Senior Lecturer in Biology and Environmental Science. An experienced hydro-environmental scientist with a background in agricultural biosciences. Specialising in marine and freshwater biogeochemistry, microbial carbonates, microbiology, algal/cyanobacterial ecology, pollution monitoring, hydrogeology and hydrochemistry. An established environmental consultant and researcher.
- Site assessment and investigative survey
- Monitoring, sampling and analysis of gas, water, biological material, soil and sediment
- Biological, geological and chemical, field and laboratory techniques
- Water quality modelling
- Photography and photomicrography
- Analysis and interpretation of data
- Desk study and report writing
- Research skills
- Biological and microbiological identification
- IT/Computer skills Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Minitab, Aquachem, Adobe Photoshop, WATEQ4F.
- 2001 - 2020 Hanson Aggregates UK
- 2001 - Environment Agency PhD
- 2006 - Freshwater Biological Association: Algal and invertebrate fieldwork on Exmoor
- 2010 - Natural England/ALSF Radstock Museum's East Mendip Quarry Ecology Project
- 2014 - BSU Knowledge Exchange Small Grant Award.
- 2003 - FWAG and Mendip District Council: East Mendip Hedge Survey
- 2004 - RSPB. The ecology, status and conservation of the Lapwing in the agricultural landscape.
- 2005 - Arts Council England: Art/Science partnership www.somersetartworks.org.uk with Kathy Hinde Productions:
- 2008 - Researcher and scriptwriter for Piano Migrations, an audio/visual public performance series at the Merlin Theatre, Frome. Highlighting the decline in British bird populations.
- 2009 - Researcher, text writer and leader for the Somerset 'Twitchr' field workshop; the ecology of starlings on the Somerset Levels.
- 2013 - 2015 - Microbiologist working with Organic Geochemistry Unit, University of Bristol Cabot Institute. Intertidal microbial mat from a Qatar sabkha.
- 2017 - Mere Town Council. Effects of water abstraction on tributaries of the River Stour, Wiltshire.
- 2020 - Continuing industrial research with Hanson UK. Long-term project (started 2001) 'Environmental factors affecting tufa formation'.
- BSc (Hons) Veterinary Biosciences Aberystwyth
- HND Agric. Cannington College
- BSc (Hons) Env. Sci. Bath Spa University
- PhD University of the West of England
- Chartered Biologist (CBiol MRSB) Royal Society of Biology
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London (FGS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Member of the Royal Society of Biology (MRSB)
- Federation of European Microbiological Societies
- Microbiology Society
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.
Other external roles
- STEM Ambassador
- Wessex Water Stakeholders Committee : Panel member for the Catchment Abstraction Management Scheme (CAMS) and River Low Flows Project
- Lead reporter for the Biodiversity Action Recording Scheme (BARS) and National Biodiversity Network (NBN)
- BTO and RSPB Field Surveyor
- Surveyor Dorset and Exmoor Riverfly Monitoring Groups.
- Microbiology. Aquatic sciences, freshwater and marine water quality. Agriculture, crops and livestock production, soils and microbial ecosystems. Field and laboratory work.
- Module Leader for BIO5004 Applied Microbiology, BIO5002 Biology Work Placement. Contributor to: Microbial World, Biotechnology, Research Skills, Dissertation.
- Winner of Most Innovative Teaching Award 2013 - voted by BSU Students Union.
- Hanson UK and the Environment Agency
Long term monitoring and assessment of factors affecting tufa formation. Conservation strategies for vital microorganisms.
- Biological plastics and textiles
- Competitive grazing by invasive snails on natural biofilms
Recent professional updating
Continuing Professional Development/Training Courses:
- Royal Society of Chemistry/University of Greenwich. Environmental Analysis; Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry.
- Bath University/Geological Society of London. Expert Witness Programme.
- University of Bristol. Petrological Microscopy; Survey and monitoring of lower plants.
- University of Durham. Identification and monitoring of algae.
- Environment Agency, Exeter. Survey and monitoring of crayfish.
- BSU: Employability in HE; Research Management; CareerHub.
- Field Studies Council, Exmoor. Fungi ID/Waxcap Survey
- Riverfly Initiative; Survey and Monitoring.
Research and academic outputs
Holocene intertidal microbial mats of Qatar and their implications for petroleum source rock formation in carbonate-siliciclastic-evaporite systems
Thomas, L, Slowakiewicz, M, Pancost, R, Tucker, M, Sher May, D and Whitaker, F (2014) 'Holocene intertidal microbial mats of Qatar and their implications for petroleum source rock formation in carbonate-siliciclastic-evaporite systems.' In: International Petroleum Technology Conference 2014 (IPTC) Proceedings: Unlocking Energy Through Innovation, Technology and Capability, Doha, Qatar, 19-22 January 2014. Society of Petroleum Engineers, Richardson, Texas. ISBN 9781632660053
Biogeochemistry of intertidal microbial mats from Qatar: new insights from organic matter characterisation
Słowakiewicz, M, Whitaker, F, Thomas, L, Tucker, M.E, Zheng, Y, Gedl, P and Pancost, R.D (2016) 'Biogeochemistry of intertidal microbial mats from Qatar: new insights from organic matter characterisation.' Organic Geochemistry, 102. pp. 14-29. ISSN 0146-6380
Davies, P, Haslett, S.K, Davies, C.F.C and Thomas, L (2001) 'Reconstructing Holocene landscape change on Mendip: the potential of tufa deposits.' The Proceedings of the Cotteswold Naturalists' Field Club, XLII (1).
Biogeochemistry of Holocene intertidal microbial mats of Qatar: implications for petroleum source rock formation in carbonate-evaporite systems
Słowakiewicz, M, Thomas, L, Tucker, M.E, Zheng, Y, Whitaker, F and Pancost, R.D (2014) Biogeochemistry of Holocene intertidal microbial mats of Qatar: implications for petroleum source rock formation in carbonate-evaporite systems. In: 19th International Sedimentological Congress: Sedimentology at the Crossroads of New Frontiers, Geneva, Switzerland, 18 - 22 August 2014.
Thomas, L (2004) Tufa, a freshwater limestone: carboniferous geology and contemporary processes. In: Ussher Society Annual Conference, January 2004.
Karst hydrogeology, hydrogeochemistry and processes of tufa deposition in carboniferous limestone springs of the Mells Valley, Somerset
Thomas, L (2007) Karst hydrogeology, hydrogeochemistry and processes of tufa deposition in carboniferous limestone springs of the Mells Valley, Somerset. PhD thesis, Bath Spa University.
The feasibility of biodiversity enhancements in woodland ground flora around Whatley Quarry: final report submission to the Quarry Life Award Project
Cottam, L, Gibson, E, Harnett, J, Spiers, R, Thomas, L, Watson, D, Watts, D and Weiss, M (2014) The feasibility of biodiversity enhancements in woodland ground flora around Whatley Quarry: final report submission to the Quarry Life Award Project. HeidelbergCement.