Explore your potential. Expand your network.
Our aim at Bath Spa University is to raise every student’s sights and broaden their horizons in terms of career goals, whilst also developing knowledge, skills and personal qualities that are valued by employers.
“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.”John C. Crosby
Our mentoring scheme, MentorMe, exists to connect you with industry professionals who can convert your aspirations into practical steps towards an easier transition into the world of work.
One to one guidance and support from a professional on our MentorMe scheme will equip you with a toolkit of employability skills that will make you stand out in today’s competitive graduate job market.
Sign up to MentorMe by filling in the short expression of interest form. The link will take you to your available Pathways on MyCareer. Find MentorMe and get started!
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is when someone shares their knowledge, skills and experience to empower and motivate another person, helping them to understand their objectives and how to achieve them.
It's a valuable opportunity to receive one to one guidance and support from an industry professional. Their role is not to provide the ‘answer’, but to help you find and explore the ‘answer’ that's right for you.
Who can apply?
MentorMe is open to all students who are ready to engage with an industry mentor.
Why get involved?
Mentors are experts in their field. They've acquired significant professional experience, which allows them to share their knowledge with their mentee. Every mentoring relationship is different, as it's personalised and goal focused.
What can a mentor help me with?
At the start of each mentoring relationship, you work together with your mentor to set achievable goals to work towards. A mentor can:
- Support you to explore different career options and give you an insight into working in different industries.
- Keep you motivated and remind you that you have the skills to succeed.
- Help to build your confidence.
- Work with you to enhance your CV and offer support with job applications.
- Help you develop your employability skills.
- Support you with developing your professional network, whatever business or sector we're in.
How does it work?
The scheme runs all year with an intake of up to 250 students. If you graduate before being matched with a mentor or you are still in a five month mentorship when you graduate, you can still continue on the scheme.
- Submit an Expression of Interest Form.
- Once you've been accepted by the Mentoring Coordinator, begin the MentorMe Pathway on MyCareer.
- Work through each stage of the Pathways (including attending mentee training).
- Create and add your profile onto the PushFar platform (see below).
- You'll be matched with your mentor.
- You'll arrange meetings with your mentor that are goal focused.
- You'll have five months to work through your career goals, but the amount of time you take will vary depending on each relationship.
Meetings are flexible and can be face-to-face, video or telephone calls and email contact.
About our mentoring software
We are using world-leading mentoring software and technology called PushFar to host our mentoring relationships. The easy to use software helps us to effectively match, manage and drive the scheme as well as being designed to help students to network and interact with fellow participants, track their progress, and set goals with their mentor.
As a mentee, you can also start threads and conversations, explore job opportunities, discover virtual events and network with other students.
“A learning partnership, with a primary goal of mentee development.”Garvey and Alred
Once you've been accepted onto the scheme, you'll need to complete the four stage training process called the MentorMe Pathway on MyCareer. This is to help us match you with the most suitable mentor.
Did you know you can count your experiences on MentorMe towards the Bath Spa Awards?
The Bath Spa Awards are open to all students and recognise the experiences, skills and activities students are gaining alongside their degree course. It's a great way to demonstrate to employers your motivation to improve your employability.
If you have any questions or queries please contact the Mentoring Coordinator.