We're pleased to be working with a number of School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) partners to deliver a Postgraduate Certificate of Education designed with them and for them.
SCITTs (School-Centred Initial Teacher Training providers) are networks of schools that have been approved to run school-centred training. They provide practical, hands-on teacher education, delivered by experienced, practising teachers, based in their own school or a school in their network. Bath Spa University works with a growing number of Primary and Early Years, Secondary and cross-phase SCITTs to deliver the academic award of the Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) as part of their initial teacher training.
Training towards the recommendation of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is delivered by each SCITT in their respective schools and SCITT centres, through practical work and taught sessions. On successful completion of training, each SCITT recommends trainees for QTS to the Department for Education (DfE).
Bath Spa University’s Postgraduate Certificate in Education is designed with SCITTs and for SCITTs, in order to ensure that critical thinking and reflection form an integrated part of both QTS and PGCE programmes and, as a result, an integrated part of each teacher’s practice. Learning is placed at the heart of each assignment, in order to form explicit links with classroom practice, QTS and the Core Content Framework.
"Every day you’ll get the chance to inspire young people and use your skills to give something back – making sure every pupil gets the same access to a quality education and the opportunity to succeed."Department for Education, Get into Teaching
Bath Spa University’s School of Education can provide the SCITT PGCE through one of two pathways:
- University delivery of the PGCE, providing teaching, academic support and assessment;
- A collaborative partnership, where the SCITT delivers and assesses the PGCE themselves, moderated by the University.
Both routes lead to the award of Bath Spa University’s SCITT PGCE through a formal validation mechanism.
We currently work with the following SCITTs:
- Buckingham Partnership, Buckinghamshire (Primary/Secondary)
- Cornwall SCITT, Cornwall (Primary and Early Years/Secondary)
- Hamwic SCITT, Hampshire (Primary)
- i2i Teaching Partnership, Surrey (Secondary)
- Mid Somerset Consortium, Somerset (Secondary)
- North Wiltshire SCITT, Wiltshire (Primary/Secondary)
- Primary Catholic Partnership, Hampshire (Primary and Early Years)
- South West Teacher Training, Devon (Primary and Early Years/Secondary)
- Wessex Schools Training Partnership, Dorset (Secondary)
Are you a SCITT? Want to get involved with us?
We're always keen to build upon our successful and highly-regarded partnerships. If you'd like to discuss working with Bath Spa University, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.