Our cultural partnership builds on a long-standing relationship between the Museum and the University.
Outstanding projects, exhibitions, displays, lectures and placements have enabled the two institutions to explore and develop shared goals of excellence in arts enterprise and education, drawing on the Holburne’s unique collection and site. The defining characteristic of this ground-breaking partnership is the cultural strength of both institutions, with Bath Spa University voted by students as one of the top creative universities in the UK, and the Holburne establishing its reputation as one of Europe’s leading small museums.
Through our partnership with them, the Holburne Museum provides:
- opportunities for collaborative research, exhibitions, publications and projects;
- contribution to the development of taught academic programmes, specifically in the areas of art and design, heritage, history, and arts management; and
- opportunities for students and staff to expand their personal and professional development.
The University’s engagement with our Collection brings the Museum to life. Creative student interpretations of our artworks allow our visitors to experience the Holburne in new ways, opens up art to all areas of academic enquiry, and provides a valuable platform to explore joint research.
Some notable examples of collaboration since the partnership was established include
- 'Muse: The Collection Inspires' an exhibition of new and thought-provoking work created by the MA Ceramics and Textiles students in response to the Holburne’s collection
- 'The Moving Exhibition' a series of students’ interventionist music and dance performances in response to the exhibits and spaces at the Holburne
- Special displays designed by the BA 3D Design: Idea Material Object students
- 'Up Late' events planned by MA Heritage in Context students
- Workshops with students from BA Education studies and PGCE courses.