International Placement” module.
- An integrated international study visit as part of an undergraduate module (e.g. ED5004 – International Development and Education).
- Completion of an accredited language course offered by an institution abroad.
- A volunteer or work experience placement arranged by the student.
How does this relate to my degree?
The Certificate is awarded in addition to your degree; it does not change the title of your degree or your final degree results. The Certificate complements your degree studies by adding an international, interdisciplinary (i.e. a multi-subject) perspective to your studies.
When would I study for the Certificate?
Global Citizenship study and experiences are included in each year of participating students’ degree programmes. The placement can take place at any time over the course of your studies at BSU and you can plan it based on your convenience.
Would it mean additional hours of attendance?
Attendance at the Global Citizenship Lectures is required of students completing the certificate, but the range of speakers and interactive format should provide a good intellectual and social experience. You will also need to find time to complete your international placement. Many students choose to do this as part of their studies (e.g. through an Erasmus placement or as part of a module) or over the summer.
Each year you will also need to spend some time working together with your small group (some groups may chose to do this online). We hope that you will enjoy getting to know each other and you will have flexibility over when and how often you meet.
You will also need to complete a reflective assignment at the end of your 3 years of study.
How do I apply?
You apply for the Certificate in Global Citizenship in the summer before you begin your studies at Bath Spa University, after you have accepted your offer of a place. Email email@example.com to request an application form. Complete the form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. This year's deadline is 3 October 2014.
When will I know if I’ve been successful?
We will be letting successful candidates know early in the autumn term.