The Short Term Loan Scheme is available if:
- you are an undergraduate student eligible and applied to Student Finance AND
- you are currently registered on your course AND
- there has been a delay in the assessment of your Student Finance entitlement (including childcare costs) AND
- you have no other available funds (including available overdraft) AND
- you have registered your card details with Bath Spa University.
You CANNOT apply to this fund if:
- you have run out of money before your next scheduled funding payment OR
- you have received your full Student Finance entitlement OR
- you will complete your study within the next 2 months OR
- you already have a loan and have been told no further loans OR
- you have been excluded from the scheme for not repaying a previous loan.
There aren't sufficient funds to provide substitute overdrafts for students. If you don't have an overdraft, you'll need to provide proof that you've applied and been refused.
A Short Term Loan is £60 in any given week for a single person with no dependents, to be repaid within 30 days.
If you feel that you require a higher amount or longer loan period, please explain on the application form. It may be necessary for us to speak to a member of Student Wellbeing Services who would be able to recommend a higher amount in exceptional cases, but this would again be at our discretion.
Loans won't normally be offered to students who have defaulted on a previous Short Term Loan, or who haven't exhausted other sources of funding available to them.
Any currently registered home UK student may apply for a Short Term Loan, but loans aren't usually given in the last two months of your course of study. We aim to contact you via email regarding the application within two working days (Monday to Friday).
Successful applicants must provide a debit card repayment dated for 30 days’ time (or your next student loan instalment, whichever is sooner) for the full value of the loan.
Short Term Loans can be collected from the Finance Office in Main House, Newton Park Campus (MHG07). You must provide your University student ID card on collection of the loan, and all loans need to be collected within two working days, or they'll be cancelled. In exceptional circumstances the loan can be paid via BACS into your bank account.
Failure to repay your loan may result in you being excluded from the Short Term Loan Scheme or being unable to register for your next year of study.