Applying from abroad

We welcome staff from around the world to apply. With students and staff from over 50 countries, you'll find yourself at home.

As the University is bound to comply with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, it is a requirement that employers ensure prospective employees have the legal right to work in the UK. You will be asked to present an original document to show evidence to work in the UK to Reception if you are asked to attend an interview. In most cases, this is a passport or a full birth certificate, showing at least one parent's name together with an official document showing your National Insurance number ie NI card, P60, P45.

Further details on working in the UK are available from the Guidance notes for non-EEA job applicants.

Non-EEA (European Economic Area) nationals

Visa requirements

As a non-EEA national, you may not need to apply for a visa. You may have obtained settlement (indefinite leave to remain or ILR) in which case you have the right to work in the UK.

If not, BSU is a sponsoring organisation under UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points Based System. However, certificates of sponsorship are limited by government and posts must meet minimum salary and qualification levels to be eligible. A Resident Labour Market Test must also be carried out to ensure there are no suitable applicants who are settled workers or from within the EEA. In addition to being granted a certificate of sponsorship, applicants must be able to demonstrate they meet English language requirements plus have sufficient maintenance to obtain a visa.

Subject to meeting the above requirements, if you are already in the UK on a timed stay with valid right to work, BSU may issue (though there is no automatic guarantee) an ‘unrestricted’ certificate of sponsorship from an annual amount granted to us by the UKVI. For overseas applicants we must put in a request to the UKVI for permission to issue a ‘restricted’ certificate of sponsorship, subject to a national quota.

Bath Spa University will pay for the fees for a certificate of sponsorship for a prospective employee. Any other fees to the prospective employee or fees incurred as a result of applications for dependants will be the responsibility of the employee.

If you have any questions regarding the above please contact us by email at

Examples of valid immigration categories

  • Work permit (no longer issued) – you may be able to switch into tier 2
  • Post-study work visa (no longer issued) – you may be able to switch into tier 2
  • Tier 4 student visa. Usually restricted to up to 20 hours of work during term time. You may be able to switch into tier 2 once your studies are complete
  • Tier 2 is a highly skilled work route and covers degree level jobs. Even if you currently have a tier 2 visa for another organisation, you will need to be sponsored by Bath Spa to work for us. Full time academic posts will be eligible for certificates of sponsorship. If the post for which you’re applying is a professional services post, or a part time academic post, please email so we can consult the UKVI code of practice for the role and ensure it meets meet minimum rates of pay and skill levels.

Visa expiry

We are obliged to inform the UKVI by completing the "Notification of Premature End of Employment" (NPEE) form if you resign or are dismissed before your visa expires.

If your visa expires and you have not made a valid, in-time application to extend, switch into another tier or for ILR, you may be dismissed for some other substantial reason.

Your finances

Bank account

It is advisable to open a bank or building society account as soon as possible after your arrival in the UK.

Before you leave home, talk to your bank and find out if they have any links with banks in the UK. It may also help to bring a letter from your bank manager with you to confirm your account history.  Different banks or building societies may ask you for different documents to open an account; you may want to check this with them before arriving.

Below is a list of some of the UK's bank and building societies, with links to their new account pages:

Your bank or building society may give you a card and cheque book, which are safer ways to make transactions and access your money, rather than carrying cash around with you.

Cost of living

There will be various costs associated with living in the UK that you should allow for when preparing your move.

  • Rent/Mortgage
  • Water
  • Gas and Electricity
  • Council Tax
  • Television Licence
  • Telephone and internet
  • Insurance
  • Car Costs
  • Public Transport Costs

A currency calculator can help you to understand the costs compared to the currency in your home country.


Your initial salary and salary scale (if applicable) will be set out in your letter of appointment

Your salary will be paid by the Payroll Team by BACS monthly into your bank or building society account, on the 21st of the month (or the nearest working day).

If you work part time, the salary payable will be fixed in proportion to the full time annual salary.  For example, if you work 50% of a full time post then your pro rata salary will be 50% of the full time salary.

All workers in the UK must pay income tax, the amount of which depends on how much you earn.  If this is the first time you have been paid in the UK you will need to complete an HMRC form (that will be sent with your contract) and forward it to the Payroll Office.

National Insurance Number

Everyone who works in the UK must pay National Insurance contributions to the Government, which are used to fund social services such as healthcare, state pensions and social security.  All payments made by Payroll as part of your monthly salary are subject to National Insurance deductions.  The rate varies and is dependant upon your monthly earnings.

In order to be paid, it is essential that you obtain a unique National Insurance Number. This can be obtained as soon as you are resident in the UK, by calling JobCentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 who will guide you through the process of obtaining a number. Alternatively, please visit the website for more information.

Edit section | Website feedback to