Helen Harris is Senior Lecturer in Photography and year one Coordinator on BA (Hons) Photography at Bath School of Art and Design.
Central to her current photographic practice, is an overriding interest in the experience of place, with a specific focus on the weaving and layering of cultural and natural histories encountered and felt in the landscape. Her research draws on the disciplines of archaeology, anthropology and geography, to reflect on the relationship between humankind and nature. The repeated walking over time of particular inland and coastal sites, together with the act of collecting found material and artefacts, are integral to her working process. A major body of work "Inland", developed on the MA Photography and the Land at Plymouth University, is currently nearing completion in preparation for exhibition.
Previous projects have been exhibited nationally and internationally, with inclusion in shows at The National Museum of Film and Photography, Bradford; The Photographers’ Gallery, London; and a touring show, British Contemporary Photography, in Eastern Europe. In 1992 she was one of two photographers selected by Ian Jeffrey to represent Britain at the Primavera Photographica in Barcelona. Her prints are held in several public collections.
Helen has over thirty years’ experience as an educator in higher education, teaching photography across disciplines at Exeter College of Art and Design, Bath Academy of Art, Central St Martins and Bath School of Art and Design.
- MA Photography and the Land, Plymouth University
- Fellow in Photography, Bath Academy of Art
- PGCE/ATC, Goldsmiths’ College
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design, Bath Academy of Art.
- Image and text.
Conference and events attendance
- Symposium: Everywhere and Nowhere: New Photographic Encounters with Space, Place and Dislocation, Plymouth University, 4/5 December 2013
- Symposium: Patterns of Disclosure: The Narrative Document and the Photographic book, Plymouth University, 23 April 2014
- Land/Water Symposium: Nocturnal, Plymouth University, 26/27 June 2014
- Land/Water summer symposium: Wilderness/Wildness, Plymouth University, 25/26 June 2015
- Photography research group symposia: Photography and Society (Community Engagement: The Observer and the Observed), Plymouth University, 18 February 2015
- Photography and Society 2 Black Country Stories: commissioning photographers and writers, Plymouth University, 13 May 2015 - Research group collaboration with Multistory
- Conference: Language, Landscape & the Sublime, Dartington Hall, 29/30 June 2016. Keynote speaker: John Wylie, The Distant
- Research Dialogue day: Archives and Legacy Project, Plymouth University, 29 November 2017.
Research and academic outputs
Harris, H (2015) Ancestral sea. Ripe Digital, Corsham.
Harris, H (2015) Inland. Ripe Digital, Corsham.
Harris, H (2017) Workshop. In: Schools Without Walls, 12 June 2017, St Andrew’s Primary School, Bath, UK.
Harris, H (2016) Inland. Sion Hill Gallery, Bath Spa University, Bath, UK, 28 February - 8 March 2016.
Harris, H (2015) 8 prints from 'Inland'. In: This is Not a Dream, Peninsula Arts Gallery, Plymouth, UK, 28 November - 18 December 2015.
Harris, H (2018) Nettlebridge Cave and Rock Shelter, Cockles Wood, Ashwick. Somerset HER 23064. Wells & Mendip Museum - Research News.