Skip to main content
Accessibility and disability – Bath Spa University

All students should have an equal opportunity to thrive at university. We provide information, guidance, advice and practical support to students who identify as disabled and neurodiverse; including dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism spectrum (ASC), mental ill-health, medical conditions and sensory or mobility impairments.

Please tell Student Wellbeing Services if you identify as disabled and/or neurodiverse, even if you don't think it will affect you while you're at university.

The information you provide is treated as personal and sensitive data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and is made available on a "need to know" basis only, to university staff involved with your application, the organisation of any arrangements and/or the implementation of reasonable adjustments.

Accessibility Advisors

How we can help you

Accessibility Advisors can help coordinate additional support and give advice and guidance on the following.

  • Screening and assessment for a specific learning difference
  • Production of an AAP (Academic Access Plan) which makes recommendations for specific arrangements for your learning and assessment and is shared with academic staff
  • How to access helpful resources, services, facilities, software and support
  • Accessibility regarding your accommodation and campus in general
  • Arrangements to keep you safe in an emergency evacuation or medical emergency
  • Accessing DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance) and other supportive measures
  • Liaising with useful internal and external services
  • Your academic progress and options
  • Be a point of contact throughout your time here.


  • Listen to you
  • Help you understand your situation
  • Plan and problem-solve
  • Agree actions and next steps.

Your checklist

This checklist outlines the steps you should complete prior to commencing your studies at Bath Spa. Doing so allows us to work with you and explore any arrangements that might be helpful to you accessing your studies and university life.

You can download this checklist as a PDF to save or print.

  • Complete this questionnaire, think about the support you currently receive, such as that at college or sixth form, as well as what you might find useful at university.
  • If you are a Teach First Trainee, Bath Spa University wants to ensure you are able to access and receive appropriate support and adjustments for your academic studies. You may identify as disabled, including a specific learning difference, physical or mental health condition or neurodivergent. Please complete this short questionnaire to tell us more about what you would find helpful.
  • Please upload supporting evidence to MyWellbeing. Examples of supporting evidence include diagnostic reports, GP/therapist letters, Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP), and individual learning plans, such as a Form 8.
  • Apply for DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance). If you are a Home UK student you can apply for DSA once Student Finance applications open. For further information please visit the Student Finance web pages. This video explains the process.
  • Register for one of our DSA application workshops if you have any questions about the DSA application process, or would like assistance with completing your application.
  • Complete an online Quickscan assessment to explore if you have indicators of a Specific Learning Difference, such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia. It’s free for applicants and students of Bath Spa University and takes 15-20 minutes!
  • Inform the University of any disability-related accommodation requirements. You may be asked to provide evidence of your disability. Our access arrangements web page provides further information.
  • Consider participating in any transition events or activities. You can find information on the Student Wellbeing Services web pages.

If you’re not sure what to do at any stage, please contact Student Wellbeing Services through MyWellbeing. You can ask questions, book appointments and see upcoming events and workshops by logging into ‘MyWellbeing’.

Useful information

Academic Access Plan (AAP) questionnaire

All applicants offered a place at the University are invited to complete a questionnaire requesting some information about their disability, specific learning difference, autism spectrum or medical or mental health condition. This information will be used to produce an Academic Access Plan (AAP).

Complete the questionnaire

What is an Academic Access Plan (AAP)?

With your consent, we share information about your requirements for learning with colleagues via an Academic Access Plan (AAP). Your AAP will include recommendations for study in class, for timed examinations (including in-class tests), tutorials, other assessments, placements and field trips. 

If you have access requirements but haven't had contact with Student Wellbeing Services, please get in touch with us:

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) pays for extra support for eligible disabled students e.g. neurodiversity including Autism Spectrum Condition, dyslexia or dyspraxia, medical or mental health condition. It is a non-means tested allowance for eligible UK students, which pays for extra costs incurred as a result of a disability.

The DSA may provide:

  • specialist equipment, such as computer software
  • non-medical helpers, such as specialist study skills support or a mentor
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • a general allowance for consumables, such as photocopying.

Students are required to make a contribution of £200 towards the cost of IT equipment.

Please note: DSA doesn’t cover the disability-related costs you would have if you weren't attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

Apply as early as possible before arriving at university to ensure your support is in place. Please see the links below on how to apply, depending on where you live:

Are there other things I should do?
  • Apply for your student finance
  • Complete and return the Academic Access Plan questionnaire, including supporting evidence
  • Contact Student Wellbeing Services to arrange an appointment with an Accessibility Advisor 
  • Apply for your accommodation – include details of any access arrangements
  • If you currently receive any personal support from social services please contact them to discuss how this will be transitioned or implemented at the University
  • If you do not currently receive support from social services but wish to explore this as a possibility, you can find more information on the NHS website.
UCAS disability codes

When completing your UCAS application form, please use these codes to indicate what disability you have:

  • A - No disability
  • B - You have a social/communication impairment such as such as an autism spectrum condition/Asperger's syndrome
  • C - You're blind or have a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses
  • D - You're deaf or have a serious hearing impairment
  • E - You have a long-standing illness or health condition such as cancer, HIV, diabetes, chronic heart disease or epilepsy
  • F - You have a mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety 
  • G - You have a specific learning difference such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or AD(H)D
  • H - You have physical impairment or mobility issues, such as difficulty using your arms or using a wheelchair or crutches
  • I - You have a disability, impairment or medical condition that is not listed above
  • J - You have two or more impairments and/or disabling medical conditions.
Get Started - Early Induction Event

Get Started is an early induction event that takes place just before the start of the academic year. All first year students who have disclosed a sensory or physical disability, autism spectrum or long-term health condition are invited.

It'll be particularly helpful if you're living away from home for the first time and aims to give you the best possible start to your time at Bath Spa. 

For more information visit the Get Started web page.

Screening for Specific Learning Differences (SpLD)

If you think you may be dyslexic or have another specific learning difference you can access an online Quickscan assessment, free for applicants and students of Bath Spa University. If the assessment shows indicators of an SpLD please contact to discuss next steps.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) and/or care plan

A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) is a working plan of escape in an emergency evacuation for students who may require assistance or special arrangements to escape to a place of safety from University buildings (this includes anyone with a temporary impairment or who is in the later stages of pregnancy).

A PEEP is written by Student Wellbeing Services, in collaboration with the student, their Area Safety Managers, Health and Safety, and Student Accommodation (as appropriate). The PEEP is subject to review for each new academic year and following any changes in the student’s condition, regular locations or buildings used.

Care plan for students with intermittent medical conditions

The Care Plan is a document for students who have intermittent medical conditions that may require assistance in the event of an incident. It is shared with the School(s) of Study via the course leader(s), First Aiders, Library, Accommodation and Security to ensure that the appropriate actions are undertaken in an emergency situation.

A Care Plan is written by Student Wellbeing Services, in collaboration with the student. It's subject to review for each new academic year and following any changes in the student’s condition, regular locations or buildings used.

UCAS guidance and support

UCAS have produced a helpful list of FAQs about DSA that you can find on their website

Information for Needs Assessors

Student Wellbeing Services will be operating face-to-face and virtually for the 2022/23 academic year. When preparing Needs Assessments, please make students aware that they can receive support in the format they'd prefer.

Edit section | Website feedback to