Geoff Whitty was Director of the London Institute of Education, one of the world’s leading graduate schools of education, from 2000-2010. He currently holds a Research Professorship at Bath Spa University and a Global Innovation Chair at the University of Newcastle in Australia. Two of his books (co-authored with others) were named among 40 landmark studies that have had a significant impact on educational research and policy over the past 40 years. His latest book, Research and Policy in Education: Evidence, Ideology and Impact, was published by UCL IOE Press in 2016. In 2011, Geoff was awarded a CBE for services to teacher education.
- MA Cambridge
- MA London
- DLit London
- Hon DEd UWE
- Hon EdD HKIE
- PGCE London.
Other external roles
- Director Emeritus, UCL Institute of Education
- Global Innovation Chair, University of Newcastle, Australia
- Hon Research Fellow, University of Oxford
- Visiting Professor, University of Bath
- Visiting Professor, University of Birmingham
- Visiting Professor, University of Bedfordshire.
- Sociology of Education
- Education Policy Studies.
Adviser to Diversity in Teacher Education Research Programme at BSU; Co-investigator on British Academy project on the nature of Education Studies in Different Jurisdictions, based at University of Oxford; Co-investigator on projects on equity in higher education and teacher education at the University of Newcastle, Australia.