I am Visiting Research Fellow in the School of Design having been Head of the Field of Research, Postgraduate and Enterprise in BSAD since 2016.
As head of research in the School I oversaw the research activities of individual staff and the work of the School’s research centres and groups. I joined the University in September 2004, having previously worked at the University of Wolverhampton (2004) as Head of Learner Support and Equal Opportunities, and Staffordshire University (1989-2004), where I was course leader for the BA (Hons) History of Design and the Visual Arts degree and the MA History of Ceramics course.
By training, I am a historian of art and design with specialisms in the history of design education, ceramics and glass and in the ethics of art and design practice. I provide teaching on a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the School in these areas, as well as supporting a number of Ph.D students studying in these and associated areas.
Ongoing research and consultancy activities
My current research includes completion of a book on the history of Bath School of Art and Design from its beginnings in 1853 to the present day. This monograph will be published ahead of the next major phase of the School’s history in the region, the opening of a new building at Locksbrook Road in the centre of Bath (Autumn 2019).
I am currently also completing an article for the Journal of the History of Education with a working title of ‘Government agendas and local realities: The British pottery industry and the experience of the National Diploma in Design 1946-1958’; and working to complete a major book on the culture of ceramics in the western world.
- BA (Hons) - North Staffordshire Polytechnic
- PhD - Royal College of Art
- Associate of the Royal Photographic Society (ARPS)
- 2007 - Royal Photographic Society (Associate)
- 2006 - Design Research Society
- 2001 - Contemporary Glass Association
- 1990 - The Glass Association
- 1987 - The Design History Society
- 2015 - 2017 External Examiner, Undergraduate Contextual Studies, University of South Wales
- 2012 - External Examiner (PhD), Aalto University, Finland
- 2011 - External Examiner (MPhil), Southampton Solent University
- 2007 - 2010 External Examiner, BA (Hons) Illustration, AUC Bournemouth
- 2010 - 11 External Advisor, MA Design and Applied Art, University of Wolverhampton
- 2010 - External Examiner (PhD), Birmingham Institute of Art and Design
- 2009 - External Examiner (PhD), University of Wolverhampton
- 2007 - External Examiner (Ph.D), University of West of England
- 2006 - current External Advisor, London College of Fashion, University of the Arts
- 2006 - External Examiner (Ph.D), University of Brighton
- 2006 - External Examiner (Ph.D), Royal College of Art, London
- 1997 - 1999 Chief External Examiner, BA (Hons) Design, University of Brighton
- 1997 - current External Examiner, MA Design and Cultural History, University of Central Lancashire
Other external roles
- 2016 Professorate Advisory Panel, Kingstone University
- 2011 Reviewer, International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education
- 2010-present Reviewer, Craft Research (Intellect)
- 2009 Reviewer, AHRC
- 2009 Reviewer, Design Research Society
- 2004 Editorial Advisory Board, Interpreting Ceramics
- 2002 Member, Editorial advisory team, Interpreting Ceramics (eJournal)
- 2001 Chair, Reginald Haggar Memorial Lecture Committee
- 2000 University of Northumberland (Ph.D Advisor)
- 1993 Limerick School of Art, Eire (advisor on History of Ceramics/crafts courses)
- 1996 - present Reviewer, Journal of Design History
- 1991-1996 Keele University Press
- 1991 Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts
- 1984 - 1985 Brighton Musum and Art Gallery (Willett Collection)
- 1986 Reform Club, London
- 1986 - 1987 Departments of Ceramics and Furniture, Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Postgraduate supervisions to completion
- Ceramics and the Earls of Bradford 1762-1915: A case study of database analysis and its value to the ceramic historian
2006 M.Phil, Staffordshire University
- The New Forest National Park: Seeing Landscape Differently
2013 Ph.D, Bath Spa University
- The Neo-Monument: Monuments of Dissent and their Emergence in Western Culture in the Late 20th and 21st Centuries
2017 Ph.D, Bath Spa University
- The Impact of Screen Printing on the British Ceramics Industry 1946-2002: A case study of its implementation at Capper Ratauds Ltd
2006 Ph.D, Staffordshire University
- Archaeology of the Staffordshire Ceramics Industry
2005 Ph.D by Published Research
- Pots in Use. Ceramics, Behaviour and Change in the Early Modern Period, 1581-1700
- The Design Process in British Ceramic Manufacture 1750-1850
1999 Ph.D, Staffordshire University
- An investigation and assessment of the influence of foreign artists at the Minton firm in the second half of the nineteenth century
1995 Ph.D, Staffordshire University.
Research and academic outputs
McLaren, G (2002) Studio glass, 1960-2000. Shire Publications Limited. ISBN 0-7478-0527X
McLaren, G (2001) Ceramics of the 1960s. Shire Publications Limited. ISBN 0-7478-0486-9
McLaren, G (2000) Toby and character jugs. Shire book . Shire, Princes Risborough. ISBN 0747804486
McLaren, G (1997) Ceramics of the 1950s. The shire book . Shire Publications, Buckinghamshire. ISBN 9780747803362
McLaren, G (2017) 'National identity and the problem of style in the post-war British ceramic industry.' In: Livingstone, A and Petrie, K, eds. The ceramics reader. Bloomsbury, London, pp. 466-474. ISBN 9781472584427
McLaren, G (2013) 'Buying, selling and collecting post-war glass.' In: Kent, O and Morris, S, eds. The incidental collector: Ken Stradling and the Ken Stradling Collection. The Ken Stradling Collection. ISBN 978-0992607500
McLaren, G (2006) 'Still a sure touchstone? The future of ceramic history within art and design education.' In: Clark, G, ed. Ceramic millennium : critical writings on ceramic history, theory and art. Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, Halifax, Nova Scotia, pp. 246-259. ISBN 9780919616455
McLaren, G (1999) 'Utility forgot : shaping the future of the British pottery industry 1941-1945.' In: Attfield, J, ed. Utility reassessed: the role of ethics in the practice of design. Manchester University Press, Manchester, pp. 157-171. ISBN 0719058449
Moving forwards but looking backwards: the dynamics of design change in the early post-War pottery industry
McLaren, G (1997) 'Moving forwards but looking backwards: the dynamics of design change in the early post-War pottery industry.' In: Maguire, P and Woodham, J, eds. Design and cultural politics in post-war Britain : the Britain Can Make It exhibition of 1946. Leicester University Press, London. ISBN 0718500733
McLaren, G (1996) 'Shaping the future : the ceramics department and industry after the Second World War.' In: Frayling, C and Catterall, C, eds. Design of the times : one hundred years of the Royal College of Art. Richard Dennis, Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, pp. 29-57. ISBN 0903685426
McLaren, G (1994) 'Maker of beauty: the work and legacy of Harry Trethowan.' In: nee Hughes, W, ed. Cream of Cornish writers. Domain Publishing, Lostwithiel. ISBN 9781899306008
McLaren, G (2013) 'Ethics, Education and the ‘Kitchen Table’ Potter.' Making Futures Journal, 2. pp. 183-190. ISSN 2042-1664
McLaren, G (2009) 'National identity and the problem of style in the post-war British ceramic industry.' Interpreting Ceramics (11). ISSN 1471-146X
McLaren, G (2003) 'Bernard Leach : one view.' Ceramics Art and Perception (53). pp. 102-105. ISSN 1035-1841
McLaren, G (1997) ''Cyber-clay': ceramics and the internet.' Outline (2). pp. 3-7. ISSN 1365-4349
McLaren, G (1996) 'Netting clay.' Ceramics Monthly, 44 (9). pp. 16-20.
McLaren, G (1994) 'Can a marriage be arranged? The decorative arts and the design historian.' SODAC Newsletter. pp. 10-12.
McLaren, G (1993) 'Facing the fax.' Writers' Monthly. pp. 34-35. ISSN 0266-5506
McLaren, G (1993) 'A special relationship - party policy : a curious tale of crafts and central government.' Crafts. pp. 40-43. ISSN 0306-610X
McLaren, G (1990) 'The 'Belhus Barometer', its owners and makers.' The Burlington Magazine, 132 (1047). pp. 407-409. ISSN 0007-6287
McLaren, G (1990) 'A complete potteress - the life and work of Dora Lunn.' The Journal of the Decorative Arts Society (13). pp. 33-38. ISSN 0260-9568
‘The ornament of Bristol and the wonder of the age’: Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge and a regional design heritage
McLaren, G and Rose, K (2017) ‘The ornament of Bristol and the wonder of the age’: Brunel’s Clifton Suspension Bridge and a regional design heritage. In: BRIDGE: The Heritage of Connecting Places and Cultures, 6 -10 July 2017, Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron, Coalbrookdale, UK.
McLaren, G (2013) John Bull Remade : craft as international propaganda tool in the early post-war period. In: Design History Society Annual Conference, 5 - 8 September 2013, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, India.
McLaren, G (2012) Cities, Cell Phones and Challenging Photographic Hegemonies. In: Helsinki Photomedia 2012.
Manners, Morals and the Modern: Exporting Ideas and Publishing British Tiles in the Late Nineteenth Century
McLaren, G (2011) Manners, Morals and the Modern: Exporting Ideas and Publishing British Tiles in the Late Nineteenth Century. In: Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society Conference, Exporting Stoke and Beyond: Tiles and architectural ceramics in the world context, 12 Nov 2011, Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Stoke-on-Trent.
History Plain or History Decorated? The Battle for the Past in the 19th Century Staffordshire Pottery Industry
McLaren, G (2006) History Plain or History Decorated? The Battle for the Past in the 19th Century Staffordshire Pottery Industry. In: Design and Evolution' Design History Society Conference, 31 Aug - 2 Sep 2006, Delft.
McLaren, G (2003) Clay, stories and the global: the impact of the internet on clay education. In: NCECA Conference, March 2003, San Diego, CA.
McLaren, G (2000) The global influence and impact of British studio ceramics. In: International Ceramic Highway Conference, September 2000, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA.
McLaren, G (1997) Reassessing the real: the internet and craft theory and practice. In: The Ideal and the Real in Design, 19 - 21 September 1997, University of Brighton, Brighton.
McLaren, G (1996) Netting clay, oral history, ceramics and the internet. In: Telling tales with technology, Aberystwyth University.
McLaren, G (1995) Designing designers: British government policy and ceramic design education. In: Design, Industry and Government Initiatives: Past, Present and Future, 10 - 12 November 1995, Design History Research Centre at the University of Brighton.
Home hobby or professional vocation?: the struggle for the future in the Victorian china painting community
McLaren, G (1995) Home hobby or professional vocation?: the struggle for the future in the Victorian china painting community. In: Association of Art Historians 21st Annual Conference: objects, histories and interpretations, 7 - 9 April 1995, Victoria and Albert Museum.
McLaren, G (1994) Ceramic history: the potential for research. In: National Association for Ceramics in Higher Education Conference, March 1994, Belfast.
McLaren, G (1992) Industry and the individual. In: Trading with Design (Design History Society Annual Conference), 11 - 13 December 1992, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester.
McLaren, G (2011) BathByMobile. In: BathByMobile, Stuff Bath, Milsom Street, 7 - 11 November 2011.