My professional experience has been primarily as a graphic design consultant working in print, packaging and brand development. I have done this for both large and small consultancies, for my own partnership, and now for my own limited company. This experience naturally feeds into my teaching, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
As my teaching has progressed however, I have become aware that students at both levels benefit from a richer diet of cultural history, and an engagement with issues beyond the mere mechanics of design. To this end, I have developed a number of projects and lectures about key figures in the history of visual culture, particularly in film and early twentieth-century avant-gardes. This now informs an additional post I have taken up within the School as Senior Lecturer in Historical and Critical Studies.
My overriding interest with such material is how to make often quite complex and 'difficult' territory more accessible. How can key graphic design skills of writing, editing, montage and typography be used to achieve this?
- BA(Hons) Kent Institute
- MA London Institute
- BA (Hons) 1st Class Graphic Design
- MA Information Design
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts (FRSA) 1998
- External Examinership in Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins (University of the Arts) 2007-2010
- External Examinership in Graphic Design at Gloucestershire University 2008-2012.
Other external roles
- July 2007 Appointment panel for Central St Martins Head of Year One, Graphic Design BA course
- Corporate and brand identity design
- Packaging and new product development
- History and contextual studies of graphic communication.
I have been immersed in research concerning the life and work of Marcel Duchamp for some years now. This has taken me to several symposia, and visits to New York, Philadelphia, Switzerland and Munich. Following my involvement in the 'Duchamp in Herne Bay' Festival and Symposium of August 2013, I am currently investigating a joint exhibition concerning his mysterious life and work.
Recent professional updating
- Brand identity consultancy for Citigroup Europe, specifically developing literature identity and visual style for all European wide employee communications
- Developing an entire identity for print and web based financial services for all Diageo plc employees, shareholders and pensioners
- Designed interface iconography for Falcon Global 'Pathfinder' plant commissioning software, used in offshore mineral extraction
- Brand Identity for IDEA Engineers, UK
- Project management for Brand Identity for Armadillo Engineering, UK.
Research and academic outputs
Images in time: flashing forward, backward, in front and behind photography in fashion, advertising and the press
Turney, J, Sigurjonsdottir, A, Langkjaer, M and Minott, P (2011) Images in time: flashing forward, backward, in front and behind photography in fashion, advertising and the press. Wunderkammer, Bath. ISBN 9780956646224
Whittaker, E, Landrum, A and Minott, P (1998) Nonsite to Celebration Park: essays on art and the politics of space. Wunderkammer Press, Bath. ISBN 9781905200726
Minott, P and Porter, S (2016) Pretty abstract: public talk. In: Black Swan Arts: Public Talks, 29 September 2016, Black Swan Arts, Frome, UK.
Minott, P (2014) Marinetti: the power and the fury. In: BLAST, 24 - 26 July 2014, Bath School of Art and Design, Sion Hill, Bath.
Minott, P (2013) The Bride Stripped Bare By Herne Bay Even.
Minott, P (2013) Duchamp in Herne Bay commemorative poster.
Minott, P (2013) The Bride Stripped Barr.
Minott, P (2016) Pretty abstract. Black Swan Arts, Frome, UK, 10 September - 8 October 2016.
Minott, P (2014) BLAST: a mural and sonic cone. In: BLAST, Bath School of Art and Design, Sion Hill, Bath, 24 - 26 July 2014.
Minott, P (2013) Duchamp in Herne Bay. In: Duchamp in Herne Bay, Kings Hall, Herne Bay, Kent, 31 July - 17 August 2013.
Minott, P (2011) Descending a staircase. The Dispensary Gallery and Radio Cinema, Bath, July 2011.
Minott, P (2010) Obsession Hitchcock. BSAD Gallery, Bath, UK, March 2010.
Minott, P (2009) Grotesque accidents in philosophy: an artist's book, an alternative primer in Western philosophy. Bath Spa University, Bath, UK.
Minott, P (2014) Animating Marinetti’s ‘Zang Tumb Tumb’ (1914) as a component of a public lecture.
Minott, P (2011) Vague.
Minott, P (2011) La Cage du champ.
Minott, P (2010) Conspiracy: theory.