Bath Spa University and the Students’ Union recognise that the purchasing decisions we make have an impact on the environment and on the peoples and communities that provide our goods and services.
As part of our overall Environmental Policy, Bath Spa University is committed to making these impacts positive wherever we can. Purchasing and promoting Fairtrade goods will help us achieve this.
To underpin this Policy, we will;
- Communicate and promote this Fairtrade Policy to staff, students and BSU associates
- Increase the range of Fairtrade food, drinks, snacks and clothing items available at Students’ Union shops and bar and the University’s catering outlets
- Make Fairtrade products available as refreshments at BSU and Students’ Union meetings and official functions
- Organise promotional campaigns with the Students’ Union to raise awareness and understanding of the implications of Fairtrade including organising the annual ‘Fairtrade Fortnight’
- Work with academic staff to incorporate related theories and Fairtrade case studies into teaching.
This commitment underpins the University’s Environmental Policy and supports the Sustainable Food Policy by delivering on the following aims;
- Adopt sustainable purchasing practices and the use of environmentally sound goods and services
- Engage with other institutions and the wider community to share environmental best practice and to demonstrate environmental responsibility
- Continually develop and expand education for sustainable development in the curriculum for all students
- Promote environmental awareness and responsibility amongst all staff and students through awareness campaigns and training programmes
A Fairtrade working group with representatives from the staff and student body meets quarterly to drive the day-to-day initiatives on Fairtrade. This group reports to the Environmental Steering Group, which holds responsibility for reviewing and updating the Fairtrade policy.
Vice-Chancellor, Bath Spa University
President, Bath Spa University Student's Union