Helen Harris is Senior Lecturer in Photography and Year One Coordinator on BA (Hons) Photography at Bath School of Art. Prior to her current position, she was Associate Lecturer in Photography across disciplines at Bath School of Art and Design, Central St Martins, London and Bath Academy of Art.
Her photographic practice is led by an interest in the experience of place, with a particular focus on the weaving and layering of cultural and natural histories in the landscape. Recent projects have focused on the coexistence of material and memory across deep time, to explore and challenge the idea of time as flow. The repeated walking over time of particular inland and coastal sites, together with the act of collecting found material and artefacts, are integral to her working process. Her research draws on the disciplines of archaeology, anthropology and geography, to explore and reflect on the long relationship between culture and nature.
Previous projects have been exhibited nationally and internationally and her prints are held in several public collections.
- MA Photography and the Land, Plymouth University
- Fellow in Photography, Bath Academy of Art
- PGCE/ATC, Goldsmiths’ College
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design, Bath Academy of Art.
Conference and events attendance
- Symposium: Everywhere and Nowhere: New Photographic Encounters with Space, Place and Dislocation, Plymouth University, 4/5 December 2013
- Symposium: Patterns of Disclosure: The Narrative Document and the Photographic book, Plymouth University, 23 April 2014
- Land/Water Symposium: Nocturnal, Plymouth University, 26/27 June 2014
- Land/Water summer symposium: Wilderness/Wildness, Plymouth University, 25/26 June 2015
- Photography research group symposia: Photography and Society (Community Engagement: The Observer and the Observed), Plymouth University, 18 February 2015
- Photography and Society 2 Black Country Stories: commissioning photographers and writers, Plymouth University, 13 May 2015 - Research group collaboration with Multistory
- Conference: Language, Landscape & the Sublime, Dartington Hall, 29/30 June 2016. Keynote speaker: John Wylie, The Distant
- Research Dialogue day: Archives and Legacy Project, Plymouth University, 29 November 2017.
Research and academic outputs
Harris, H (2015) Ancestral sea. Ripe Digital, Corsham.
Harris, H (2015) Inland. Ripe Digital, Corsham.
Harris, H (2019) Inland. In: Royal Photographic Society (Western Region) Day, 13 October 2019, Bath, UK.
Harris, H (2019) Inland workshop. In: Schools Without Walls, 13 June 2019, St Andrew’s Primary School, Bath, UK.
Harris, H (2018) Inland workshop. In: Schools Without Walls, 12 June 2018, St Andrew’s Primary School, Bath, UK.
Harris, H (2019) Marine memory. In: Wells Art Contemporary Installations, Wells Cathedral, Wells, UK, 20 July - 11 August 2019.
Harris, H (2016) Inland. Sion Hill Gallery, Bath Spa University, Bath, UK, 28 February - 8 March 2016.
Harris, H (2015) 8 prints from 'Inland'. In: This is Not a Dream, Peninsula Arts Gallery, Plymouth, UK, 28 November - 18 December 2015.
Harris, H (2018) Nettlebridge Cave and Rock Shelter, Cockles Wood, Ashwick. Somerset HER 23064. Wells & Mendip Museum - Research News.