Nick is a Lecturer in Environmental Management and responsible for the Waste, Energy and Pollution Management module of the MSc Environmental Management course at Bath Spa University. He lectures on a range of subjects covering the underlying science, current issues, future challenges and drivers of change.
Nick has a professional background in environmental and sustainability management, with experience in both in-house corporate sustainability management and the provision of environmental and sustainability consultancy services to client organisations, in both the public and private sectors.
His former corporate roles include sustainability manager for an international infrastructure consultancy group, sustainability strategy manager for a major water company and chief sustainability officer at a sustainability software company. His consultancy roles included heading up SEA and Sustainability Appraisal consultancy services, advising firms on sustainability strategy and supporting large corporations to embed sustainability internally and into their supply chains. Nick also spent several years leading the development of a web-based sustainability reporting platform.
Over the course of his career, Nick has worked both in the UK and internationally, including as a consultant to the World Bank, United Nations, European Commission and a number of international financing institutions, NGOs and foreign governments. His areas of knowledge include environmental assessment and management, sustainability strategy development and implementation, sustainability performance management, sustainable supply chains, impact assessment, monitoring and evaluation, sustainability reporting, capacity building and business improvement.
With a background in applied science, Nick’s PhD focused on sustainable development in the context of an international development programme in sub-saharan Africa. He has since gained post graduate qualifications in environmental policy and sustainable business, the latter via the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership.
Nick has been an Associate Lecturer at Bath Spa University since 2016 and has given input to the MSc and BSc courses on EIA, SEA, LCA, pollution, contaminated land, air quality, climate change, renewable energy, waste management, circular economy, strategic sustainability, sustainable business and the SDGs. From a research perspective, he has a particular interest in how sustainability is appraised and (ex-post) evaluated in relation to achieving/ ensuring intended outcomes.
- PhD Sustainable Development - Cranfield University
- PG Diploma Environmental Policy - Open University
- PG Certificate Social Science - Open University
- PG Certificate Sustainable Business - Cambridge University
- MSc Rural Development, Economics and Planning - University of Reading
- BSc Agriculture - University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Fellow - Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (FIEMA)
- Member - Global Association of Corporate Sustainability Officers (GACSO)
Other external roles
- Strategic Sustainability Consultant
- Member - Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) Climate Change Network Steering Group
- Member - Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment's South West Steering Committee
- Member - Wiltshire Council's Environment Select Committee
- Member - Wiltshire Council's Climate Emergency Task Group
- Chair - Chippenham Town Council's Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
- Chair - Chippenham Cycle Network Development Group
- Member - Chippenham Town Council's Climate Emergency Advisory Group
- Trustee - Avon Needs Trees (Registered Charity)
- Chair - Zero Chippenham.
Areas of expertise
Environmental impact assessment; strategic environmental assessment; life cycle assessment; environmental pollution; air quality; climate change, mitigation and adaptation; renewable energy; waste management; circular economy; sustainability concepts and approaches; strategic sustainability; sustainable susiness; sustainable development goals.