Dave joined Bath Spa in 2015 to work in Marketing and Operations Management following over a decade in consultancy and training. Previously academic positions include Exeter University and the University of Plymouth.
His expertise bridged two areas:
- Marketing, with a recent focus on research into consumer behaviour, particularly the interrelationships between value and time. Previous commercial projects in B2B marketing included servitization of goods in logistics, specialist software, and innovative routes to market for packaging products.
- Operations and Project Management, particularly projects in strategic sourcing. Recent work has encompassed a wide variety of supply networks for larger organisations from food to oil and gas, from IT to banking.
His research projects included qualitative studies on value and time for consumers and a quantitative study on service quality in healthcare.
- PhD in Marketing (Exeter University)
- MPhil in Management (University of Plymouth)
- BSc (Exeter University).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Research and academic outputs
Smith, D, Gosling, J and Maddern, H (2015) 'A consumer perspective on Moments of Truth.' In: Tait, A, Denyer, D and Narvydaite, M, eds. BAM2015 conference proceedings. British Academy of Management (BAM), London. ISBN 9780954960889
Hudson Smith, M and Smith, D (2018) 'Directing improvements in primary care patient experience through analysis of service quality.' Health Services Research, 53 (6). pp. 4647-4666. ISSN 0017-9124
Smith, D and Salari, N (2018) Vampire grades: can simulations support learning without reflection? In: American Marketing Academy Summer Conference, 10 - 13 August 2018, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.