Learn how to make and print a photo-etching plate from your own digital photographs.
- Learn to prepare your digital photos for etching using Photoshop.
- Understand the history and development of photo-etching.
- Experiment with monochrome and colour printing.
After a short introduction to photo-etching and its historical and contemporary contexts, we'll prepare your choice of digital photographs for photo-etching before making multiple etching plates.
Working in both monochrome and colour, you'll learn to etch your own designs in a supportive environment.
Workshop date and times:
- 14 March 2020
- 9.30am – 4.30pm
About your tutor
Penny Grist is an artist printmaker with over 30 years' experience of teaching and running workshops. She teaches printmaking on the BA (Hons) Graphic Communication course at Bath Spa University. Her first degree was in Fine Art (painting) followed by a Printmaking Diploma and an MA in Interactive Multimedia.
What you'll do
- A short introduction to photo-etching, referencing historical and contemporary practice and looking at examples from our student archive
- Preparing digital photographs for photo-etching using Photoshop
- Making Photo-polymer plates using the UV exposure unit
- Making single etching plates, and printing in monochrome
- Making multiple etching plates, and registering and printing in colour
- Printing on our Rochat Etching press.
The course will take place at our Locksbrook Campus campus in Bath.
The fee for this programme is £80, inclusive of materials.
What to bring
All materials, including etching plates and printmaking papers, are provided. Bring a choice of digital photographs to work from, saved on a memory stick. They should
be at least 300dpi, saved as JPG or TIF files. Aprons and gloves are provided.
How to pay
To make your card payment and secure your place, please call The Art Shop +44(0)1225 876366 between 9am–4pm and one of our team will take your payment over the phone.
Payment is required seven days before the start of the course.
To book, or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.