Sustainability – Bath Spa University

What to know more about sustainability at Bath Spa? Through our 'green focus' we recognise and cherish the unique spaces in which we learn and work. Discover our sustainability strategy, our Climate Pledge, and more in these pages.

It doesn’t stop with the people – we care for our environment too. With our detailed sustainability strategy and climate pledge, we're encouraging the Bath Spa community to pave the way in making a necessary change.

Our Sustainability Policy sets out the aim to minimise our impacts and continually improve our environmental performance, and our Sustainability Strategy shows how we'll deliver this focused on seven key themes.

Our most recent annual report outlines recent progress and how we're doing across the board.

What we're doing

Managing our environmental impacts

We manage our environmental impacts through the internationally recognised standard ISO14001, which specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS) covering all activities and sites. Our environmental manual sets out the intended outcomes of the EMS and how we ensure compliance with the standard. Our environmental planner sets out our objectives, targets and responsibilities.

In July 2020, we became one of a small handful of UK universities to have been awarded the International standard for energy management ISO50001. This gives us confidence that we're managing our energy consumption and carbon emissions in the best way we can and supports our Net Zero Carbon 2030 target.

Supporting the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

We support the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and are signatories to the SDG Accord, a worldwide collaboration of universities, committed to delivering the Goals.

As part of our support for the SDGs, we're mapping our curriculum, research, business practice and partnership-building against the Goals, in order to understand where we're doing well and where we can improve. This is our first SDG report on progress so far. It's a huge task and there will always be much to do but it's helping us to play a meaningful role in making a better world.

Reducing single-use plastics

We've taken a number of actions on single-use plastics, and have produced a rationale for why we have taken these steps.

Using certified renewable energy sources

Since 2016, all our electricity has come from certified renewable sources. 20% of our electricity is purchased under a power purchase agreement (PPA) directly from a UK wind farm. The other 80% is purchased from the REGO scheme. We're working with our energy provider to secure 100% electricity directly from new wind and solar.

Want to find out more?

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram, or email us on environment@bathspa.ac.uk.

Edit section | Website feedback to web@bathspa.ac.uk