Following my PhD (1991) from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Bristol, I worked for an NGO in the field of community health development, working with a range of individuals, community groups and professionals from across the statutory, community and voluntary health-related sectors. Returning to academia in 1998 to manage the Health and Social Care Research Partnership at the University of Bath, I facilitated interdisciplinary research activities. From 2005, I worked for the then Department of Children and Families at Wiltshire Council, supporting school-led multi-agency collaborations, service pupils and pupil participation.
To support my interest in social justice issues within the field of education - specifically on issues relating to vulnerable and fragile learners of all ages - I undertook a Master of Research in Education at the University of Bath (awarded in 2009).
I joined the Institute for Education at Bath Spa University as a Research Fellow in June 2011. I also lecture on our undergraduate Education Studies module ED4017, 'Introduction to Youth and Community Work'.
Current work includes:
- A one-year collaborative pilot research project between the Institute for Education and GL Assessment (the makers of PASS) to assess the potential of the online attitudinal survey, PASS (Pupil Attitudes to Self and School - currently used in over 2500 schools across the UK) to support improvements in undergraduate experiences, particularly during the transition phase for first year undergraduates. This pilot seeks to assess the usefulness of PASS for teaching, learning and student support.
- An Institute for Education research project to map and gap the digital technology resources and skills that PGCE students can access, to support their teaching and learning.
- Disseminating the research findings from the research report "Understanding the journey to and through 'Access to H.E. Diplomas' for adults with a service background" to facilitate its impact.
Previous work includes:
- A two year research project, completed in November 2016 and funded by the Forces in Mind Trust, Help for Heroes and the Access Validating Agency, Ascentis. This research report entitled "Understanding the journey to and through 'Access to H.E. Diplomas' for adults with a service background" contains recommendations for civilian and military stakeholder organisations to consider, to minimise the risk of AHED students being disadvantaged by their Service background.
- A developmental initiative, supported by the MoD Support Fund, to embed Learn to Lead (www.ltol.org.uk), a model of democratic pupil participation, within primary schools located in an armed services community on Salisbury Plain.
- Evaluation of the Total Somerset High Contact Families Pilot Project, sponsored by the Somerset Children's Trust; a multi-agency initiative exploring how agencies working with families in difficulty can work more effectively with reducing levels of resource.
- A scoping literature review on primary-aged children’s participation activities that influence adult decision-making.
I represent Bath Spa University as a Community Governor at Hayesfield School in Bath and provide additional Specialist Governor support around Pupil Premium and Gifted and Talented.
- PhD University of Bristol
- Research Masters (Education) University of Bath
- BSc(Hons) Bristol Polytechnic.
- Member of British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- Member of the QAA's Access to HE Research Network.
- Community Governor at Hayesfield Girls' School, Bath
- Board member of the Theatre Royal, Bath.
Research and academic outputs
Primary-aged children’s participation activities that influence adult decision-making: a scoping literature review
Macer, M (2014) 'Primary-aged children’s participation activities that influence adult decision-making: a scoping literature review.' Educationalfutures, 6 (2). pp. 3-20. ISSN 1758-2199
Understanding the journey to and through 'Access to Higher Education Diplomas' for adults with a Service background. Occasional Paper No.2 from the IfE
Macer, M (2016) Understanding the journey to and through 'Access to Higher Education Diplomas' for adults with a Service background. Occasional Paper No.2 from the IfE. Institute for Education, Bath Spa University, Bath. ISBN 9780992633882
Macer, M, Parker, R, Davies, D and Rose, J (2011) Total Somerset High Contact Families Project: evaluation report.