Once you have received your visa you are ready to make your arrangements for travelling to the UK and arriving in Bath.

This may be your first time travelling to the UK and living away from home. The experience can be both exciting and overwhelming and you may not know what to expect when you finally arrive.

The below information will help you prepare for your journey to the UK and your first few weeks here, the International Advice Service are on hand to answer your questions so please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any worries or questions.

As well as our website, you will find a wealth of information and helpful guides on the British Council website.

When you arrive

You must:

  • Be in the UK and ready for study at the beginning of each term
  • Register with the police within 7 days of arrival if you are required to do so. This is determined by your nationality. Please read the information about police registration below
  • Pick up your BRP card from the local post office.


When travelling to the UK, there are a few things to consider, in particular whether you can use the new eGates.

The Home Office have announced, that from Monday the 20th May 2019, nationals from the below countries will be permitted to use the new eGates which are in place at 15 airports and Eurostar rail terminals in the UK:

• Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, or the USA

Entering the UK as a short-term student

If you are a national of one of the countries listed above, and you are applying as a short-term student on entry to the UK, it is important that you DO NOT use the eGates on arrival at the port.

If you use the eGates, you will be admitted as a Visitor and not as a short-term student.

You will not be able to register on to your course if you do not have the correct short-term study visa stamp.

You must therefore ensure that you seek entry as a short-term student by going to the admission queues that will enable you to speak to a Border Force officer. You will then be issued with the valid short-term study visa stamp in your passport that will allow you to study.

Tier 4 (General) students

If you are a national from one of the above listed countries and you hold a valid Tier 4 visa (either as a vignette or BRP) and a biometric passport, you (and your dependant over the age of 12) can use the automated eGates, free of charge, on arrival into the UK.

If you enter the UK on or after the date your Tier 4 visa becomes valid, your visa will self-activate without the requirement for a Border Force officer’s stamp at the border.

It is advisable that you keep copies of evidence that prove you entered the UK within the validity of your visa, just in case your date of entry ever becomes important or relevant.

Acceptable evidence of entry to the UK may include a boarding card, ticket or booking confirmation for travel to the UK.

We have put together an Interim Enrolement Framework in response to the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak in the UK and around the world. This framework is subject to change and will be updated in line with UKVI announcements or transitional immigration legislative changes. This framework outlines the University approach to enrolment for the 2020/21 intake.

Entering the UK via the Republic of Ireland

The UK and the Republic of Ireland are part of a Common Travel Area (CTA); the CTA streamlines arrival to the UK from the Republic of Ireland for most travellers because there is no immigration control between the two countries.

If you are a Tier 4 student or a visa national applying for a short-term student visa, you will need to obtain entry clearance (a visa) prior to travelling to the UK. If you have obtained a visa from your home country, it will be fine for you to travel via the Republic of Ireland. We do however recommend that you keep your boarding passes or travel itinerary in a safe place in case you ever need to evidence your date of arrival in the UK.

If you are a non-visa national and you plan to request entry as a short-term student when you arrive in the UK, you should make sure you do NOT travel via the Republic of Ireland. If you do not meet with UK immigration control, you will not receive the correct immigration permission to study in the UK.

Further information can be found on the UKCISA website.

Biometric Residence Permits

Biometric Residence Permits or BRPs are secure ID cards which contain personal details and biometric information for those who have applied for permission to come to the UK for more than 6 months.  They are similar in size and function to an ID card.

If you selected to use the Alternative Collection Location Code (ACL) code for Bath Spa when you made your visa application, then your BRP will be delivered to us. Please have ready your passport with your Entry Clearance Vignette (sticker) and your decision letter from UK Visas and Immigration. If your BRP has arrived, you will be able to collect it during enrolment.

If you did not select the ACL delivery process, then please go to the post office in Bath city centre to collect your BRP. Thousands of students collect their BRP from this post office each year and it should be a simple, easy process.

Address: 27 Northgate St, Bath BA1 1AJ

Police registration

The condition to register with the police is given to people who are from one of the below nationalities and who are in the UK on a Tier 4 visa for more than six months:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

If you're required to register with the police, the condition is likely to be printed on your 30-day vignette (and, possibly, no other document) or, if you've been granted leave to remain following an application made in the UK, on your biometric residence permit (BRP).

You must go to the police within seven days of you:

  • Arriving in the UK if you applied for a visa from outside the UK
  • Getting your biometric residence permit if you applied to stay for longer from inside the UK.

There's a fee of £34 to register with the police. When you register, you'll receive a Police Registration Certificate.

How to register with the Avon and Somerset Police

To register and book your appointment, visit the Avon and Somerset Police website.

You'll need to visit the online registration and appointment portal to book your appointment.

You can't save your application and come back to it later, so make sure you have the relevant information in front of you before you begin.

You'll need:

  • Your personal details, UK address (and postcode) and your contact details - please check that you have the full address, including room number or house/flat number, and a family member’s details (if applicable)
  • Your passport
  • Your Visa/BRP/Home Office decision letter showing the requirement to register with the police
  • Your study details – your offer letter of CAS
  • The ability to upload a passport style photograph.

When you've completed the online registration, you'll be required to make an appointment to register in person.

When you go to your appointment, you must bring your:

  • Passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit – BRP - (if you have one) or your 30-day entry clearance vignette
  • UK Visas and Immigration decision letter or email 
  • £34 registration fee in cash.

Our nearest Registration Unit is:

Bath Foreign National Registration Unit
One Stop Shop
3-4 Manvers Street
01278 645566

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday, 8AM-12:45PM and 2PM-3.15PM.

Reporting changes of circumstances

You must also ensure that you update the police within seven days if you change address during your studies; extend your Tier 4 leave; renew your passport; get married; or if any of the other details on your Police Registration Certificate change

You can find more information on the Avon and Somerset Police and GOV.UK websites.

Edit section | Website feedback to