The Freelands Painting Fellowships – sponsored by the Freelands Foundation
Bath Spa University is pleased to announce its continued participation in the Freelands Painting Fellowship.
Alumni of BA (Hons) Fine Art from Bath School of Art, Film and Media (formerly the Bath School of Art and Design) who graduated at least three years ago (July 2018 or earlier) and have maintained a painting practice since, are invited to apply to become the Freelands Painting Fellow at The School of Art and Media at the University of Brighton or Manchester School of Art at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Number of awards available: up to 2
“This is an incredible opportunity for one of our alumni to develop their painting practice within the context of one of these prestigious art schools. To be offered a studio, financial support and the opportunity to gain teaching experience is an invaluable opportunity, especially in the current climate, and Bath School of Art, Film and Media is delighted to be part of this unique and vital scheme.”Dr Natasha Kidd, Course Leader, Fine Art
You must indicate how you meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed a BA (Hons) Fine Art from Bath School of Art, Film and Media (formerly the Bath School of Art and Design) at least three years ago (July 2018 or earlier)
- You must demonstrate a commitment to your artistic practice and a strong portfolio of work.
Selected artists will be invited to become the Freelands Painting Fellow at The School of Art and Media at the University of Brighton or Manchester School of Art at Manchester Metropolitan University.
The fellow will receive:
- A studio space onsite at the host university
- Support from an experienced member of the Fine Art teaching staff
- Experience of working with Fine Art students, which could include participating in the delivery of group critics, seminars, tutorials, workshops, and lectures as negotiated with your mentor
- A solo exhibition at the host university
- £20,000 honorarium to support living costs and materials
- A group exhibition at the Freelands Foundation Gallery, London including a publication
- Access to workshops and fabrication spaces
About the Freelands Foundation
The Freelands Foundation was set up in 2015 to give an increased number of people the chance to engage with and enjoy the arts in the UK, with a particular focus on education. Their ambition is to give everyone access to a creative and cultural education in the belief that it raises their aspirations and transforms their opportunities in life.
“We are delighted to launch the Freelands Painting Fellowships. The Foundation is working closely with three partner universities: The Bath School of Art, Film and Media, Bath Spa University; the School of Art and Media, University of Brighton; School of Art and Manchester School of Art, Manchester Metropolitan University, to develop the programme. The Fellowships will provide an incredible opportunity for emerging painters to engage with art schools, working alongside painting and fine art students whilst developing their own practice.”Freelands Foundation
Freelands Foundation Event
Triangle - Save the date
Preview: Tuesday 11 January 2022, 18:30 – 20:30
Exhibition: 13 January – 20 February 2022
Triangle presents an exhibition of works by the three artists on the inaugural Freelands Painting Fellowships.
In January 2021, Will Kendrick, Catherine Parsonage and Jess Power embarked on full-time fellowships at Bath School of Art, Film and Media, the University of Brighton and Manchester School of Art respectively.
More information will follow on the Freelands Foundation website.
Applications are now closed for 2021.
How applications are judged
A shortlist of six candidates will be interviewed by Bath Spa University. Four of these will be shortlisted and interviewed by the host universities.