Born in Tanzania, Matthew then attended schools in West Cornwall. After 13 years in University Education including a gap year in the USA (Sarah Lawrence College) and a doctorate at Oxford University, he has enjoyed a career as a music researcher, performer and lecturer.
Several part time lecturing posts (at London Guildhall University and De Montfort University, and Associate Lectureships at Birmingham University and at Bath Spa University) later, Matthew became full time at Bath Spa in 2003.
Matthew has a very active career as a performer on the lute and other associated early musical instruments, and has appeared on over 50 CD recordings. He is an active researcher of early music with a special interest in lute music.
His first book (published by Oxford University Press) was the first published attempt to write a history of lute. This book was awarded the Bessabov Prize for best book on musical instruments published in the years 2000-01 and was awarded by the Association for Music in International Schools (AMIS) in 2003.
His edition of "The Balcarres Lute" was published by the Universities of Aberdeen and Glasgow in 2010. Recent books and articles have been on the Lute in the Netherlands in the Seventeenth Century, and on social and commercial aspects of the Music in Bath.
Matthew has developed interests in World Music.
- MMus London University
- BA Keele University
- DPhil Oxford University.
- Diploma in Early Music, Royal College of Music
- Associate of the Royal College of Music (ARCM)
- Diploma in Pro-Music Performance (LTCL).
- Member of Higher Education Academy
- Committee Member of the William Herschel Society
- Committee Member of the Lute Society
- Member of the Performing Rights Society
- Committee Member of Chombec, Corresponding Member of Chombec for Bath Spa
- Member of the Annual Conference on Music in 18th-Century Britain
- Past member of the advisory committee to the Early Music Network and National Early Music Association (NEMA)
- Member of the Viola da Gamba Society of Great Britain
- Member of the British Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (BSECS)
- Member of the Galpin Society
- Member of European Association of Dance Historians (EADH)
- Member of North America British Music Studies Association (NABSMA)
- Member of the British Association for Victorian Studies (BAVS).