June Bianchi is an artist, senior lecturer, and researcher within the Institute for Education at Bath Spa University (BSU). June’s pedagogy and practice are based within the Artist, Researcher, Teacher model and she promotes wider participation, engagement and empowerment through the arts within her exhibitions, publications and educational practice.
June coordinates and contributes to a range of courses across postgraduate, undergraduate, Masters and continuing professional development programmes. She has developed national and international arts educational research projects and partnerships across a range of statutory and voluntary educational, cultural, and community sectors in UK, Europe, USA, South and East Asia, and Africa. June was UK Leader and Coordinater of Curriculum Development on the two-year European Commission project ‘ArtsTogether: integrating migrant children through expressive arts,’ a partnership between five EU countries.
June’s exhibitions, publications and creative educational projects are internationally recognised through: the award of a Higher Educational Academy National Teaching Fellowship; judge for the Children’s BAFTA Film awards; UK delegate for the EU to the Turkish Cultural Ministry; Evaluator for the Research Academy of Finland; Associate Editorships of international journals and educational publishers; External Examiner for a range of UK HEIs; charitable trusteeships.
June’s research funders include: Arts Council, Arts and Business, British Academy, European Commission, Higher Education Academy. Her publications were included within BSU's Research Excellence Framework (REF) in 2014 and 2021.
- MA, Visual Culture
- BA (Hons), Art History and Psychology (First)
- PGCE Certificate of Education, Design (Distinction)
- Higher Diploma of Art and Design, Ceramics (Commendation)
- Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship - Art Education (2007)
As National Teaching Fellow and Senior Lecturer in Arts Education at Bath Spa University (BSU): coordinating cross-phase and interdisciplinary courses; establishing research projects with international partners: educational and cultural institutions, charities, and practitioners.
- 2018-20: UK coordinator of European Commission funded international project ArtsTogether: integrating migrant children through expressive art.
2019 Curricular Guide and Resources: ArtsTogether Inclusion Curricula (2019).Lead author/editor: Bianchi, J., with Hay, P.; Hill-Male; G.; Riley, M.; Hunt, F. Available online: https://www.artstogether.eu/
- Links established with educational and cultural institutions as Institute for Education coordinator of the Erasmus Programme (2006-16); coordinator of international partnership research projects across UK, Europe, USA, South and East Asia, and Africa.
- 2010 Memorandum of Understanding with University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 2010 Selected UK delegate for EU Lifelong Learning Project with University and Governorship of Istanbul.
- 2000-18 International guest lecturerships include: Universidad de Deusto, Spain; University of Malta; University of Viseu, Portugal; University of Crete; University of Rotterdam; I.B. School, Rohtak, India; University of Cadiz; University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Faculty of Fine Arts, Cairo; University of Magdeburg; University of Florence; University of Madrid; University of Athens; ; University of Copenhagen
- 2004-7 Coordinator of 'More Than a Body's Work' exhibition and arts educational project in conjunction with: Columbia University, Pratt Institute of Art and Design, Heritage School and Harvey Milk School, New York.
Selected Conference Presentations
- 2021 UNESCO RILA Spring School: The Arts of Integrating, keynote speaker: 'ArtsTogether Inclusive Curriculum: supporting integration of migrant children through intercultural arts educational strategies'.
- 2019 ArtsTogether Conference, Spazio Europa Commissione Europea, Rome
- 2019 Interdisciplinary Social Sciences International Conference 'Global Flows Diversified Realities', Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Unidad, Mexico: 'ArtsTogether Inclusive Curriculum: Promoting Integration within European Migrant Communities'.
- 2018 Global Association of Liberal Arts (GALA) Conference, Montreal, Canada: ‘Developing Creative and Professional Practice through Flipped Learning’
- 2017 International Society for Education through Art (INSEA) Conference, Daegu, South Korea: ‘Enriching Communities through Culture: Transformatory Art Educational Projects in UNESCO World Heritage Centres, Bath and Delhi’
- 2016 The International Society for Intelligence Research Conference, Saint Petersburg, Russia: ‘Creative Pedagogies for Empowerment: Developing Multimodal Intelligences with Diverse Learners’
- 2015: The Inclusive Museum Conference, New Delhi; Senseability Diversity in Education Conference, Bath Spa University: ‘Steam Power: Integrating Art and Technology through Cultural Heritage Museum Partnerships.’
- 2014: International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville: 'Scoping the City: Exploring Culture, Creativity, and Heritage within an Initial Teacher Education Partnership Project.’
- 2014 The Inclusive Museum Conference, Los Angeles: ‘A Sense of Place, A Sense of Self: perspectives on cultural heritage through creative arts’
- 2014 Asian Conference on Arts and Humanities, Osaka, Japan: ‘Empowerment and creative participation: interdisciplinary strategies within Initial Teacher Education’.
- 2013 Creative Education Conference, Beijing, China: 'Creative arts strategies for social participation with diverse learners: developing citizenship values and practice'
- 2012 International Journal of Art and Design Education Conference (IJADE), Liverpool: Democracy and Art Education: 'Creative strategies for diverse learners within Initial Teacher Education'
- 2011 World Conference of Educational Technology, Cyprus: 'Multimedia technology for social participation: developing digital arts strategies with diverse learners through teacher education'
- 2011 International Citizenship Education Conference and 5x5x5=Creativity Conference, BSU: 'The role of Creative Arts within holistic learning,'
- 2011 National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference British Museum: 'Life learning through creative arts: developing local and global participation with diverse learners'
- 2010 Arts in Society Conference, Sydney: ‘Life Stories: sharing intercultural narratives through art’
- 2010 Creativity and Learning Conference, BSU, with Hugh Thomas: ‘Becoming a global citizen: cultural strategies for community cohesion’
- 2010 Istanbul Governorship and Istanbul Agency of Culture and Metropolitan Municipality: ‘Promoting culture, diversity and inclusion through arts education’
- 2010 National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference, British Museum, London: ‘Cultural Connections: global development strategies through arts education’
- 2009 Development Education Conference, University of Addis Ababa: ‘Breaking boundaries: intercultural trans-disciplinary arts practice - a model of educational research for development’
- 2008 The International Scientific Conference: Fine Arts Egypt - 100 Years of Creativity, Cairo: ‘More than a body’s work: an exploration of arts participation, visual image and identity’
- 2008 British Educational Research Association Conference, Edinburgh University: ‘Cultural Connections : celebrating diversity and widening access through arts education’
- 2008: Creative Thinkers=Powerful Minds, Bath Spa University: 'Culture and creativity: education, heart and mind'
- 2008: BESA, Liverpool Hope University: 'Cultural and diversity: addressing Every Child Matters through arts strategies'
- 2007 Centre for International Research on Creativity and Learning in Education, University of Roehampton, London: ‘Creativity within visual art education’
- 2007 British Educational Studies Association, BSU: ‘Visual art, identity and education’
- 2007 International Conference of Art and Design, Heidelberg: ‘Young people’s construction of identity through visual image’
- 2007 Link Gallery, Winchester University: ‘Image and identity’
- 2006 Study Gallery of Modern Art, Poole, seminar series: Image and identity
- 2006 INSEA Conference, Viseu, Portugal: ‘More than a body’s work' video screening
- 2005 Digital City, Middlesbrough: ‘More than a body’s work’, exhibition concepts and context paper
- 2005 Whitechapel Gallery, Creative Partnerships Conference : co-presenter with main author Alan Howe on Scoping paper : ‘Creative partnerships and Initial Teacher Training’
- 2004 Keynote speaker at Arts Conference BandNES and Bath Arts Development, Guildhall, Bath
- 2004 University of Teesside LGBT Arts Conference: keynote paper, ‘Welcome to the Masquerade’
- 2003 National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference Craft and Design, Camberwell College of Art and Design, London, keynote speaker: ‘Taking the temperature of the zeitgeist’
- 2002 National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference, University of Ripon and York: ‘Get it off your chest: processes and strategies in creative community working’
- 2001 Bristol University Gender Studies Conference: ‘Get it off your chest : gender issues and approaches.’
Selected Exhibitions and Performances
- 2013-17 Collaborative exhibitions in Holburne Museum with PGCE Secondary Art & Design
- 2010 ‘Life Stories’ performance and workshop events, BSU Theatre and The Grange School with Iroko Theatre Company
- 2010 Cultural Connections video published on National Society for Education in Art and Design website
- 2009 ‘Myth, Meaning and Spectacle’ performance and workshop events, BSU Theatre and St. Gregory’s Catholic College and The Grange School, with Kathakali Company
- 2009 Solo exhibition with installations and canvases: Art Gym Gallery, Bristol
- 2008 & 2007 mixed exhibitions at The Quaker Meeting House, Bath
- 2007 The Link Gallery, University of Winchester : solo exhibition, installations, canvases and prints
- 2006-2007 The Study Gallery, Poole, Dorset : solo exhibition ‘More than a Body’s Work’ and ‘Scarves Reveal and Conceal’ site specific installations, canvases and prints
- 2006 Conference of Interdisciplinary Arts (INSEA), Viseu, Portugal ‘More than a Body’s Work’ video screening
- 2002-7 Tyneside Cinema Gallery, Newcastle; Psyche and Digital City, Middlesbrough; Arc Arts Centre, Stockton on Tees; Cafe Placide, Middlesbrough; Hydrogen Jukebox, Darlington: solo exhibitions
- 2002 Teesside University, Centre for Enterprise Gallery We Create: International Womens Festival: solo exhibition ‘Get it off your chest’ with seminar and workshop outreach programme
- 2000 Michael Tippett Centre Gallery, Bath: ‘Get it off your chest’: multimedia exhibition and installation: solo exhibition with seminar and workshop series
- 1981- 2000 Ceramics and mixed media work held in private and public collections e.g: Kings Circus Gallery, Festival Gallery, Artsite Gallery, Bath; Sylvia Hanna Gallery, Belfast; Bristol Museum Study Collection, Artworks, Bristol Guild, Bristol; Whittox Gallery, Frome; Amalgam, Best of British, Garden Gallery, Innate Harmony, Strangeways, Pottery Plus, London; Oxford Gallery, Oxford
- International Society for Education through Art (INSEA)
- National Society of Education in Art and Design (NSEAD) (Memberships held between 2000-2018)
- Elected Member of Professional Development Board, NSEAD (2012-17)
- 2008-13 External Examiner for PGCE Secondary Art Course at the University of Gloucester
- 2002-7 External Examiner for Bath University art educational courses.
Other external roles
- Associate Editor and reviewer for: International Journal of the Inclusive Museum; International Journal of Art and Design Education (iJADE); Pearson Education Publishing Press; Routledge Press
- 2016 Invited Assessor of Post-Doctoral research proposals for the Research Council of Finland
- 2012 Judge for Children's Bafta Award
- 2012-present: Trustee of The Bristol Initiative Education My Future My Choice, Creative Education Charity; Bethlehem Link Charity (2008-12)
Exhibitions and projects have been reviewed and featured in: The Guardian, the Independent, Time Out, Bath Chronicle, Evening Post, Venue, Sun, Evening Standard, Middlesbrough Echo, Radio Bristol, Channel 4, Bath FM, Radio Cleveland, Radio Newcastle.
- Research outcomes are included within the BSU School of Education, Research Excellence Framework 2014 submission.
- Research sponsors include: British Academy, Arts Council, Isis Arts, Sponsors Club for Arts and Business, European Social Fund, Middlesbrough Arts Development, Streets Ahead, National Teaching Fellowship Award, ECOTEC Research and Consulting Ltd.
Research and academic outputs
Bianchi, J (2019) 'Creative pedagogy for empowerment: holistic learning through expressive arts.' In: Simon, C.A and Ward, S, eds. A student’s guide to education studies. 4th ed. Routledge, Abingdon, pp. 178-189.
Bianchi, J (2017) 'Cultural placements: a sense of self, a sense of place.' In: Hordern, J and Simon, C.A, eds. Placements and work-based learning in education studies: an introduction for students. Routledge, Abingdon, pp. 69-78. ISBN 9781138839069
Bianchi, J (2012) 'Culture, creativity and learning: arts education for a changing world.' In: Ward, S, ed. A student's guide to education studies. 3rd ed. Routledge, London, pp. 200-209. ISBN 9780415809672
Creative arts strategies for social participation with diverse learners: developing citizenship values and practice within a special school context
Bianchi, J (2012) 'Creative arts strategies for social participation with diverse learners: developing citizenship values and practice within a special school context.' In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Creative Education (CCE2012), May 20-22, 2012 in Shanghai, China. Scientific Research, Irvine, CA. ISBN 9781618960092
Bianchi, J (2011) 'Becoming a global citizen: cultural strategies for community cohesion at Key Stage 2-3 transition.' In: Howe, A and Richards, V, eds. Bridging the transition from primary to secondary school. Routledge, London. ISBN 9780415575461
Bianchi, J (2009) 'Intercultural trans-disciplinary arts practice: a model of educational research for development.' In: Tirussew, T, ed. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Educational Research for Development. College of Education, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ISBN 9789994484409
Bianchi, J (2008) 'Cultural connections: making every child matter.' In: Ward, S, ed. A student's guide to education studies. 2nd ed. Routledge, London and New York. ISBN 9780415465373
Bianchi, J (2004) 'Knowledge and learning in art and design.' In: Ward, S, ed. Education studies: a student's guide. Routledge, London. ISBN 9780415321198
Bianchi, J (2016) 'STEAM Power: integrating art and technology through cultural heritage museum partnerships.' The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum, 9 (2). pp. 59-77. ISSN 1835-2022
Bianchi, J (2011) 'Intercultural identities: addressing the global dimension through art education.' International Journal of Art and Design Education, 30 (2). pp. 279-292. ISSN 1476-8070
Bianchi, J (2011) 'Life Stories: an intercultural collaborative arts project.' AD Magazine (3). p. 20.
Bianchi, J (2010) 'Sustainable development and inclusion through the arts.' A'N'D, National Society of Education in Art and Design (37). ISSN 1475-7486
Bianchi, J (2009) 'Myth, meaning and spectacle: understanding Indian arts and culture.' A'N'D, National Society of Education in Art and Design, 33. p. 9. ISSN 1475-7486
More than a body's work: widening cultural participation through an international exploration of young people's construction of visual image and identity
Bianchi, J (2008) 'More than a body's work: widening cultural participation through an international exploration of young people's construction of visual image and identity.' The International Journal of Art & Design Education, 27 (3). pp. 293-308. ISSN 1476-8062
Bianchi, J (2003) 'Get it off your chest: contexts in creative community working.' International Journal of Art and Design Education, 22 (1). pp. 23-35. ISSN 1476-8070
Enriching communities through culture: transformatory art educational projects in UNESCO World Heritage Centres, Bath and Delhi
Bianchi, J (2017) Enriching communities through culture: transformatory art educational projects in UNESCO World Heritage Centres, Bath and Delhi. In: InSEA17: 35th World Congress of the International Society for Education through Art, 7 - 11 August 2017, Daegu, South Korea.
Empowerment, diversity and creative participation: challenging exclusion and extending individual and community engagement through interactive arts education
Bianchi, J (2014) Empowerment, diversity and creative participation: challenging exclusion and extending individual and community engagement through interactive arts education. In: Asian Conference on Arts and Humanities, 3-6 April 2014, Osaka, Japan..
Creative arts strategies for social participation with diverse learners: developing citizenship values and practice'
Bianchi, J (2013) Creative arts strategies for social participation with diverse learners: developing citizenship values and practice'. In: Conference on Creative Education, 24-25 May 2013, Beijing, China.
Life learning through creative arts: developing local and global participation with diverse learners within a special school context
Bianchi, J (2011) Life learning through creative arts: developing local and global participation with diverse learners within a special school context. In: NSEAD Annual Conference and AGM, 19-20 March 2011, British Museum, London.
Bianchi, J (2010) Life stories: developing intercultural strategies through arts education. In: International Conference on the Arts in Society, 22-25 July 2010, University of Sydney, Australia.
Bianchi, J (2008) More than a body's work: an exploration of arts participation, visual image and identity. In: The International Scientific Conference: Fine Arts in Egypt - 100 Years of Creativity, 19-22 October 2008., Cairo, Egypt..
Bianchi, J and Cooke, C (2005) More than a body's work. The Arc, Stockton, 16 May - 29 July 2005. ISBN 0954748727
Bianchi, J (2010) Cultural Connections.
Bianchi, J, Hay, P, Hill Male, G, Riley, M and Hunt, F (2019) Curricular Guide and Resources: ArtsTogether Inclusion Curricula. ArtsTogether.
Bianchi, J (2008) Cultural connections: celebrating diversity and widening access through arts education.