We understand the uncertainty the coronavirus pandemic has created, so we are doing all we can to make sure our students have the best experience possible, while ensuring the health and safety of all students and staff. This means that we have had to make some changes to how we deliver teaching, and students are being taught via a mixture of online and on-campus, taking into account any personal circumstances.

We are closely following government advice and guidelines and have adapted our campuses and buildings to give students safe access to some important facilities on campus including the library, workshops, studios, laboratories and performance spaces.

We know that the coronavirus pandemic situation can change quickly, so we are prepared for a number of different ‘stages’ of how we operate, depending on the situation we are in. We are currently in stage 5: online only.

A chart describing the different stages of Bath Spa's COVID response

Download the full-sized stages document (.pdf)

The FAQs are updated regularly, so please refer to these if you have any queries. If your question isn’t answered here, please email

Local Outbreak Management Plan (LOMP)

In the event there is an outbreak of Covid-19 at the University, we will follow our Bath Spa University Local Outbreak Management Plan (LOMP). Please note that the Local Outbreak Management will be updated as guidance and situations, both locally and nationally, evolve.

We have a ‘COVID Response Process’ in place that outlines the steps we follow to ensure that when any students and/or households reporting a positive test result and/or that they are self-isolating, we are able to respond and suport them effectively.

Number of confirmed COVID-19 cases per week

This table shows the total number of confirmed cases at the University in a 7 day period.

DateTotal cases
 21 - 27 December 0
28 December - 3 January 0
3 - 10 January 20

Support is available

Students can contact our Student Wellbeing Services at any time to discuss concerns by emailing or calling 01225 876543.

Staff are encouraged to discuss any concerns with their line manager or HR by emailing

Testing and on-campus during lockdown

The Government is strongly encouraging students who are asymptomatic (do not have symptoms of COVID-19) to have two Lateral Flow Test (LFT) before they resume on-campus teaching and learning. We are now offering these tests to students and staff. Please read our COVID-19 testing page for full information.

Please see our on-campus during lockdown page for information about what facilities are available on campus during the lockdown.

Lockdown FAQs

When will on-campus teaching and learning resume?

We can’t confirm that yet, but according to Government guidelines, we must deliver all teaching online until at least mid-February.

Can I come to campus to access study spaces?

You should stay at home and access online teaching and learning. We are reviewing the needs of students to see if they need exceptional individual access to additional specialist facilities, taking into account government guidance.

Can I access the library?

Click and Collect is available at Newton Park only. The library spaces are closed, so you cannot book a study space or browse booked, however all digital library resources are available.

Can I come to campus to access workshops, studios or laboratories?

Unfortunately we are not allowed to provide access to campus for teaching purposes, including workshops. We are reviewing the needs of students to see if they need exceptional individual access to additional specialist facilities, taking into account government guidance.

Can I come to campus to collect work or equipment?

If you need to collect your work or personal equipment, please contact your course tutor who will organise a time with the Estates Department for you to collect your work. Please do not come to any campus unless you have previously agreed a time to do so.

Can I return to my university accommodation to collect personal belongings?

According to Government guidance students should avoid returning to university to collect any of their belongings which they may have left at their university accommodation over the winter break. However, students can travel back to collect any medical equipment or items required for online learning if it is essential.

I’m on a teacher training placement as part of my course, what should I do?

Students who are currently on initial teacher training courses are regarded as future critical workers and should be prepared to return to their placement in schools when/if that school reopens. Please contact your course tutor if you have any questions or concerns about this.

What catering will be available on campus?

Catering outlets are closed, but University Catering offers a daily delivery and ‘click and collect’ service via the ‘Meet, Drink, Eat’ app from 8:30am-4:30pm Monday- Thursday and 8:30am-4:00pm on Friday. Please note that timings and menus are subject to change so please check the app when you order.


Online Ordering Postcard

Will the buses be running during lockdown?

The U5 will be running and you can check timetables on the First website.

I don’t have access to the facilities I need to complete my assignments at home, can I come back to university?

According to the rules of lockdown you must stay at home and not travel.

However, in exceptional circumstances you may be allowed to return to your term-time accommodation, for instance for health and safety reasons, or when it is impossible for you to continue your studies without access to some University facilities.

I have an assessment in January. Will it still go ahead?

Assessments that were planned to take place online will continue as usual.

Assessments that were planned to take place on campus will be rearranged.

Any changes to assessment arrangements or deadlines will be notified to students on Minerva by the end of the day on 8 January. If you have any questions please contact your course tutor.

Are staff still required to work on campus?

Staff should work from home if they are able to do so unless they are required to work on campus, please check this with your line manager.

Will support for students who are self-isolating still be provided?

Yes, we will continue to support students who are self-isolating and information about that can be found under Support for students in halls.

Is the SU open during lockdown?

Unfortunately the shop, bar, cafe and reception will remain closed in line with Government guidelines.

Will clubs and societies be running during lockdown?

All clubs and societies are continuing to run, but unfortunately will not be able to run in person activities under the current restrictions. SU officers, clubs and societies are continuing to develop online resources and activities. Information can be found on the SU website and Social Space.

Is Oak Tree Nursery closed?

Oak Tree Nursery is remaining open for a reduced number of days and parents have been notified of the details of this.

I want to return to my term time accommodation in Bath, am I allowed to?

Wherever possible, you should remain where you are and not travel to access university facilities until the resumption of face-to-face teaching.

However, you may return to university earlier if you do not have access to appropriate alternative accommodation, facilities or studying space, or you need to return for health or safety reasons.

I’m due to return from a country outside the UK, what should I do?

If you are travelling back to university from a country outside the UK, please delay or rearrange your travel if you can do so without incurring costs.

When you arrive you will need to complete a passenger locator form and if you have travelled from a country without a COVID-travel corridor agreement with the UK, you should self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in your accommodation.

Please email with your arrival date and the details of where you have travelled, so that staff on site are aware of your isolation requirements.

What should I do if I can’t get in contact with my lecturer?

Lecturers are extremely busy adapting to the new lockdown requirements and many will also have childcare or other responsibilities to deal with, so please be patient.

If you need urgent assistance or if your lecturer does not reply within two working days please contact your course administrator, course leader or Head of School.

I am struggling financially due to the pandemic, what should I do?

The Bath Spa University Access Fund provides limited discretionary financial support for students who are experiencing financial difficulty and are unable to meet basic or unexpected additional costs from other sources of support.


The Government has also awarded the University some additional funds for students who may be experiencing financial difficulty and are unable to meet basic or unexpected additional costs from other sources of support. We have put these funds into a new scheme called the Pandemic Support Fund.


This new fund is open and accepting applications now. Please feel encouraged to apply to this fund. You may not have needed to apply for support funding before, but the pandemic and in particular this new lockdown has meant many more of you may be struggling financially. This money is for you and we want to award it all to our students who are in need.


Funds will be paid in the form of a non-repayable grant. If you have applied by 22 January 2021 then successful applicants should receive payment by 29 January 2021. Funds permitting, we will have subsequent rounds of applications, but the fund must close by the end of March.


Where can I find more information?

The Office for Students (OfS) has some further information.

If I have returned to my Bath accommodation do I have to have a LFT (lateral flow test)?

You are strongly advised to access a LFT. If you choose not to, it is recommended that you isolate for 10 days and limit contact with others in your household. Information about how you can access a test is on the COVID-19 testing page.

General FAQs

What are the symptoms?

The most important symptoms of COVID-19 are recent onset of any of the following:

  • A new continuous cough
  • A high temperature
  • A loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell

For most people, COVID-19 will be a mild illness. However, if you have any of the symptoms above you must stay at home and arrange to have a test to see if you have COVID-19.

What can I do to help stop the spread of COVID-19?

To ensure your health and safety and the health and safety of others, we ask you to do the following:

  1. Keep your distance
    Please maintain social distancing both inside and outside on campus. Observe the signs and one-way systems in buildings.
  2. Wear a face covering
    We require you to wear a face covering when you are inside buildings on campus, unless you are unable to because of a medical condition, disability or trauma.
  3. Clean your hands
    Please wash your hands regularly and make use of the new hand sanitiser stations at the entrances and inside buildings on campus.

We are conscious of the need to encourage our students and staff alike to behave respectfully towards one another and members of our community. To ensure we can protect our health and safety and the health and safety of others, we are asking everyone to commit to the Bath Spa Community Pledge. We hope the Pledge reinforces the core values of our University and reminds us all of our responsibilities to be good and respectful citizens.

What risk assessments have been carried out?

A general risk assessment for the University has been carried out and published.

How can I look after my mental health and wellbeing at this time?

You might be worried about COVID-19 and how it could affect your life. We have found a number of resources which you may find helpful, including how to take care of your mental health and wellbeing if you need to stay at home or avoid other people.

Our Employee Assistance Provider, Lifeworks, has lots of useful articles on looking after health and welfare. A summary of high level issues is provided below:

For more specific advice and guidance, please use their online resources using the following login details:

  • User ID: bathspa
  • Password: wellbeing

Student FAQs

How do I access classes online?

Each module in Minerva has been enhanced with a Virtual Classroom, you will find a link for this on the left menu above Unitu. The Virtual Classroom uses Blackboard Collaborate; guidance can be found on their website.

You may also be asked to join in sessions and have 1:1 tutorials with tutors using Google Hangouts Meet. Google has a really simple guide to getting connected that will walk you through how to join a meeting if you haven’t done this before. You may get a link in an email, or in your Google calendar. Don’t share links, you may end up in the wrong tutorial!
If you are not able to attend online for a session let the member of staff know in advance so that they can record the session to enable you to review it later on.

When you're working online adopt the same thinking you would if you were meeting face-to-face (you wouldn’t come to a tutorial in your pjs!). If you're using a webcam, check the background before you go online. Ideally, you should sit in front of a plain wall.

Do I need to wear a face covering on campus?

We require you to wear a face covering when you are inside buildings on campus, unless you are unable to because of a medical condition, disability or trauma. You should also maintain an appropriate social distance, both inside buildings and outside on campus.

If you are unable to wear a face covering because of a medical condition, disability or trauma, we invite you to wear an orange lanyard which you can collect from reception desk areas across campuses as well as the Students’ Union and security lodge at Newton Park. You can also request one by emailing

I have symptoms of COVID-19 and live in halls of residence, what should I do?

The first thing to do is to return to where you are living and self-isolate. You must contact NHS Test and Trace for further advice and inform the University - this is really important as we are here to support you and your household.

University halls of residence are usually considered households for the purposes of the household self-isolation policy. This means everyone in the household must self-isolate if a resident shows symptoms. Therefore, depending upon the circumstances, this would normally include those students living in the same cluster of flats or on the same floor who share cooking or washing facilities, or both.

It is imperative therefore that all students who are living in a hall of residence where someone has symptoms of COVID-19, take part in whole household isolation for 10 days based on their likelihood of being infected. In such cases a notice of infection must be displayed by all those concerned.

I have symptoms of COVID-19 and live in shared private accommodation, what should I do?

If anyone in your household develops COVID-19 symptoms, the first thing to do is seek advice. If there is a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus in your household, you must tell the University. We will support students who need to self-isolate.

The most recent Government advice is that all household members must stay at home and not leave your house for 10 days. The 10-day period starts from the day when the first person in your house became ill. Please refer to this Government advice on staying at home.

It is likely that people living within a household will infect each other or may already be infected. Staying at home for 10 days will greatly reduce the overall amount of infection the household could pass on to others in the community.

I’m/my household is self-isolating. How can we get food delivered?

If you have reported to the University that you are self-isolating, we have plans in place to support you with food and other essentials. We can also give you specific guidance about cleaning, waste disposal, laundry and post collections and deliveries. If you are self-isolating and haven’t yet told us, please complete this form as soon as possible.

I’m concerned that a friend has COVID-19 symptoms, but isn’t reporting them, what should I do?

If you feel able to, try and speak to them about your concerns. Remind them of the Community Pledge and their responsibility to other people. If you don’t feel able to, please email and your concerns will be discreetly and sensitively followed up.

What is classed as a ‘household’ in university accommodation?

When you move into your accommodation, your housemates become your household for the time you live with us. These are the people you will likely interact with the most each day. This household could include the other residents in your flat, or the people in your corridor (if you don’t live in a flat).

If I don’t get along with the people I am living with is it possible to move into alternative accommodation?

We want you to have the best experience you can and there is always someone you can speak with about any issues you are having.

If you are in University halls of residence, please contact in the first instance. If you are in privately-rented or other private halls the options are different. Please get in touch with Accommodation Services and speak with one of the team.

Your Students’ Union Advice Centre can also provide impartial and expert advice, and can be contacted at


Can I have visitors to my university accommodation?

Visitor Policy (updated 28 September 2020) - Visitors are not currently permitted within our halls of residence (with the exception of where students are still moving in and arriving).

Will the University reduce tuition fees as a result of COVID-19?

We are not planning to reduce any tuition fee because the University is open, teaching and supporting students both online and on campus. Students can also access the library, careers and support services. We are providing services as promised to students – just in a different way – which accommodates our need to protect their health at this time. We will also take into account any advice from the UK Government. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please raise these with your course tutor in the first instance.

What specification of laptop will I need to undertake my studies this year?

Due to health and safety measures you will need to use your own laptop or other device to undertake your studies this year. This means we can limit the sharing of equipment as much as possible.

We've identified a minimum laptop specification that will give you the basic functionality to complete your studies. Some courses may require a higher specification. If this is the case your course or subject leader will be able to advise you on the most suitable laptop for your course.


  • Intel® 7thGen or newer CPU – or AMD equivalent (1.6GHz or faster)
  • Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) version
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 250GB Hard Disk

(Additional storage may be required for large files)


  • MacBook Air 13-inch
  • 1.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i3 Intel Processor
  • OS X
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB Hard Disk

(Additional storage may be required for large files)

Can I get any help buying a laptop?

Bath Spa University is part of the Dell Advantage for Students programme, which means we can give you access to unique discounts on Dell consumer products all year round. Here's how:

  1. Learn more. Visit the Dell Advantage for Students page.
  2. Redeem your coupons by simply entering your University email address. Vouchers will be sent by email.
  3. Visit Dell. Choose from either Home or Work products. For your saving to be applied, make sure you add your relevant discount code at the checkout.

If you are using a Mac, visit our Academia portal for discounted Higher Education rates on the Apple range.

I don’t have access to a laptop, what should I do?

If you don't have access to a PC, laptop, Mac or a suitable device on which to access the virtual University environment, including learning, teaching and services, we may be able to help by supporting you with a non-repayable award of up to £500 from the Bath Spa University Laptop Fund.

Staff FAQs

What should I do if I am tested for COVID-19?

If you are tested for COVID-19 at any point please make sure you inform the University as soon as possible and complete this form. Please complete this same form to advise us of the outcome of this test and notify your line manager. If you have any questions about this please contact

If I need to work on campus, what health and safety training do I need to undertake?

All staff must complete a new online health and safety training ‘return to the workplace’.

Do members of staff have to wear a face covering?

All staff and students are required to wear face coverings when inside buildings including during all teaching sessions. We recognise that some staff may not be able to wear a face covering because of a medical condition, disability or trauma in which case you are invited to wear an orange lanyard.  Some staff may need to wear specific PPE if it has been deemed necessary, following a risk assessment.

Face visors are available to use in teaching and other student-facing settings to allow easier communication. However, an alternative face covering such as a mask, scarf or other garment should be worn over the face and nose at all other times when you are inside buildings.

You are not required to wear a face covering if you are:

  • Outside and at a distance of two metres or more
  • Inside working alone behind a Perspex screen
  • Inside working alone in a single occupancy office

Do I have to work on campus if I have previously been told to shield?

Any staff with concerns should have a discussion with their line manager and, if necessary, complete an individual risk assessment so any necessary arrangements can be put in place.

I am struggling to find adequate childcare outside of school hours and can’t work my usual hours, what should I do?

We would encourage you and your line manager to be as flexible as possible and focus on the outcome of work, rather than working hours.

Staff may wish to consider taking some days of annual leave to focus on childcare, or could consider requesting to work shorter hours temporarily if this would help to reduce anxiety over the burden of both work and childcare.

If I am working from home as a result of Covid-19, can I claim tax relief on the additional home costs that I am incurring?

You may be able to claim tax relief for additional household costs such as for heating and electricity, if you have to work at home on a regular basis, either for all or part of the week because of Covid-19.
If eligible, you can claim tax relief on £6 per week, which equates to a gain of £1.20 per week for a basic 20% rate tax payer and £2.40 a week for a higher rate 40% taxpayer. HMRC have confirmed that you can claim for the whole tax year, regardless of how many days you had to work from home, for so for basic rate taxpayers, you will gain a total of £62/year, and for higher rate taxpayers, £124/year.
The HMRC have set up a dedicated working from home microservice that will automatically apply the whole 2020/21 tax relief via your tax code. 
You will need to have your Government Gateway ID to use the microsite, but if you don't have one already, you can create one as part of the process.

As a line manager how can I best support my team members if they are working from home?

Guidance and best practice is available on Sulis. There is also additional guidance for all staff on the Working from Home page.

How can I support students?

We know that many staff may be approached by students with concerns about both their academic studies and their own health and wellbeing. Academic issues should be discussed with personal tutors, subject leaders and the Student Services team. Students can contact if they want to refer their queries directly to that team.

If a student raises a wellbeing concern please ask them to follow the advice on this page. Students can also contact Student Wellbeing Services at any time to discuss concerns by emailing or calling 01225 876543.

What should I do about my annual leave?

It is important for employee wellbeing that staff take annual leave, and especially so at this time and therefore we are actively encouraging staff to take their leave. If it is difficult to fit in taking leave in blocks of a full week, do consider taking days here and there instead.

Where can I find additional guidance on working from home?

Please see the working from home guidance on Sulis with information from IT on how to access your work securely, guidance from Health and Safety to ensure staff work from home safely and information for how to manage your work and keep in touch with your teams. Additional support for working from home is also available on Sulis.

Can I use my own device while working from home?

You can use your own device on trusted Wi-Fi/Broadband/3G/4G without VPN connection for Learning and Teaching purposes to access Minerva (Blackboard, Turnitin, Collaborate) and G Suite (Email, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts) as long as you can ensure the following:

  • You must not access Personally sensitive information about others.
  • You must not access or download “Red” data - as defined below.
  • You must use a trusted internet connection, such as your home broadband/wifi or a 3G / 4G hotspot.
  • You must “Check for Updates”, run a “Windows Update” and install all known patches.
  • You must have an up-to-date anti-virus / anti-malware installed and updated regularly.
  • Where possible, you should use a personal firewall on your device.
  • If you temporarily download any work related documents on your own device, you must delete it after you have finished.

For all other activity, you will need a device managed by IT Services.

“Red” data is defined as: data that if disclosed or inappropriately interpreted or changed would cause harm, or if destroyed would cause disruption. The most sensitive and valuable typically includes: assets with any Special Categories of Personal Data; any automated profiling characteristics or decision making or tracking of behaviour; any card or other payment details; any child subjects; any direct marketing; any security system details; any complaints or highly controversial or offensive content; any urgently required or safety critical information.

Community FAQs

How is the University operating?

We are providing a mixture of safe and socially distanced on-campus and online teaching and learning for our students. We know that the coronavirus pandemic situation can change quickly, so we are prepared for a number of different ‘stages’ of how we operate, depending on the situation we are in.

What health and safety measures has the University put in place?

Safety measures include social distancing; the use of face coverings; increased sanitation points; a mix of face-to-face and online learning; frequent email reminders of Government rules; reducing numbers on public transport and on campuses; using one-way routes and maximum occupancy restrictions; and creating Covid-compliant study and recreation spaces throughout the city.

The NHS Covid-19 app is now in operation across all our campuses, and all students and staff have been asked to download it, and scan into buildings each time they enter.

All students have been provided with clear instructions on what to do if a member of their household develops symptoms of Covid-19. This includes the entire household going into isolation and reporting it to the University immediately.

Plans are also in place to support students who are self-isolating and can’t leave their home. This includes helping provide food and other essential items along with wellbeing and mental health support.

What will the University do if there is an outbreak on campus?

In the event there is an outbreak of Covid-19 at the University, we will follow our Bath Spa University Local Outbreak Management Plan. Please note that the Local Outbreak Management Plan will be updated as guidance and situations, both locally and nationally, evolve.

What guidance is being given to students and staff?

We know we have an important duty to our community in Bath and have developed very detailed plans and guidance for our students and staff to make sure they are clear about how to adhere to both local and national rules including social distancing, the wearing of face coverings, hand washing and limits on social gatherings.

We have also given students instructions on what to do if a member of their household becomes ill, or develops symptoms of Covid-19. We have plans in place to support them if they need to self-isolate and can’t leave their home.

We are asking all international students to follow Government guidelines and self-isolate for two weeks on arrival. We are providing free accommodation to those students for the two week isolation period, including any student who will then move into private accommodation in town. We are delivering food and other necessities to these students so they do not need to leave their accommodation during that time. If any isolating students show signs of illness during the quarantine period, they, along with any flatmates, will be tested for Covid-19 and only allowed to end their quarantine on the direction of public health.

We have published our Local Outbreak Management Plan which explains the procedures we will follow in the event of an outbreak of Covid-19 at Bath Spa. 

We are conscious of the need to encourage our students and staff alike to behave respectfully towards one another and members of our community. We are asking everyone to commit to the Bath Spa Community Pledge. We hope the Pledge reinforces the core values of our University and reminds us all of our responsibilities to be good, respectful and compassionate citizens.

We are working in close collaboration with local public health and health protection teams and with the University of Bath, to ensure we have a joined-up approach. This is an unprecedented year for our students, staff and the wider community. We are very committed in our efforts to help ensure good public health and safety, both on and off our campuses.

How do I raise any concerns with the University?

If you have a concern about the behaviour of others, but feel unable to raise this with them directly, please contact putting “Covid Conduct – Escalated Concern” in the subject line. You can also share any concerns through Report and Support. We pledge to provide you with support and take the necessary steps to positively resolve the concern.

Edit section | Website feedback to