Applying for Accommodation

A guaranteed offer of accommodation

Applicants who meet our eligibility criteria and apply before the application deadline will be guaranteed an offer of accommodation. A guaranteed offer will be for a room in any of the properties available to Bath Spa applicants (university-owned or operated by a private provider).

3, 2, 1, Go!

Exams? Money worries? Accommodation? We’ve launched 3, 2, 1, Go! – three ways to help you take that important first step to who you want to be.


When to apply

Our online application system is currently closed and will be open again in early 2019.

Firm choice applicants will be contacted by email when the application system is set to go live. If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to email our team at accommodation@bathspa.ac.uk.

We don’t use a 'first come, first served' system and will consider all applications equally. Please be aware that the Accommodation Preferences form on the application system is only to register your preferred options. There is no guarantee that you'll be allocated one of these, although we'll try to do so.

Bath Spa University offers a wide range of contract lengths, prices and room types. Your accommodation preferences are entered into our allocation system, and where possible we endeavor to meet your preferred choices. By completing this form, you're accepting that you have researched the different options and understand the financial responsibility of the preferences you have indicated. We may not be able to allocate you a room aligned to your preferences above, due to demand. Please specify what you would consider your preferences in order of priority to input into our allocation system.

If you need to disclose a medical condition or disability and have specific accommodation requirements, please contact us as you may be eligible for our Priority Halls process


Students are eligible for accommodation if they meet the following three criteria:

  • Are going into their first year of undergraduate study at Bath Spa University, are a full-time applicant and have made Bath Spa University their firm choice
  • Live more than 10 miles from the university (appeals will be considered, please see below section)
  • Will be studying at Newton Park campus, Sion Hill campus, The Circus, Dartmouth Avenue or at City of Bath College (studying a Bath Spa foundation degree).

10 mile appeals

What is a 10 mile appeal?

If you'd like to move into University halls of residences but live within 10 miles of the University, then you wouldn't be eligible to apply for accommodation. However, you do have the option to appeal the decision. 

How do I apply for an appeal?

To apply for an appeal, please email a short statement about why you'd like to live in halls of residences to accommodation@bathspa.ac.uk after the application window opens. We will review this and respond to you with an outcome.

The information in your appeal could include:

  • Travel times
  • Travel costs
  • Your student experience
  • Medical needs.

We're looking to see that you recognise the costs involved in living in halls of residences and that you've properly researched this and are sure it is something that you want to do, including researching the difference between the cost of your commute and living in halls of residence.

In your appeal please include:

  • Your full name,
  • Date of birth
  • UCAS or Bath Spa University student ID.

Please note, we can only accept appeals from students and not from a parent or guardian.

Receiving an offer

How to accept your offer

You will be sent and offer of accommodation the week following A-level results day via email. Please ensure your email on UCAS is up to date, as we use the email address you have registered with them for our communications.

Information on how to accept your offer will be sent via email and will detail any further information required. Please note that this will vary between UNITE Students accommodation, Waterside Court and Charlton Court, iQ accommodation, Twerton Mill and BSU managed accommodation, Green Park House, Bankside House, Gardens and Lakeside.

How to reject your offer

If you decide to reject this offer of accommodation, you'll have the option of going onto the accommodation waiting list. Applicants opting to join the waiting list won't be guaranteed another offer. You'll only receive a new offer should an alternative room become available in the order you have joined the waiting list.

Further information

For further details of each accommodation provider’s requirements, please see Accepting Your Offer.

For more information on the entire process, please scroll down to see our Frequently Asked Questions.

Key points

  • You must declare any disabilities or medical needs when applying. Supporting evidence of this status will be requested
  • Only include accommodation options you are prepared to take
  • You’ll be able to change your accommodation options up until we close our online application system
  • It's important that you keep your contact details up to date. You’ll also need update UCAS with any change in circumstances.

Offers and allocations

How allocations work

Students with priority status are allocated rooms first. Priority status is given to:

  • Applicants with disabilities or access needs (who have provided medical/supporting information to the University and who have been approved) who have submitted a housing application by the deadline
  • Full-time International (non-EU) applicants who have submitted an accommodation application by the deadline

All other accommodation applications are randomised; please note that rooms are not allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. The university will try to allocate an applicant their highest ranked accommodation preference wherever possible. Every effort is made to offer applicants their first choice of accommodation, although this is not always possible due to high demand for rooms. As a result some applicants will be offered one of their other choices or, in some cases, accommodation for which they did not state a preference.

If you have not applied by the accommodation application deadline, and in the event that the university has insufficient bed spaces to meet applicant demand, we will offer you assistance with finding accommodation in the private sector.

Accepting your offer

You will be sent an offer of accommodation in the week following A-Level results day. This offer will state the room you have been offered, the price, contract length and steps that you need to take to accept the offer. The process of accepting your offer will be slightly different depending on what accommodation you are offered. To accept the accommodation you will need to log into our online system using your UCAS ID and date of birth. You will then be asked to do some or all of the following depending on your accommodation offer.

Newton Park, Green Park House and Bankside House

After logging into the online system and pressing ‘accept your offer’, you will be directed to a page showing your online Licence Agreement. You will need to read this document carefully as you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of this legal document. Should you have any questions at this point it is important you make contact with us. Once you fully understand and agree to the terms and conditions you can sign it electronically. To do this, you will need to enter a pin number which will have been sent to your mobile phone that morning. If you do not receive a pin then there will be a link on the offer letter that you can follow to alert us to this and we will look at an alternative way to send this to you.

Once you have completed this, you are all done! There are move in instructions attached to the offer letter email and we will look forward to meeting you in September.

Charlton and Waterside Court

Charlton and Waterside Court are managed by UNITE. You will be initially required to complete their booking form and to make an upfront payment of £250 that is then taken off your first rent instalment. The completion of your booking form is your acceptance of your room at Waterside Court or Charlton Court. You will then be directed to complete guarantor information and sign your tenancy agreement. All further correspondence about their process will come directly from UNITE. You should ensure you fully understand the legal commitment you are making before signing and returning the tenancy agreement. If the booking form is not completed by the date stated, the accommodation offer will be withdrawn by Bath Spa University.

UNITE staff will be able to answer questions regarding the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement by emailing bath@unite-students.co.uk

Twerton Mill

Twerton Mill is managed by iQ Student Accommodation. You will be sent a link to iQ's online booking form with your accommodation offer. The completion of the booking form is your confirmation of acceptance of a room at Twerton Mill. You’ll be required to pay the £250 booking fee when completing the online booking form. Once you move into Twerton Mill the £250 will then be used as your housing deposit. All further correspondence will come directly from iQ.

If the booking form is not completed by the date stated the accommodation offer will be withdrawn by Bath Spa University. iQ will generate an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and send it to you. You should ensure you fully understand the legal commitment you are making, before signing and returning the tenancy agreement.

Rejecting your offer

If you are unhappy with or no longer require your accommodation offer, then you do have the option to reject it and go onto the waiting list for another offer.

Please be aware that a second accommodation offer is not guaranteed and the waiting list is operated on a first come, first served basis.

Frequently asked questions

Can I view the halls of residence before I move in?

There are a number of open days and applicant visit days throughout the year which will give you the opportunity to view the different types of accommodation that BSU offer. We regularly post photos of our rooms in albums on our Facebook page.

You can also find 360° images of our rooms by clicking here and browsing the albums we have for each location. We are adding new images regularly, so please check back for more.

I am a postgraduate applicant, can I apply for accommodation?

Accommodation is only offered to international postgraduate students. However, we can assist students by helping you make contact with others in a similar position and provide you with private sector guidance to assist in searching for shared student housing.

We have a limited number of rooms available for postgraduate students at our Green Park House accommodation that may be suitable, via our Direct Lets process. For more information, please contact the accommodation team. 

Which accommodation options can I apply for?

The campus where you will be studying will determine which accommodation options you are eligible to apply for.

Students who will be studying at Newton Park Campus – are eligible to choose all accommodation options except Bankside House.

Students who will be studying at Sion Hill Campus or Locksbrook Road (this includes courses taught at City of Bath College Dartmouth Avenue and The Circus) – are eligible to choose Bankside House, Charlton Court, Twerton Mill, Waterside Court, or Green Park House.

Students who will be studying a combined subject course taught on both Newton Park Campus and Sion Hill Campus (for example, Drama taught at Newton Park and Fine Art taught at Sion Hill), are eligible to choose any of the accommodation options.

How do I fill out the application form?

You will need: your ten digit personal UCAS ID (which you can find on any UCAS correspondence) OR your student number, and your date of birth, to access the online application form.

Please check your personal details to ensure your information is correct.

You will be asked to select five accommodation preferences. By choosing your accommodation preferences, you are registering interest in any of these accommodation choices.

What If I miss the application deadline?

Students who miss the application deadline will not be able to apply for accommodation in the first instance, and they will need to contact Student Accommodation team for advice.

Costs and Legalities

Do I need to pay a deposit or reservation fee?

If you are living in Bath Spa University managed halls, you will not need to pay a deposit or reservation fee. If you live in halls managed by external providers (Twerton Mill/Waterside Court and Charlton Court) you will receive full information on what you need to provide when you receive your offer.

Will I have to provide guarantor details?

Students who accept an offer of accommodation for a room with Twerton Mill, Waterside Court and Charlton Court will need to provide a guarantor reference.

A guarantor should be a responsible person who will be accountable for paying your rent and any damages should you be unable to make the payments. By signing the tenancy your guarantor will accept joint responsibility for the financial aspects of the tenancy agreement.

What happens if I move into halls of residence, and then later decide that I want to live somewhere else?

You are legally responsible for paying the total accommodation fees for the year and should refer to the terms and conditions of your contract. Under no circumstances should students enter in to two different contracts for accommodation for the same year.

Further Questions

I'm disabled, what do I need to do to get help with my accommodation?

If you disclosed a disability or medical need on your UCAS form, Student Support should have been in contact with you. If you did not disclose this on UCAS, please email studentsupport@bathspa.ac.uk for further information. You can also request further information about disability support at Bath Spa and the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

Is all accommodation mixed sex?

Generally accommodation is mixed sex, but we may be able to arrange single sex accommodation if there is demand. Please make it clear on your application form if you want to live in a single sex flat. We will do our best to accommodate this but it cannot be guaranteed.

Can I bring a car?

As all of our halls of residence are very limited for space, residents are unable to bring cars with them to university. However all of our halls of residence are within short walking distance of Bath's excellent public transport system, and the vast majority of our students make use of this.

Can I bring a pet?

You are not permitted to bring any animal, bird, fish or any other creature. This will be stated as a condition of all accommodation contracts.

Can I bring my musical instruments? Will they fit into my room?

Although you are very welcome to bring musical instruments, room sizes will vary so please check before bringing any large instruments. Please be mindful of our regulations on noise when playing instruments.

I have received an offer at one of your partner colleges, who do I need to contact for help with accommodation?

As a student studying at one of Bath Spa University’s partner colleges, you will need to apply for accommodation through your respective college. If you haven’t heard from your partner college or have concerns please do not hesitate to contact us as we have details of the appropriate contact for each partner college

Can I stay in my accommodation over the Christmas and Easter holidays?

Unless you have signed a contract requiring you to move out over Easter you can stay in your room or store your belongings until the end of your contract. 

Am I allowed to have a guest to stay in halls?

Although guests are welcome in our accommodation, they must be over the age of 18 and can stay for a maximum of two nights in any seven day period. All guests must be signed in by security.

Do I need a TV licence?

For further information about TV licencing, please see their website.  

Do I need to pay any utility bills?

The utility bills in halls accommodation include your heating and hot water and your internet. You will need to buy your own TV licence.

Can I have a fridge in my room?

Fridges are not allowed in study rooms unless there is a medical need. To apply to bring your own fridge on medical grounds, please contact our student support team who will liaise with us. Please note we do not provide fridges.

Are there laundry facilities?

There are laundry facilities on all sites that are accessible 24 hours a day. Washing detergents are not provided.

The laundry on all sites is managed by a third party company called Circuit. You can download the Circuit app for free by typing in Circuit laundry in the app store.

Can I smoke in my room?

Smoking is strictly prohibited inside all student accommodation, including your study room or any indoor communal areas; there are dedicated outdoor smoking areas by your halls or common areas.

Where can I purchase items for my room?

For students arriving in September, Uni Kit Out can arrange for bedding/kitchens to arrive at the university before you move in. If you are about to move into Bath Spa University accommodation, you can find out more information here.

What size is my bed?

The bed sizes can vary between the different room types so it is important to know what room you are moving into so that you can ensure you bring the correct duvet and sheet set with you.

  • Lakeside Housing - Single beds
  • The Gardens Housing - 124cm x 194cm. This is between a double and small double bed and we recommend bringing double bedding (with a non-fitted sheet).
  • Bankside House Single Study rooms - Single beds
  • Bankside House Studio Flat - Single beds
  • Waterside Court - Single beds
  • Charlton Court - 3/4 size beds
  • Green Park House - 124cm x 194cm. This is between a double and small double bed and we recommend bringing double bedding (with a non-fitted sheet).

What to bring - bedrooms:

  • Bedding – sheet, pillowcase, duvet cover x 2 sets, and a pillow(s) and duvet NB: Please check what size your bed in halls will be.  
  • Towels  Bath mat  
  • Alarm clock (if your mobile phone doesn’t have one)  
  • Coat hangers  
  • Personal belongings to make your room feel homely

What to bring - kitchens:

  • Crockery – a couple of plates, bowls, mugs, cups, glasses  
  • Cutlery and cooking utensils – e.g. wooden spoon, tin opener, bottle opener, cheese grater, chopping board, colander, baking trays etc.  
  • Pots and pans for cooking  
  • Tea towels  
  • Airtight food containers

What to bring - general:

  • Cleaning materials - Washing up liquid, cloths, cleaning products (non-bleach) for basin/en-suite, duster, polish, washing powder for clothes etc  
  • Toilet rolls  
  • Iron (an ironing board is provided in communal kitchens)
  • Basic food provisions to last until you do your first shop  
  • Toiletries

Items that are not permitted in halls:  

  • Deep fat fryers/chip pans  
  • Candles and incense sticks  
  • Barbecues  
  • Electric/paraffin heaters  
  • Electrical items that are over a year old that have not been PAT tested. Initial PAT testing will be offered at the start of the academic year. Information will be provided at the start of term. 

Edit section | Website feedback to web@bathspa.ac.uk