I have a traditional Broadcast Media background in both TV and Radio. As the industry has changed and adopted different work practices, I have updated my skills. I was an early adopter of desktop digital production techniques and the use of DV cameras.
I specialised in extreme sports coverage, producing a number of short documentaries and a series of DVD magazines. These were early attempts to connect audiences to the Internet. I pioneered the first downloadable Extreme sports magazine. This effectively combined video with hyperlinks. I have been teaching short filmmaking and digital production for many years.
Creative Media Practice, desktop production and digital storytelling.
My work within the BBC spanned twenty years covering both TV and Radio. I have worked both as a freelancer and a member of staff for the BBC and others for over 20 years.
In TV I have worked as a Stage/Floor Manager, Technical Operator, Director, and Production Editor at broadcasters including News 24, BBC World, BBC Online, BBC 1, 2, and 3, HTV West, Eurosport and Transworld Sport. I have produced short form as Executive Producer for DVD release.
As an Assistant Director I have worked on a lot of music productions, both live and Pre recorded – the Proms, Whistle Test, Opera, V97 etc. I also worked on a major dance production at Pinewood (for Adventures in Motion Pictures on the Channel 4 production of Car Man).
As a BBC Outside Broadcast Stage Manager I worked on:
- Major sporting events in football, rugby, cricket, golf, horse racing, canoeing, tennis, motor racing and many others
- Events like the New Year 2000 celebrations at the Millennium Dome (attended by Tony Blair and the Queen), Chelsea Flower Shows, Crufts, Children In Need, The London Marathon, The Royal Agricultural Show, Sport Aid, Queen's birthday celebrations (Windsor), marriage of Prince Andrew, and Horse Guards Parade.
- Kids' TV, Going Live! 'The wetter the better', and Blue Peter.
- Others, The Weakest Link, Songs of Praise, Gardener's World, Antiques Roadshow, The Tom O Connor Roadshow, Question Time and The Clothes Show.
As a BBC Floor Manager(studio based) I worked on:
- National News
- News 24
- BBC World
- Liquid News
- Pebble Mill at One
- The Pamela Armstrong Show
- Daytime Live
- Good Morning with Anne and Nick
- Farming Today
- On the House
- Crimewatch Midlands
- Midlands at Westminister
- Hot Chefs
- Rosemary Conley
- Delia Smith
- Tele Addicts
- Chuckle Vision
- Time Tunnel
- The Movie Game
- The Cliff Richard Christmas Show.
In Radio I have experience as a Producer, Reporter, and Studio Manager in BBC Radio. I have worked in Local Radio (BBC Radio Merseyside), Radio 1 and Radio 4 as a reporter, and Radio 2, 3 and Radio 5 +(DAB) as a Studio Manager. I have also worked on Eurovision radio programming. More recently, I produced and recorded podcasts for Bath University.
I was one of the first freelance technical directors trained (by the BBC) to use the Omnibus gallery automation suite. This ushered in the era of slimmed down TV channel operation. It's used by extensively BBC, HTV West, Eurosport, MTV, Nickelodeon and many others. I have Final Cut Pro user certificates at Level 1, 2 and 3 as well as experience with DVD Studio Pro, Flash, Sound track Pro, and Photoshop.
I ran my own multi-media Business, 'Telecrew Ltd', specialising video, radio and DVD and online production work. As a Director and Producer I have responsibility for the Health and Safety of presenters, guests, artists, participating audiences and audiences. I have a NEBOSH General Health and Safety Certificate.
I managed Bath Spa University's video production team and Media Centre at the recent XML Bath event. X Media Lab Bath gathered digital media and entertainment visionaries from around the world to share their insight into the rapidly evolving media, entertainment and technology industries.
- BA Manchester University
- MA Bath Spa University.
Other external roles
- Member of the Radio Academy Executive
- Trustee of the Bath Film Festival
- Jury member of the LoveBath Film competition
- Member of Creative Bath.
- Creative Media Practice, desktop production and digital storytelling - documentary and short fiction film.
- PhD I am investigating the impact of transmedia production on narrative structure across delivery platforms.
- External Examiner for Chester University on BA Television Production.
Recent professional updating
- 2004 CFET Certificate in Further Eduction Teaching
- 2004 NEBOSH National General Certificate in Health and Safety
- 2006 Final Cut Pro User Certificate level 1 and 2
- 2007 Final Cut Pro User Certificate level 3.
Research and academic outputs
Thebo, M, Johnston, M and Etter, C (2010) Project work for creative writing students. In: Creative Writing In Education : NAWE Autumn Conference, 12 - 14 November 2010, Barceló Cheltenham Park Hotel, Gloucester.
Johnston, M (2010) Using wikis to support students doing media production-based projects.