I am a Senior Lecturer in Education: SEN. I am the Award Leader for the MA in Inclusive Education and the National Award for SENCo.
Prior to this role I worked as a specialist advisor in SEN for Wiltshire Council, working with schools across the authority to develop and support SEN at an operational and strategic level. As part of this role I trained as an Early Bird Plus practitioner delivering support programmes for parents who children are on the autism spectrum. I subsequently worked as independent SEN/ Dyslexia consultant, working with schools and parents in the South-West providing assessments for dyslexia, individual and school consultancy in addition to whole school training. I began my career as a teacher in the primary phase and held the posts of class teacher, SENCo and assistant head teacher.
Special Educational Needs (SEN) is my primary area of research. I am particularly interested in the role of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and how SEN policy is enacted in schools. My PhD focused on the role of the SENCo and the implementation of the SEND reforms.
- PhD Bath Spa University
- MA Oxford Brookes University
- Postgraduate Certificate: Autism Spectrum University of Birmingham
- Postgraduate Diploma: Dyslexia/SpLd Bath Spa University
- Postgraduate Certificate: Higher Education Bath Spa University
- BA (Hons) University College Worcester.
- Associate Member of British Dyslexia Association (AMBDA).
- Fellow Higher Education Academy
- Professional Association of teachers of students with specific learning difficulties (PATOSS)
- National Autistic Society - Early Bird Plus Tutor
- British Educational Research Association.
Other external roles
- External Examiner, MA Inclusion and SEND, University of Derby.
- Special Educational Needs
- Special Educational Needs Coordination/ Coordinator
- Autism Spectrum.