UPDATE as of 14:00 on Monday 17 August:
We have re-opened for Clearing some courses that still have a few places left. Please see the list below.
Whether you have performed better than expected and want to apply via Adjustment, or you're looking at opportunities through Clearing, Bath Spa University has a lot to offer. Students at Bath Spa University form a close-knit community where creativity, culture and enterprise are valued and nurtured.
What is Clearing?
Clearing is a process universities go through to fill any places still available on courses following the publication of exam results. If you want to know more about how Clearing works you can visit the UCAS website and their dedicated information pages.
Interested in Applying to Bath Spa University?
You can check if you are eligible to apply via Clearing by visiting the UCAS website. If you would like to apply to Bath Spa via Clearing, please pick up the phone and call us on: 01225 876180.
When you call, please ensure you have at hand:
- the grades you achieved for qualifications in both school years 12 and 13. For instance, A levels, include any AS levels that you did not continue to A level or a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma
- your Clearing number and UCAS ID number. Also your email address and a contact telephone number
- an idea of what you would like to study – to see what courses are available in
If you receive an offer, after speaking to the Bath Spa University hotline, and you wish to take up that offer, you must refer yourself through UCAS Track
International applicants only
If you are an overseas applicant please see the clearing listing on the UCAS website.
Courses Currently Available Through Clearing at Bath Spa
- Three Dimensional (3D) Design: Idea Material Object, BA (Hons)
- Fine Art, BA (Hons)
- History of Art and Design, BA (Hons)
- Creative Computing (Animation), BSc (Hons)
- Creative Computing (Gaming), BSc (Hons)
- Creative Computing (Software Development), BSc (Hons)
- Dance, BA (Hons)
- Biology, BSc (Hons)
- Criminology, BSc (Hons)
- Environmental Science, BSc (Hons)
- Global Development & Sustainability, BSc (Hons)
- Human Nutrition, BSc (Hons)
You can also find our prospectus online here.
Reasons to #BeBathSpa
Our student satisfaction rates are excellent. We scored 90% overall satisfaction in the latest National Student Survey (NSS), putting us into the top 20 UK universities for overall student satisfaction.
Through our partnerships with businesses, you’ll get access to a wide range of career pathways and employment opportunities. We’ll start you thinking about career preparation from the word go.
Our academic team is dedicated to high-quality teaching, and will do all they can to give help and guidance in your learning and development.
Clearing Top Tips
We hope that you get the results you want so that you get your university place but if you don’t then please don’t worry as you can still bag a place through Clearing.
Here are our top tips:
- GET COMFORTABLE! Find somewhere quiet where you can do your internet research and have your phone handy.
- START EARLY. Check UCAS Track once you have your results as this will tell you whether or not you have your place. If you didn’t get your firm choice then you may still have got your insurance choice.
- ARE YOU IN CLEARING? If you did not get your firm or insurance place then UCAS track will tell you that you are eligible for Clearing, with the status 'You are in Clearing' or 'Clearing has started'. On the top left of the UCAS Track homepage you will find your Clearing number under 'My Status' - make a note of this and keep it with your UCAS personal ID number. You'll need it when you call Universities.
- BROWSE COURSES. While you are on the UCAS website, browse courses that you may be interested in – you may need to be flexible. For example, you may have wanted to study a subject that isn’t available as a single honours degree but is available in a combination with another subject. You may find something exciting that you hadn’t considered before!
- PICK UP THE PHONE. Check university websites as well as the UCAS website. Browse through as many courses and call as many universities as you want - it is important for you that you make the right choice.
- HOW ABOUT BATH SPA UNIVERSITY? After reading these tips, take a look at the list of courses on this page we have available here at Bath Spa. If something catches your eye, click on the link and read about the course and our entry requirements and if it is something you would like to do, give us a call on 01225 875550.
- BE PREPARED. You will be asked for your name, UCAS personal ID number, your Clearing number and your results, so please have all of this information ready as well as the best contact telephone number for you for that day. It is usually best if you call universities yourself – you may be feeling upset about your grades but it will cheer you up to be doing something positive, and admissions teams need to hear from you rather than your parent or advisor!
- KEEP TRYING. When you make your call to a university, please bear in mind that there will be lots of other students also getting in touch - it may be nice to know that you will not be alone, but please remember that this will mean that telephone lines will be busy so please keep trying!
- BE AVAILABLE. At Bath Spa, once we have taken your details and have given you an indication of whether or not we will be able to accept you, you will have until later that day to consider your options before UCAS Track is open for Clearing and after that time you can refer yourself to us. Our Admissions team will then check your application and confirm your place. Depending on the course, you may need to come for an interview or audition at short notice (it may be possible to arrange these over Skype), so please make sure that you are available for the period around results time. If you are applying for an Art and Design course you are likely to be asked if you have an E-Portfolio. You may also be asked to scan or photograph and then email your results to universities so be prepared for this.
- TALK TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Once you are happy with your options, do have a good think and talk things through with your loved ones. It may help you to discuss what you are feeling but remember that only you can decide what is right and what will work best for you. You may want to visit the universities you are considering before making up your mind. Here at Bath Spa, we have a Guided Campus Tour taking place on Friday 14 August (details below) to welcome you to our beautiful campus. If you aren’t able to come to see us, our Virtual Open Day will hopefully give you a taste of Bath Spa life!
- DECIDE. If you are offered a place by Bath Spa during Clearing, you will receive an email within an hour confirming the offer. Once you have made your decision, go onto UCAS track and enter the university and the course you discussed with the admissions team. They will be looking out for you on UCAS Track ready to confirm the acceptance. Please do make sure that you speak to universities before you enter the details of the course on UCAS Track. If a university isn’t able to accept you, then your ‘Add Clearing Choice’ button will be re-activated on UCAS track so that you can keep looking for a place.
- GOOD LUCK! Lastly, remember that some things in life happen for a reason so it may be that even though all this seems very scary now, what you choose to do through Clearing may turn out to be better than what you originally chose all those months ago! Keep your nerve and good luck!
What's it like at Bath Spa University?
You are welcome to take an informal look around Bath Spa University, by attending our Guided Campus Tours of both Newton Park and Sion Hill on Friday 14 August. It's a great opportunity to get an idea of what it's like at Bath Spa University.
If you're unable to make this event, our Newton Park Campus operates an Open Campus Policy and welcomes visitors Monday to Friday between 9am -5pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If your course is based at Sion Hill campus, it maybe possible to visit by appointment, please get in touch by emailing: email@example.com
Help - what to do if....
I’ve already applied to Bath Spa, but want to change to a different course.
That’s ok. As long as there are places available and you are eligible. You don’t need to do this through Clearing, just email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain what course you want to change to and we will look into it.
Bath Spa is my insurance choice and UCAS have let me know I’ve been accepted. Should I call?
No, if UCAS have confirmed your acceptance you should wait and we will send you information about registration and enrolment. If you have any concerns you can email email@example.com
I’ve been accepted through Clearing and now need somewhere to live.
Please see the section below 'Applying for student accommodation during Clearing'.
I want to apply for a place with a deferred start date.
You can’t apply through Clearing for a place with a deferred start date, but if you email firstname.lastname@example.org we may be able to make an amendment for you.
I think I’ve missed the Clearing deadline!
Don’t panic! Officially, UCAS close their Clearing vacancy service at the end of September although institutions can still make Clearing decisions until October. However, Clearing really finishes when institutions have filled their places, so pick up the phone to check!
Once you get your results, Adjustment is a period of five days that allows you to change your decision to a course and/or institution that has higher entry requirements. If you have achieved higher grades than you were predicted, you can use the Adjustment period to consider whether you want to change your course or institution.
This is an important decision, so you should think carefully and consider the following:
- Any contracts you may have signed for accommodation at your current institution.
- You will need to amend your Local Authority/Student Loan Company application, which may delay your payment.
- Your reasons for choosing your first choice institution.
- The possibility that there may be no accommodation available at the new institution.
- If you decide to Adjust, but then change your mind, it is unlikely that your original place would still be available and you would also have lost your accommodation.
- Once you have registered for Adjustment, your current institution will be able to see this status change.
Adjustment is available from 1 to 31 August 2015, but you have a maximum of five calendar days to register and secure an alternative course. You can apply via UCAS Track
More information about Adjustment is available on the UCAS website.
Here at Bath Spa we have a dedicated team for Adjustment queries. You can speak to a member of the team by calling: 01225 876180. You should explain you are calling about Adjustment and have your UCAS personal ID ready.
If you are accepted for Adjustment by Bath Spa, we will send you an email with all the details. You will need to respond to this email accepting the offer before we can confirm with UCAS Track that you have secured a place.
Applying for student accommodation during Clearing
If you apply to Bath Spa University through Clearing, or as an Insurance choice we cannot guarantee you a hall of residence place as we prioritise these to first year students who have made us their firm choice. On the 13th August an accommodation waiting list will be open for all students who have not made an application for accommodation. Click this link to join the accommodation waiting list.
From the 14th August any available rooms will be offered to students on the accommodation waiting list in order of their application.
For more information on the accommodation available please go to Housing page.
For any other accommodation queries please email email@example.com
Finance - Student Loans and Grants
Still to apply for Student Finance?
For those of you who haven’t already applied for Student Finance, please do so as soon as possible by visiting the appropriate Student Finance website.
To begin a brand new application, your funding body will help you navigate your finances and make sure you get some of your loan in time for the beginning of your course.
Already applied for student finance?
If you have already applied for a loan but have decided to go through the Clearing process then your application details will need to be changed. If you’re funded by Student Finance England, this can be done easily and quickly online by logging into your student account, or by contacting the relevant funder if you live elsewhere.
Full-time students can make changes to their course, college or university details online. To make a change log into your online Student Finance account then My Account >Make changes to my 14/15 application>Change your course.
SF will be holding dedicated ‘Clearing Clinics’ on Facebook and on The Student Room to support students who have any questions about their student finance applications. You can find them on Twitter. Alternatively, get in touch with the Bath Spa Finance department - contact details can be found below.
Bath Spa University Finance team
Get in touch with our Finance team if you have any queries regarding fees and finance. We provide all students with a named contact, although any of the team will be happy to assist you. Our personal Finance contacts relate alphabetically to student surname.
Student surname beginning A - K, phone Lorraine on 01225 875562
Student surname beginning L - P, phone Lynda on 01225 875731
Student surname beginning Q - Z, phone Jenny on 01225 875441
All telephones have a voicemail service. Please leave a message if your named contact is busy and someone will return your call as soon as possible. Alternatively try another phone line as you can speak to any of us on the numbers above. To contact by email the address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bursaries and Scholarships
It's not too late to be awarded a Bath Spa University Bursary, we have 320 bursaries to award our first year undergraduate students. Bursaries are non-repayable grants that are given to help you with education costs.
If you are a full-time student you will be automatically assessed for an award using the information from your Student Finance assessment.
If you have not already applied for student funding and want to be considered for a bursary, then please apply as soon as possible in order to ensure your household income is assessed by the end of September, as we will allocate the bursary awards in mid-October.
For further details regarding eligibility and payments please see our webpages regarding Bath Spa Bursary.
If we haven’t answered your question about Clearing in these pages, please get in touch by emailing: email@example.com
Admissions and Adjustment
Telephone: 01225 876180
Telephone: 01225 875550
Telephone: 01225 875875