I joined Bath Spa in September 2002 from the University of Hertfordshire. I am Biology Subject Leader and teach all manner of environmental and biological topics.
My research interests are mostly related to animal conservation, particularly small mammals such as the wood mouse (my favourite!). I have previously carried out research at Cambridge University (concept formation in animals, time processing in birds) and Oxford University (small mammal conservation on farmland, factors affect hoarding in small birds) before joining the University of Hertfordshire in 1997 as a senior lecturer in ecology.
I have successfully supervised Masters students in the use of hedges by small mammals and development of an invertebrate index for the evaluation of sites for ecology. I have also successfully supervised a PhD project studying factors affecting the distribution of water voles.
I have appeared on the 'One Show' TV programme discussing the importance of small mammals in the diet of owls.
- BSc(Hons) University of Wales
- PhD University of Wales.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. University of Hertfordshire.
- Member of the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour. (1983-date)
- Member of the British Trust for Ornithology(1983-date).
I am module leader for modules in BY4002 Biodiversity and Conservation (Year 1), BY5001 Biology: The Science of Life(Year 2), BY5005 Research Skills (Year 2) and BY6002 Animal Behaviour (Year 3). I also contribute to modules in BY4001 Biology: The Living World (Year 1), BY5002 Ecology, BY5006 Wildlife Conservation (Year 2) as well as supervising many final year dissertation students.
The topics I teach include animal behaviour, animal conservation, ecology, genetics, evolution, animal classification, biodiversity and animal biology.
Other external roles
- Reviewer for Animal Behaviour, Biologia, Journal of Mammalogy
- External Examiner, Animal Studies degree, Glyndwr University (2014-).
Recent professional updating
- Using iPads in field work course (2014)
- First Aid at work course (2013)
- Innovative us of Minerva course (2014).