Support for students in halls

Support for students and households in University halls of residence

If you are living in University halls of residence and have to self-isolate as a result of COVID-19 you must contact NHS Test and Trace for further advice and inform the University as soon as possible. This is really important as we are here to support you and your household.

This diagram explains what happens when someone in your household has symptoms of COVID-19.

This diagram explains what happens if someone in your household has symptoms of COVID-19.

Below are some frequently asked questions and answers which explain the support we can offer you. If you have a question that is not answered here, please email


How can I get my post?

With your permission, we can deliver mail and parcels to your household during your isolation period. You will receive an email from the Post Room Send Suite tracking system if a signed for parcel is delivered for you.

Email stating that you give our department, permission to collect your parcel on your behalf. We will then collect any mail from your mailbox and deliver it with any parcels to outside the door of your household.

Although we aim to deliver mail and parcels within 48 hours Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 4.00pm this may not always be possible. Please be aware that no parcels will be delivered Saturdays or Sundays. We accept no responsibility for the mail or parcels you request for us to deliver on your behalf.

My friends/family want to deliver items to me - are they allowed?

Yes, they can deliver items to reception at Green Park House, or drop off to the front door of your accommodation block.

If you are at Green Park House please liaise with reception to advise when items are due to be delivered.

How do I get food if I’m self-isolating?

There are many ways that you can purchase food and essential items if you need to self-isolate. There are a range of supermarkets and other outlets that provide a delivery service. Please find examples below.

You can order cooked food and groceries from BSU Students’ Union via the Student Orders App.

BSU Hospitality Services operate a delivery service across Newton Park Campus. Bath Spa University - Online Ordering

  • Morrisons Supermarket provide a “Doorstep Delivery” service for self-isolating students.  Students need to telephone  03456116111 or email with their shopping list. This will be picked and then delivered the next day between 10.00-18.00 (no specific time slot given but this shouldn’t be a problem as those isolating should not be leaving their rooms/premises). A fee of £2.00 for delivery is charged. No minimum spend. Payment is made via contactless card machine on delivery. 
  • Amazon can provide almost anything you need – often with same day or next day delivery. As a registered student you will qualify for Amazon Prime free of charge, which means you’ll benefit from free and super-fast delivery too! To access this service, please go to and type Amazon Pantry in the search bar. If you order through this service please ensure you inform the post room or Green Park House reception, so delivery to your room can be arranged.
  • There are a variety of supermarkets that offer online delivery services. Here are some examples of places you can order your food and essential items:

All large supermarkets deliver to private residences. Delivery slots are available to pre-book, although you may not be able to book one immediately, so allow up to a week to find a suitable delivery slot.

If you experience any problems with arranging a food delivery, please contact the University and we will help.

Does the Refectory do takeaways and home delivery?

We offer  a daily delivery & click & collect service  from 10.00am-7.30pm Monday-Thursday and 10.00am-5.00pm on Friday.

Daily menus change. We are adding a Grocery selection onto the service too.


Online Ordering Postcard

Can I order online from the SU and do they deliver?

You can order hot food from the bar to be delivered via the Student Orders App.

You can also order a range of popular foods, toiletries and household items to be delivered from the SU shop using the Student orders App. 

How do I get rid of rubbish?

If you are self-isolating all rubbish must be double bagged. If you need additional bags please email and they will be left at your door.  

Our team will remove this rubbish from designated external bins (these are labeled ‘Covid waste’).

Will you clean shared spaces of flats/houses, or will we need to do this ourselves? If so, will you provide cleaning products for us to use to clean the shared spaces ourselves?

When a household is isolating communal spaces in flats and houses in halls will not be cleaned by the University. The only exception to this rule are the shared showers and toilets in Lakeside and E Block in Green Park House.

We expect students to keep communal areas as clean as possible and are happy to provide cleaning products if required (along with safety data sheets). If students are using our chemicals we expect them to familiarise themselves with the data sheets and use the chemicals in the correct manner.  

Please either log a WMS to domestic services or email

Am I allowed to smoke?

Smoking is not permitted inside any building under any circumstance. If you wish to smoke you may do so only at the designated smoking shelters.

You must wear a face covering to and from the smoking shelter. Please try and avoid using the smoking shelters while in use by others. If there are other people present you must remain two meters apart from them.

What do I do if I hear the fire alarm?

It is important that even while isolating you evacuate the building upon hearing the fire alarm.

It is vital to make sure you practice social distancing in this situation by remaining two metres from anyone else outside of your residence and wear a face covering at all times.

What if something breaks in my accommodation - will you fix it?

If the issue is a Category 1, including loss or power, loss of water, major leak that is a risk of flooding or serious damage to property, Maintenance will attend.

The household or individual student will be required to leave the space to enable staff to safely access and fix the issue.

If the issue is less critical, you can still request a fix and this will be attended to after your isolation has finished.

How do I use the laundry if I’m isolating?

Students who are self-isolating are not allowed to access the laundry facilities and should wait for 72 hours after their period of isolation ends before using communal laundry facilities.

If anyone experiences significant difficulties as a result of not being able to access this facility, please email and we will help.

How do I report a noise complaint?

Please contact Security on 01225 875555  in the first instance who can investigate while the noise issue is happening or email if you would like to report an issue retrospectively.

I’m not experiencing any Covid symptoms - can I move accommodation?

Please contact the accommodation team at Moves will be considered if deemed safe to do so.

I don’t think I’m coping - how can I access support?

Student Wellbeing Services (SWS) are a good first point of contact. You can access 1 to 1 appointments with a mental health practitioner, disability advisor or speak with a wellbeing advisor about general concerns.

Email: to arrange a time to speak.

SWS works with external partners to provide free access for Bath Spa students to a range of 24/7 digital platforms and services, enabling and supporting student wellbeing and mental health. You can find out more about these below.

All resources are free for Bath Spa students, providing you sign in with your University email address (

  • Togetherall - a confidential peer and professional led support network, offering creative tools, short courses and useful resources. This platform is web-based.
  • TalkCampus - peer support network for mental health, connecting you with students and others when you want to speak about how you’re feeling in a safe and supportive way, or when you’re feeling isolated or alone. This platform is app-based.
  • UniWellbeing - using the five ways to wellbeing this enables you to track your mood, thoughts and habits, to make positive changes. Contains short self-help courses and signposting to useful University services. This platform is app-based, downloadable by searching ‘Bath Spa UniWellbeing’ in the Apple or Google Play stores. 
  • Shout - a free 24/7 text messaging service for anyone in crisis, anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help. To use the service just text BSU to 85258.
  • Student Space (led by Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity) - this service aims to make it easier for you to find the support you need during the coronavirus pandemic.
  • Report and Support - an online reporting tool for when you see or experience something that is not OK. You can submit a report anonymously, or request a call back from an advisor. 

What do I do if I feel ill?

If you have a high temperature, a new continuous cough, or loss of sense of smell or taste, you need to contact the NHS and request a test.

Please let the University know you are experiencing symptoms by completing this form.

If you are isolating as part of a household and you feel unwell for other reasons, please call the health centre you are registered with.

Many BSU students will have registered with the University Medical Service and you can arrange to speak with a Doctor, or request a repeat prescription by calling: 01225 331616.

If you need any help to get a repeat prescription please email: and we will arrange collection and delivery for you.

I'm living in The Depot student accommodation in Bath, what support is available?

Student Roost has set up a support service for anyone living in The Depot who needs to self-isolate to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Just text ‘SUPPORT’ to 07984 444998 (text only, standard rate text charges apply), and someone will call you back as soon as possible between 8am and 7pm, 7 days a week. They'll then work closely with the people working in your property to make sure you get the help you need to maintain your health and wellbeing. If you can’t use this number, just talk to the Student Roost team in your accommodation.

Edit section | Website feedback to