A series of practical InDesign evening classes culminating in a printed mock-up of your own magazine-style layout.
- Produce magazine layouts in Adobe InDesign and print your six to eight page mock-up to take away with you.
- Develop knowledge of type and image placement, and how text and photographs interact on the page.
- Learn from Bath-based freelance photographer, designer and publisher Lucy Jane Saunders.
Learn how to produce a commercial standard, multi-paged document within Adobe InDesign that resembles a magazine layout. Develop knowledge of type, placement of photographs and images, and learn how text and photographs can interact on the page. You'll go away with your own publication format and an initial understanding of Adobe InDesign.
Workshop time and dates:
- Tuesday evenings 6pm – 7.30pm
- Starts 10 March 2020 and runs for five sessions
What you'll do
Part one: initial inspiration
- Terminology within book production
- Inspirational content
- Magazine structure
Part two: initial setup
- Getting started: setting a basic multi-page document in InDesign
- Tool referencing in InDesign
- Keyboard shortcuts in InDesign
Part three: creative elements
- Text formatting and typography
- Photography layouts and placement
- Text and image overlays and their interaction
- Using master pages
Part four: creating your own magazine layout
- Practical production: creating a 6-8 page running document
- Saving the project into a print-ready format
- Printing the pages to show a dummy mock-up of a potential spread on the printed page
- View and review
The course will take place at our Locksbrook Campus in Bath.
The fee for the programme is £150 for all five sessions.
About your tutor
Lucy Saunders is a British freelance photographer and designer based in Bath. Having initially trained in Photography at Bath Spa University, Lucy gradated with a First Class honours degree and has a wealth of other talents within book production and publishing.
In 2017 Lucy started her own magazine and business, Flourish, and launched volume one, A Snippet of Asia, in March 2018. Flourish has since thrived, winning the Young Creative Award at the 2018 Creative Bath Awards.
Working in print publishing, Lucy has a broad range of editorial and commercial experience in both photography and design. The key focus of her work is travel and lifestyle. Her other documentary work, Boots, Tracks & Biscuits, was also shortlisted in the 2017 Unveil’d Photobook Awards, exhibited at Borough Road Gallery in London. Her documentary photography work can also be found in Rankin’s latest book, This is Britain.
To book, or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.