Skip to main content
Care leavers estranged students and carers – Bath Spa University

Care and Foyer Leavers, Estranged Students and Young Adult Carers

We want you to get the best out of your course and university experience, and additional support is available if you're a care leaver, foyer leaver, estranged from family or young adult carer.

Care experienced students

If you're under 25 and have been in local authority care for more than 12 weeks since the age of 14 – whether you’re a current student or thinking of coming to Bath Spa University – we’re here for you.

Bath Spa has signed the Care Leavers Covenant, demonstrating our commitment to enabling care leavers in higher education.

Foyer leavers

If you're under 25 and currently living at an accredited Foyer or have moved out of an accredited Foyer in the past 12 months, we are here to help.

Estranged students

If you're under 25 and no longer have any contact with your parents or guardians and you're thinking of coming to Bath Spa University, or you're already a student here, we can help.

Bath Spa University has taken the Stand Alone Pledge to show our commitment to estranged students in higher education.

Young adult carers

A young adult carer is someone aged 16-25 who provides non-parental, unpaid care to a partner, relative, friend or neighbour who couldn’t manage without this help because of frailty, physical or mental illness, disability or addiction.

Support and services available

Student Wellbeing Services

Care experienced students, Foyer leavers, estranged students and young adult carers all have access to a named Student Wellbeing Services Advisor who can act as a dedicated point of contact throughout their time at Bath Spa University.

Their role is to provide practical advice, guidance and support and work with students to enable engagement with their studies.

Student Wellbeing Services also facilitates access to a non-repayable Independent Student Bursary of £1,000 per academic year (for the standard course duration) for care experienced students, Foyer leavers or estranged students who:

  • have Home student status
  • are under the age of 25 on 1 September before the academic year commences
  • have been assessed as independent via estrangement by Student Finance and can evidence this; can evidence being care experienced via a letter from the local authority; or evidence they have been resident in a Foyer, from their Foyer Manager.

Students studying at partner institutions may be eligible to access The Independent Student Bursary subject to meeting eligibility criteria, please contact your partner wellbeing/support team for more information.

Access Fund

Care leavers, Foyer leavers, estranged students and young adult carers are given priority consideration for any applications to the University Access Fund.

Student Finance

If you're assessed as a care leaver, Foyer leaver or an estranged student by Student Finance, you could be entitled to the maximum entitlement for support with living costs. You can find further information on eligibility and the application process on UCAS. If you need help making your claim, please contact Student Wellbeing Services.

Young adult carers may qualify for additional financial support – the Adult Dependants' Grant – if they're studying an undergraduate programme, or PGCE leading to QTS.

Bath Spa University Bursary

Care leavers, Foyer leavers, students estranged from family and young adult carers may also be eligible for the institutional Bath Spa Bursary – up to £4,000 over the duration of a three year course.

Access arrangements

As part of the support for young adult carers, the University can consider and suggest reasonable adjustments which are designed to help balance the demands of study with the responsibilities of being a carer.


If you are estranged from your family or a Foyer/care leaver, we can help you to find suitable accommodation for the duration of your course, including vacation periods if required.

Unite Foundation Scholarship

Students who are estranged from their parents or are a care leaver can also apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship.

The scholarship gives care leaver/experienced and estranged students a free ensuite student bedroom in a purpose built Unite Students building for a maximum of three years of your university life. No rent, no bills; 365 days a year for up to three years of eligible study.

External support

Charities and support organisations
  • Stand Alone: A charity that offers support to individuals who are estranged from their families.
  • This Is Us: A student-led community that is a dedicated and safe online space for estranged and care-experienced students in the UK to connect, share info, arrange meet-ups and more! It’s free, national and open to all ages & years of study.
  • Become: A charity that supports care leavers to fulfil their potential.
  • Propel: Run by the charity Become, Propel supports care leavers to access higher education.
Carer's assessments

Carers can qualify for additional support through their local councils and other approved agencies by undertaking a carer's assessment. This is an assessment offered by social services and other organisations that can help identify any additional support needs and provide access to specialist services within the local area. You can find more information through the NHS.

Edit section | Website feedback to