I am a Senior Associate Lecturer in the School of Music and Performing Arts, currently responsible for Multimedia Production and the Multimedia Studio module within the B.A. (Hons) Creative Music Technology programme. I also teach on the MMus (Creative Sound and Media Technology), working with digital video and After Effects and supervising projects in Visual Music.
I am an educator and practitioner, with expertise in a wide range of software applications for digital audio, multimedia, digital video and motion graphics. I ran a successful music production company in London, writing and producing radio, TV and video soundtracks and continue to work as a freelance digital sound specialist and multimedia developer.
I taught at Bath Spa's School of Art and Design on the MA/PGDip in Interactive Multimedia and have been responsible for multimedia-related staff development and training within the university.
I am interested in the ways on-line and mobile multimedia technologies can contribute to the student learning experience and am the Learning with Technology Specialist for the FASTECH research programme. This 3-year research and development project is exploring the enhancement of student assessment and feedback through the use of readily available technologies.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Performing Right Society.
Other external roles
- Freelance multimedia developer and consultant
- 2007, 2008, 2009: Staff development training and consultancy for the School of Education.
Expertise in a wide range of software applications for digital film and video editing, motion graphics, multimedia and digital audio.
My primary focus is on the creation and integration of digital audio, video and motion graphics. Such technologies are evolving rapidly and my activities have directly informed the modules for which I am responsible and enable me to refine module content in line with developments within the industry.
I am also interested in the development of interactive and flexible teaching and learning strategies and am continuing my research into the use of virtual learning environments for teaching and learning in higher education. I am the VLE Champion for the School of Music and Performing Arts and a member of BSU's eLearning group.
- 2007: Awarded pedagogical research funding (PedR) - "Evolving E-learning through New Learning and Teaching Strategies".
- 2008: Awarded pedagogical research funding (PedR) - "Enhancing E-Learning through the Creation and Deployment of Rich Media Content".
- 2009: Awarded pedagogical research funding (PedR) - "Mainstreaming Video: developing video-based learning and teaching strategies".
- 2011:Learning-with-Technology Specialist for FASTECH, a three-year research and development project in which Bath Spa and Winchester universities are working together to enhance student assessment and feedback practices within our degree programmes.
Recent professional updating
- Blackboard Training: Updating for Practitioners, BSU 2007
- British Universities Film and Video Council: Learning on Screen Conference, Birmingham 2006
- Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro updating seminars: Macworld Exhibition, London 2003.