Bath Spa University Community Pledge
It's an extraordinary time to be part of the Bath Spa University community. The global coronavirus pandemic means that now, more than ever, we need to work to support each other, to behave appropriately and with consideration.
We ask everyone at the University to commit to the following pledge:
- I will follow Government and University guidance related to reducing the spread of COVID-19 and when on University campuses will observe any specific signage and guidance for that area. I understand that this is likely to change regularly so I will take personal responsibility for ensuring that I'm up to date with the latest information. If I begin to suffer with COVID-19 symptoms, I'll report these using the processes within the University, follow guidance to self-isolate, and get a test. I accept the role that I have to play in making sure that the areas where we live, work, socialise and study are as safe as they can be.
- I will show empathy, respect and due consideration to others – my friends and peers, my colleagues, my neighbours, my fellow humans who are part of the city of Bath community, and all of those who help me achieve my goals whilst at University. I note that this pledge sits alongside the University’s Harassment Policy, and that I have a duty to assist in establishing an environment in which harassment, bullying and victimisation are unacceptable. I acknowledge that I may not know other people’s personal circumstances and that it is therefore vital that I remain attentive, follow the appropriate guidance, and respond positively to the concerns of others.
- I understand the importance of providing friendship, helping people avoid loneliness and isolation, and supporting others. Therefore, I'll look out for my friends and those I live, learn or work with. If I have a concern about someone, I'll raise this with an appropriate person (tutor, line manager, Student Wellbeing Services, Students’ Union etc.) so that help and support can be offered. All members of the Bath Spa University Community can access Report and Support.
- I will be inclusive and supportive of those around me. If I see others behaving inappropriately and contrary to guidance, I'll raise my concerns directly with those people in an open, constructive, and polite manner. Where I feel unable to safely challenge, I'll use the method outlined at the bottom of this pledge to raise the concern with specialist staff within the University.
- If I am challenged about my behaviour I will respond in an open, positive, and respectful manner – listening carefully to understand the concern, and changing my behaviour accordingly. I understand and accept that wilfully and repeatedly breaching University guidance is an act of misconduct and could lead to me being subject to the University Disciplinary Procedure. If I see situations that are contrary to guidance, I'll remove myself from those situations as soon as possible.
- I know that this is an ever developing situation – one which requires everyone’s ongoing attention and vigilance. I commit to continuing to learn about the issues arising from this global pandemic and to do all that I can to ensure that everyone in our community has the best experience they can.
If you have a concern about the behaviour of others, but feel unable to raise this with them directly, please contact email@example.com putting “Covid Conduct – Escalated Concern” in the subject line. You can also share any concerns through Report and Support. We pledge to provide you with support and take the necessary steps to positively resolve the concern.
If the situation is urgent, or you feel that you're at risk of physical and verbal abuse, you can access support from University Security and Student Wellbeing Services by calling +44(0)1225 875555/+44(0)1225 876543 or the Police (off-campus) by calling 999.