Area of research excellence: Education
Bath Spa University’s School of Education has built an excellent local, national and international reputation in the fields of research in:
- social and educational equity and inclusion
- special educational needs
- science learning and assessment
- teacher education
- critical education policy
- creativity in education and
- early childhood studies.
With interdisciplinary engagement from art and design, creative writing, psychology, and environmental humanities, we produce innovative, socially-engaged, creative, participatory and critical research which impacts on education practice and practitioners, and on wider debates.
The socially-engaged and practice-relevant nature of our research impact strategy has been key to allowing us to develop research in partnership with community partners and research beneficiaries--many of whom we have long-standing partnerships with--who benefit from our research and put it into practice.
This research ranges from work which is a response to an issue identified by partners, to fully participatory, bottom-up approaches which make use of existing local and national networks and enable us to build new ones. It is of direct relevance and benefit to practitioners and community groups.
Related research centres
- Centre for Cultural and Creative Industries
- Centre for Environmental Humanities
- Centre for Transcultural Creativity and Education.