Professor Anita Taylor is a practicing artist, exhibition organiser, published writer and Executive Dean of Bath School of Art and Design. Anita studied Foundation in Art and Design at Mid-Cheshire College of Art (1980-81), BA (Hons) Fine Art: Painting (First Class) at Gloucestershire College of Art (1981-84) and MA Painting at the Royal College of Art, London (1985-87). She was Artist-in-Residence at Durham Cathedral (1987-88); Cheltenham Fellow in Painting (1988-89), and Artist-in-Residence at the National Art School Sydney with the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (2004). She is currently an Adjunct Professor of the University of Sydney affiliated to Sydney College of the Arts.
Prior to becoming the Executive Dean of Bath School of Art and Design at Bath Spa University in 2013, Anita was:
- Director and CEO of the National Art School in Sydney, Australia (2009-13)
- Director of The Centre for Drawing, a University-wide Research Centre of the University of the Arts London and Dean of Wimbledon College of Art (2006-09)
- Vice Principal of Wimbledon School of Art, London (2004-06)
- Deputy Head of Art, Media and Design at the University of Gloucestershire (2001-2003) where she was previously Head of the School of Fine Art (2000-01), Subject Leader of Painting (1991-2000) and was awarded her first Professorial Title (2002)
- Senior Lecturer in Fine Art at Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham Polytechnic (1989-91).
Visiting and Associate Lecturer roles have included:
- The Prince’s Drawing School, London; Lancaster University
- Royal College of Art, London
- University of Central England
- Newcastle Polytechnic (BA Fine Art)
- Central St Martins
- Coventry Polytechnic
- Nottingham/Trent Polytechnic
- Sheffield City Polytechnic
- Sunderland Polytechnic.
Anita is experienced as a research degree supervisor in the fields of Drawing, Fine Art and Public Arts and as an internal and external examiner in Art and Design. An experienced peer reviewer of research, she has served on the Art and Design Panel for the UK RAE2008, the Hong Kong RAE 2014; and as a member of the Peer Review College for the Arts and Humanities Research Council.
She is the founding Director of the Jerwood Drawing Prize project, the pre-eminent annual open exhibition for drawing in the UK. Each year c70 drawings are selected from an annual submission of 3-3,500 works by an independent panel of three distinguished subject experts, who usually comprise an artist, a curator and a writer. The annual exhibition is accompanied by an edited fully illustrated catalogue and tours widely in the UK, commencing at The Jerwood Space, London. The Jerwood Charitable Foundation became the principal benefactor in 2001. Other exhibition projects have included programming for the gallery at Wimbledon School of Art and the NAS Gallery in Sydney and curatorial projects for the Jerwood Encounters series and exhibitions such as Drawing Breath (2006) and Drawn Together: Artist as Selector (2014) in relation to the wider Jerwood Drawing Prize project and archives.
Anita is co-author of Drawing (Cassell Illustrated, 2003), and has contributed articles for publications that include The Guardian, Craft Arts International and Garageland, and has contributed to a number of key publications on drawing. She has chaired, organised and presented at symposia and conferences on a range of topics relevant to Art and Design.
Anita exhibits her work nationally and internationally, and works are held in the collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum; The Wilson, Cheltenham; Royal West of England Academy; The Jerwood Foundation, Jerwood Gallery, Hastings; National Art School, Sydney, Australia; University of Gloucestershire; University of Sunderland; Leicestershire Collection for Schools and Colleges; Leeds Education Authority; Royal College of Art.
- MA Royal College of Art
- BA(Hons) Gloucestershire
Membership of professional bodies
- Institutional Memberships: Council for Higher Education in Art and Design (CHEAD)
- 2009 Elected Ordinary Member (Artist), Chelsea Arts Club
- 2004 Elected Academician (RWA), Royal West of England Academy
- Fine Art
External examiner roles
Taught Postgraduate and Undergraduate Course External Examiner roles:
- 2008-11 MA Fine Art at City and Guilds London School of Art for City of Birmingham University
- 2004-07 BA (Hons) Fine Art; Painting and Drawing at University of Huddersfield
- 2004-07 BA Hons Fine Art Painting and Drawing and MA Contemporary Practice for University of Huddersfield at Nanyang Academy of Fine Art, Singapore
- 2003-05 BA (Hons) Art; BA (Hons) Art and Art History at Lancaster University
- 2001-04 MA Art and Design for University of Plymouth at Exmouth, Falmouth School of Art, and Willem de Kooning Academie, Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam
- 2000-03 MA Painting at Royal College of Art, London
- 1996-00 Dip.HE Integrated Art and Design, University of the West of England at Weston College
- 1996-98 Dip.HE Fine Art for The London Institute at Kolej Bandar Utama, Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia
- 1995-99 BA (Hons) Fine Art: Painting at Central St Martins, The London Institute
Research Degree External Examiner appointments:
- 2012 PhD (Visual Arts), Monash University, Australia
- 2012 PhD (Printmaking), University of Tasmania, Australia
- 2012 DCA (Painting), University of Wollongong, Australia
- 2012 Phd (Drawing and Painting), Griffith University, Australia
- 2011 PhD (Creative Arts), University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2009 PhD (Drawing), Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
- 2001 MPhil (Painting), Royal College of Art, London, UK
Other External Roles
- 2013-17 Adjunct Professor, University of Sydney, affiliated to Sydney College of the Arts
External Research Review Appointments:
- 2013-15 University Grants Committee, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region: Hong Kong Research Exercise RAE2014, Creative Arts, Performing Arts and Design Panel Member
- 2009 Arts and Humanities Research Council UK Specialist Reviewer in Drawing
- 2005-08 Higher Education Funding Councils of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Research Assessment Exercise RAE2008, Art and Design Panel Member
- 2004-07 Arts and Humanities Research Council UK Peer Review College Member
External Validation and Institutional Review Panel appointments:
- 2013 University of Wales Trinity St David, Panel Member for Validation of Undergraduate programmes in Art and Design and Automotive Engineering at Wuhan University of Technology, China
- 2011 Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland, New Zealand, Review Committee, International External Panel Member
- 2005 Manchester Metropolitan University, Validation Panel, BA (Hons) Fine Art
- 2004 London Metropolitan University, Realignment and Validation Panel for the Sir John Cass School of Art, Media and Design within London Metropolitan University
- 2003 City and Guilds London School of Art/University of Central England, Validation Panel, BA (Hons) and MA Fine Art
- 2003 The Arts Institute, Bournemouth, Validation Panel, BA (Hons) Fine Art
- 2002 Wimbledon School of Art, London, Review Panel, The Centre for Drawing
- 1999 Wimbledon School of Art, London, Validation Panel MA Fine Art Painting Stage 1 and 2 and re-validation of MA Fine Art (Drawing, Print, Sculpture)
- 1997 City and Guilds, London / University of Central England, Validation Panel BA Fine Art
- 1991-94 Wimbledon School of Art, London, Course Adviser, BA Fine Art (Painting)
- 1993-94 Royal Forest of Dean College, Validation Panel, Access Course (Art and Design)
- 1993 Bridgewater College, Validation Panel, Access Course (Art and Design)
Board and Advisory roles/appointments include:
- 2011-13 International Association of Independent Art Schools, Board Member (Treasurer 2012-13)
- 2007-09 Jerwood Visual Arts Series, Jerwood Charitable Foundation Planning Group
- 2007-09 Royal West of England Academy, Member of Council
- 2007-09 Royal West of England Academy, Member of the Appeal Committee
- 2007-09 Wimbledon College of Art Charitable Trust, Trustee
- 2007-08 International Association of Independent Art Schools, Board Member
- 2006-07 University of the Arts London, Court of Governors, Staff Governor
- 2006 TRACEY, e-journal dedicated to drawing, Loughborough University, Editorial Board
- 2006 University of Hertfordshire Research into Practice Conference, Peer Reviewer
- 2005-06 Arts and Humanities Research Council, Beyond Text Strategic Initiative Development Panel
- 2005-09 Discerning Eye Charitable Trust, Educational Advisory Board Member
- 2004-06 Company Director, Centre for Learning and Teaching in Art and Design (CLTAD), collaborative venture between Wimbledon School of Art, Royal College of Art and University of the Arts London
- 2001 South West Arts, Advisor
- 2001 Art and Design Learning and Teaching Subject Network, Journal Referee
- 2001-03 Cheltenham Borough Council, Public Art Panel, Member
- 1999-01 National Association for Fine Art Education (NAFAE), Regional Chair, South West and Wales Region
- 1999-01 National Association of Fine Art Education, Member, National Steering Group
- 1996-03 Gloucester Cathedral Artist in Residence Scheme Management Group (Chair, from 2001-03)
- 1993-97 Durham University, Development of Howlands College, Artists’ Forum Member.
- 1988 Projects UK, Advisor
- 1987-88 Northern Arts, Advisor
Open Exhibition Selection Panels include:
- Wells Art Contemporary 2014
- Derwent Art Prize 2014
- Open West 2014, The Wilson Gallery, Cheltenham
- NSW Parliament Plein Air Painting Prize 2010, Australia
- Sydney City of Villages Art Prize 2009, Australia
- Hazelhurst Art Gallery Works on Paper Prize 2009, Sydney, Australia
- Jerwood Contemporary Painters 2008
- RWA Triennial Open Painting Exhibition 2007
- The Discerning Eye 2004, Mall Galleries, London
- Jerwood Drawing Prize 2003
- Art in Mental Health, 2003, Chair of Review Panel
- Hunting Art Prizes 2002, Chair of Selection Panel
- Cheltenham Open Drawing Exhibition 1996
Research and academic outputs
Taylor, A, ed. (2018) Trinity Buoy Wharf Drawing Prize 2018. Wunderkammer Press, Bath. ISBN 9780993551154
Taylor, A (2017) DRAWN. Wunderkammer Press, Bath. ISBN 9780993551130
Drawing breath: an exhibition of contemporary drawing marking ten years of the Jerwood Drawing Prize, the annual open drawing exhibition in the UK
Taylor, A and Thomas, P (2007) Drawing breath: an exhibition of contemporary drawing marking ten years of the Jerwood Drawing Prize, the annual open drawing exhibition in the UK. Wimbledon College of Art, London. ISBN 9780948327254
Taylor, A and Thomas, P (2003) Drawing. Foundation course . Cassell Illustrated, London. ISBN 1844030849
Taylor, A and Thomas, P (2003) Apprendre le dessin. Octopus. ISBN 9782012602175
Taylor, A (2018) 'Durslade Farm and the evolution of its educational model.' In: Burkhalter, G and Workman, A, eds. Beyond the town: conversations of art and land. Hauser & Wirth, Bruton. ISBN 9783906915180
Taylor, A (2013) 'All and nothing - drawing the self.' In: Portraiture in focus & Drawing on two worlds: embarkation. Metasenta Publications, Melbourne. ISBN 9780987272447
Taylor, A (2012) 'What makes a good drawing.' In: Farthing, S, Chorpening, K and Wiggins, C, eds. The good drawing. CCW, London. ISBN 9781908339010
Taylor, A (2012) 'Introduction.' In: Taylor, A and Harris, P, eds. Jerwood Drawing Prize 2012. Jerwood Visual Arts, London.
Taylor, A (2011) 'Cleanse, Disclosure and Containing.' In: Drawing Projects. Black Dog Publications, London. ISBN 978-1907317255
Taylor, A (2008) 'Foreword - Re: Positioning Drawing.' In: Garner, S, ed. Writing on Drawing: Essays of Drawing Practice and Research. Intellect Books, Bristol, pp. 9-12. ISBN 9781841502540
Taylor, A (1995) 'Peau d'âne.' In: Anderton, R and Hill, C, eds. A millennium bestiary. Faculty of Art, Media and Design, University of the West of England, Bristol.
Taylor, A (2012) 'What is a good drawing? - Responses.' The Good Drawing. pp. 81-82.
Taylor, A (2010) 'Pre-Text: the importance of creative scholarship.' Craft Arts International, 79. pp. 61-67. ISSN 1038-846X
Taylor, A and Crawford, A (2009) 'On the couch: the serious idiom of drawing.' Australian Art Collector (49). ISSN 1440-8902
Back to the drawing board: Anita Taylor welcomes the return to drawing skills shown by the success of the Jerwood Drawing Prize
Taylor, A (2008) 'Back to the drawing board: Anita Taylor welcomes the return to drawing skills shown by the success of the Jerwood Drawing Prize.' The Artist (923). pp. 54-55. ISSN 0004-3877
Whose story? The struggle of memory against forgetting: facts, fictions, journeys and histories, in storytelling through painting
Taylor, A (2007) 'Whose story? The struggle of memory against forgetting: facts, fictions, journeys and histories, in storytelling through painting.' Garageland: Art, Culture and Ideas (4). ISSN 1749-9267
Taylor, A, Burraway, C and Kovats, T (2019) The Trinity Buoy Wharf Drawing Prize drawing discussion: lines of enquiry. In: Draw Art Fair London, 17-19 May 2019, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK.
Sharpe, W and Taylor, A (2016) Wendy Sharpe in conversation with Anita Taylor. In: Drawing Discussions Series, 3 June 2016, Drawing Projects UK, Trowbridge, UK.
Taylor, A (2014) A place for drawing. In: Art School Educated, 11-12 September 2014, Tate Britain, London.
Taylor, A, Cockayne, A, Kidd, N and Nicol, G (2014) Artists, makers, and museums in the 21st century. In: Futurkammer, 7 - 15 June 2014, The Holburne Museum, Bath.
Taylor, A, Skipper, S and Neudecker, M (2014) In visible nature – a conversation. In: Contemporary Artists in the Environment, 16 May 2014, The Gallery at The Sidney Nolan Trust, Presteigne, Powys.
Taylor, A (2013) The insistence of drawing. In: The Insistence of Drawing: A Symposium, 11 July 2013, The School of Arts, University of Northampton.
Taylor, A (2013) The Jerwood Drawing Prize. In: The Legacy of the Cleveland International Drawing Biennale, 27 June 2013, mima, Middlesbrough.
Taylor, A (2017) DRAWN. Customs House Gallery, South Shields, UK, 18 August – 12 November 2017.
Taylor, A (2017) Flood story: Gerry Davis [curator and exhibition catalogue author]. Drawing Projects UK, Trowbridge, UK, 4 March - 1 April 2017. ISBN 97818622033
Taylor, A (2017) Elisa Alaluusua - Sketchbooks: An Obsession [curator]. Drawing Projects UK, Trowbridge, UK, 3 February - 4 March 2017.
Taylor, A (2016) Drawings - Anita Taylor. Drawing Projects UK, Trowbridge, UK, 3 December 2016 - 27 January 2017.
Taylor, A (2016) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2016. The Edge, Bath, UK, 4 November - 17 December 2016.
Taylor, A (2016) Reservation. In: Century: 100 Modern British Artists, Jerwood Gallery, Hastings, UK, 23 October 2016 - 8 January 2017.
Taylor, A (2015) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2015. Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 16 September 2015 - 4 June 2016.
Taylor, A (2014) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2014. Jerwood Space, London, UK, 17 September - 26 October 2014.
Taylor, A (2014) Caesura. William Wright Artists Projects, Sydney, Australia, 31 July - 21 August 2014.
Taylor, A (2014) Drawn together: artist as selector [curator]. Jerwood Gallery, Hastings, 18 July - 15 October 2014.
Taylor, A (2013) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2013. Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 11 September - 27 October 2013.
Taylor, A (2013) Aerial (2013) and Preparations (2013). In: Great and Small: An Exploration of the Way Artists Work on a Large Scale and in More Concentrated Formats, Peter Pinson Gallery, Waterloo, Australia, 28 May - 15 June 2013.
Taylor, A (2013) The Discerning Eye [group exhibition]. The Mall Galleries, London, 14-24 November 2013.
Residue: solo exhibition of eight drawings subsequently included in Portraiture in Focus: Irene Barberis, Helen Sturgess, Anita Taylor
Taylor, A (2013) Residue: solo exhibition of eight drawings subsequently included in Portraiture in Focus: Irene Barberis, Helen Sturgess, Anita Taylor. The Drawing Room, Sydney, Australia (4 August - 16 September 2012); Langford 120, Melbourne, Australia (23 March - 21 April 2013).
Taylor, A (2012) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2012. JVA at Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 12 September 2012 - 26 April 2013. ISBN 9781908331076
Taylor, A (2011) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2011. JVA at Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 14 September - 30 October 2011. ISBN 9781908331014
Taylor, A (2010) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2010. Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 29 September 2010 - 12 June 2011. ISBN 9780956357014
Taylor, A (2009) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2009. Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 16 September 2009 - 7 May 2010. ISBN 9780956357007
Taylor, A (2009) A mon seul desir: the tapestry paintings: solo exhibition. The Drawing Gallery, Shropshire, UK, 10 June - 1 August 2009.
Taylor, A (2009) Drawing Inferences: solo exhibition. Peter Pinson Gallery, Sydney, Australia, 28 October - 14 November 2009.
Taylor, A (2008) Jerwood Drawing Prize 2008. Jerwood Space, London (then touring), 17 September 2008 - 25 April 2009. ISBN 9780955664670
Taylor, A (2004) Anita Taylor: seeing something else - recent drawings. Drawing Gallery, London, 2 - 27 November 2004.
Taylor, A (1989) Anita Taylor: paintings. Berkeley Square Gallery, London, 26 September - 14 October 1989.
Taylor, A, Gooding, M and Courtney, C (2010) Connecting lines: artists talk about drawing.
Taylor, A (2010) 6. Materials for Drawing.
Taylor, A, Dyke, A and Courtney, C (2009) Anita Taylor interviewed by Anna Dyke and Cathy Courtney.