I am a sustainability professional with experience in both ‘internal corporate sustainability management’, and the provision of environmental and sustainability consultancy services to client organisations in both public and private sectors.
My internal roles have included Group Sustainability Manager for an international infrastructure consultancy firm and Sustainability Strategy Manager for the UK’s largest water company.
My consultancy roles have included heading up ‘Sustainability Appraisal’ and ‘Strategic Environmental Assessment’ consultancy services, advising construction firms on how to manage their issues and impacts, and supporting large corporates in improving key aspects of sustainability in their supply chains.
Over the course of my career, I have worked both in the UK and internationally, including as a consultant to the World Bank, United Nations, European Commission and various international financing institutions and national governments.
My technical areas of expertise include sustainability strategy development and implementation, sustainability performance management, sustainable supply chain, impact assessment, monitoring and evaluation, sustainability reporting, capacity building and business improvement.
I have particular interest in how sustainability is appraised and (ex post) evaluated in relation to achieving/ ensuring intended outcomes.
I am an Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) Practitioner, a member of the Global Association of Corporate Sustainability Officers (GACSO) and an Institution of Civil Engineering (ICE) 'Engineering Sustainability' journal reviewer.
- PhD Cranfield University
- MSc University of Reading
- BSc University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- PG Diploma Environmental Policy Open University
- PG Certificate Social Science Open University
- PG Certificate Sustainable Business Cambridge University
- Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) Practitioner (PIEMA);
- Global Association of Corporate Sustainability Officers (GACSO) member;
- Founder member of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) Climate Change Network Steering Group;
- Member of the Global Opportunities Panel.