Louise Pickles worked extensively within the fashion industry in London and overseas with a career spanning 23 years before relocating to Bath in 2003 to start a Fashion Design undergraduate Degree for Bath Spa University. Louise has held roles as Designer, Head of Design, Design Manager, Design Director and Creative Director within various levels of the market including chain store, mid market, high street and designer label.
Alongside the creativity of a designer, Louise ‘s commercial acumen was responsible for massive growth increasing turnover from £30 million to £90 million in a six-year period for one company in the 1990s.
Louise has travelled extensively throughout her career, researching fashion trends, visiting trade fares and developing fabrics with specialist suppliers around the globe, and has worked on various product categories including jeanswear, casualwear, sportswear, occassionwear, knitwear, swimwear and outerwear.
Louise has been teaching in Higher Education for 15 years and has used her wealth of industry experience to continually develop and update the programme. As well as her roles within fashion education, Louise has worked on educational fashion projects for the BBC.
In her current role as Course Leader/Senior Lecturer, Louise is responsible for the management, development, planning of the curriculum/learning, and creative direction of the fashion design programme.
Louise has taken Head of Department responsibilities as a job share for maternity cover and sat on the Senior Management team of the School of Art and Design from 2009-2012.
- Diploma in Fashion and Clothing Design (4 years), Medway College of Art and Design
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Bath Spa University.
- British Fashion Council Colleges Council Steering Group
- Academic Trustee the Graduate Fashion Foundation
- (2014 - present) BA (Hons) Fashion Design - UCA Rochester
- (2014-present) BA (Hons) Fashion Design, BA (Hons), Fashion Promotion and Imaging, MBA Fashion Management and Marketing - MITID, Pune India
- (2014-2017) MDES Fashion Design - MITID, Pune India
- (2011-2014) BA (Hons) Fashion Retail Management and Promotion - Birmingham City University
- (2009-2012) BA (Hons) Fashion Design - University of Hull
Other external roles
- Academic Trustee, the Graduate Fashion Foundation (charity formally known as Graduate Fashion Week) (2009-present)
- Academic Steering Group, the British Fashion Council Colleges Council (2008-present)
- Guest attendee and speaker Fashion Design staff away day, Kingston University (2017)
- External member of interview panel, Fashion Design, Kingston University (2016)
- Fashion Your Future - organiser and host of careers forum with fashion industry professionals 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Founding member of Bath in Fashion 2010, Creative Director 2012-2016
- External Panel Member, Periodic Review BA (Hons) Fashion Design, BA(Hons) Textile Design, BA (Hons) Fashion Media and Promotion - Northbrook College, University of Brighton (2014)
- External member of the re-validating panel for BA (Hons) Fashion Design, BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles: Print, BA (Hons) Fashion Atelier for the University of the Creative Arts, Rochester (2012)
- External panel member, validating panel proposed degree in Fashion and Textiles at Hereford College of Art and Design.
Experience in all aspects of fashion design, product development, and fabric development, with specific specialisms in research and design development, portfolio design, fashion concepts, and collections.
- As Trustee of the Graduate Fashion Foundation (formally Graduate Fashion Week) Louise has acted as catwalk judge with a panel of distinguished national and international members of the fashion industry and fashion education (2013-present).
- Annual Graduate Fashion Foundation (formally Graduate Fashion Week) Houses of Parliament event of invited industry professionals and MPs (2016-present).
- Collaboration with BBC online iWonder series - ‘Could I cut it in the fashion industry?’ 2016.
- Networking with industry resulting in live industry projects and/or ongoing collaborations with brands including Jaeger, Hobbs, Old Navy (San Francisco), Donna Karen and GAP.
- Bath in Fashion, Creative Director 2012-2016, a week long fashion festival held in Bath, bringing fashion industry professionals to the city for talks, workshops and shows - guests have included Sarah Mower, Stephen Jones, Manolo Blahnik, Julien Macdonald, Princess Julia, Tim Blanks, Roksander, Amanda Wakely, David Downton, Erdem, Julie Verhoeven, Roland Mouret and Tim Walker.
- Speaker at Foundation Degree Forward and Skillfast-UK Conferences nationally (2006).
- Development of Foundation Degree in Fashion and Textiles Design Skills in collaboration with City of Bath College (2006).