Ana is an empirical freshwater ecologist with a multidisciplinary training in environmental microbiology; water quality chemistry and monitoring; wetland, ecosystem services, remediation and restoration of polluted aquatic environments; and water treatment processes.
At Bath Spa, she is responsible for orchestrating the field surveys and laboratory activities for the ecological component of the RESPiRES project in the UK whilst contributing to the development of suitable methods and techniques. She is particularly interested in understanding and quantifying the ecological and functional traits of the phytoplankton and phytobenthos communities from Bristol urban waters.
Ana’s recent research focused on the underlying physical, chemical and biological mechanisms of biofiltration processes from a floating constructed wetland in a surface reservoir to reduce algal load prior to a potable water treatment works. She developed a multiple and simultaneous organic chemistry method for quantifying biochemical responses to environmental stressors from macrophytes in aquatic environments.
Ana is also interested in understanding nutrient/metal contamination pathways from catchment to water sources and control of cyanobacteria blooms.
- PhD Chemical and Environmental Engineering - University of Oxford
- MSc Aquatic Ecology and Ecosystem Change - University of Bristol
- MSc Microbiology and Parasitology - Complutense University of Madrid
- BSc (Hon) Zoology Specialist - Complutense University of Madrid
- Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC)
- British Ecological Society (BES)
- Freshwater Biological Association (FBA)
- International Water Association (IWA)
- British Phycological Society (BPS)
Other external roles
Ana’s expertise in water-related topics is underpinned by academic and professional experience. Her experience in the water industry spans over 10 years working in various capabilities. She is an environmental consultant and founder of AquaCyan® Consultants Ltd.
- Science of the Total Environment (Certified Reviewer)
- Journal of Water Process Engineering (Certified Reviewer)
- Journal of Cleaner Production
Areas of expertise
- Freshwater ecology
- Water quality
- Water treatment processes
Academic outputs and impact
- Castro-Castellón, A.T., Ponce Gordo, F. and Martínez Díaz, R.A (2004) Índice-catálogo de protozoos parásitos en aves de cría y consumo. Madrid: Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- Hughes, J.M.R., Clarkson, B., Castro-Castellón, A.T. and Higgs, L. (2018) ‘Wetland plants and aquatic macrophytes’ in Hughes, J.M.R. (ed.) Freshwater ecology and conservation: a handbook of techniques. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 173-202.
- Castro-Castellón, A.T., Chipps, M.J., Hughes, J.M.R. and Hankins, N.P. (2014) ‘Living-Filter: an in-reservoir biofiltration system’, in Nakamoto N., Graham N.J., Collins M.R. and Gimbel R. (eds.) Progress in slow sand and alternative biofiltration processes. London: IWA Publishing, pp. 405-412.
Whitehead, P.G., Bussi, G., Hughes, J.M.R., Castro-Castellón, A.T., Norling, M.D., Jeffers, E.S., Rampley, C.P.N., Read, D.S. and Horton, A.A. (2021) 'Modelling microplastics in the River Thames: sources, sinks and policy implications.' Water, 13 (6), article 861. ISSN 2073-4441.
Castro-Castellón, A.T, Hughes, J.M.R., Read, D.S., Azimi, Y., Chipps, M.J. and Hankins, N.P. (2021) 'The role of rhizofiltration and allelopathy on the removal of cyanobacteria in a continuous flow system.' Environmental Science and Pollution Research. ISSN 0944-1344.
- Castro-Castellón, A.T., Chipps M.J., Hankins, N.P. and Hughes, J.M.R. (2016) ‘Lessons from the “Living-Filter”: an in-reservoir floating treatment wetland for water treatment works’, Ecological Engineering, 95, pp. 839-851.
- Spears, B.M., Lürling, M., Yasseri, S., Castro-Castellon, A.T., Gibbs, M., Meis, S., McDonald, C., McIntosh, J., Sleep, D. and Van Oosterhout, F. (2013) ‘Lake responses following lanthanum-modified bentonite clay (Phoslock®) application: an analysis of water column lanthanum data from 16 case study lakes’, Water Research, 4(15), pp. 5930-5942.
- Ponce Gordo, F., Herrera, S., Castro, A.T., Garcı́a Durán, B. and Martı́nez Dı́az, R.A. (2002) ‘Parasites from farmed ostriches (Struthio camelus) and rheas (Rhea americana) in Europe’, Veterinary Parasitology, 107(1-2), pp. 137-160.
- Martínez-Díaz, R.A., Castro, A.T., Herrera, S. and Ponce, F. (2001) ‘First report of the genus Retortamonas (Sarcomastigophora: Retortamonadidae) in birds’, Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, 96(7), pp. 961-963.
- Martı́nez-Dı́az, R.A., Herrera, S., Castro, A. and Ponce, F. (2000) ‘Entamoeba sp. (Sarcomastigophora: Endamoebidae) from ostriches (Struthio camelus) (Aves: Struthionidae)’, Veterinary Parasitology, 92(3), pp. 173-179.
- Workshop on Earth Observation in Water Management H2020 SPACE-O, IWA, Vienna, 6 December 2018
- Chemical Engineering Day, Engineering Science Dept. University of Oxford, 20 April 2018.
- Oxford Water Network Seminar, School of Geography and Environment, University of Oxford, 1 March 2018.
- Third IWA Symposium in Lakes and Reservoir Management, Pembroke, Virginia, USA, 4–8 August 2015.
- Tenth Constructed Wetland and eighth European Waste Water Management, Manchester, UK, 7–8 October 2014.
- Fifth International Slow Sand and Alternative Biological Filtration, Nagoya, Japan 18–21 June 2014.
- Sixth Conference of the UK Network on Potable Water and Supply, Vincent Lecture Theatre, Cranfield University, UK, 12 September 2013.
- Second IWA Symposium on Lake and Reservoir Management: Sustainable Approaches to Enhance Water Quality. Granada, 13-17 June 2011.
Conference proceedings and poster presentation
- Castro, Ana; Youdan, Jane; Shapland, Helen. (2006) Preliminary report of seasonal variation of phytoplankton in three interconnected shallow reservoirs in South West England. Proceedings of sixth International Symposium on Use of Algae for Monitoring Rivers, Balatonfüred. Hungary. Acs, Eva, Keve T. Kiss, Judit Padisak (eds.), pp.192. ISBN:9630604973.
- RA Martínez-Díaz, Ana T Castro Castellón, L Corraleche, C Pérez, Francisco Ponce Gordo (2000) Prevalence of parasitism from Cryptosporidium, Balantidium and Entamoeba from farm ostriches in Spain. In: Globalización medioambiental: perspectivas agrosanitarias y urbanas. Editores: Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente, Secretaría General Técnica. Madrid, pp.395-398. ISBN: 8449104580.
- RA Martínez Díaz, AT Castro Castellón, L Corraleche, F Ponce Gordo, N López Medina (2000) First data on the parasitism by protozoan in ratites in the Iberian Peninsula. In: Globalización Medioambiental. Perspectivas Agrosanitarias y Urbanas Editores Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente, Secretaría General Técnica Madrid, pp. 399-404. ISBN: 8449104580.