Darren McKay joined Bath Spa University as a Senior Lecturer on the Primary PGCE programme in March 2017. He is a member of the Primary Science and Professional Studies teams. He has 20 years experience working in Primary Education in inner London as a classroom teacher and Senior Leader. He has worked as an Advanced Skills Teacher (English, Science and Inclusion) for Westminster LA supporting teachers raise standards in numerous schools.
Prior to working in Initial Teacher Education he worked as an Education Consultant and Management Coach working with Primary and Secondary colleagues in London and South Wales.
Darren currently is undertaking doctoral research exploring the development of beginning teachers’ knowledge of teacher competence and their understanding of what influences it.
- BEd (Hons.) Primary Sciences, University of the West of England
- MA Leadership and Management, University of London, Institute of Education
- National Professional Qualification for Headship, National College of School Leadership
- Level 5 Coaching and Mentoring in Management, Institute in Leadership and Management.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Association for Science Education Futures Group
- Professional Affiliate of the Chartered College of Teaching.
Other external roles
- External Moderator for United Teaching School Centred Initial Teacher Training Programme 2016 – present date
- Governor of Westfield Primary School.
Areas of expertise
- Mentoring and Coaching for school improvement
- Assessment and use of data to raise standards
- School Leadership
- Middle Leadership Development
- NQT Induction.