Dave joined Bath Spa in 2015 to work in Marketing and Operations Management following over a decade in consultancy and training. Previously academic positions include Exeter University and the University of Plymouth.
His expertise bridges two areas;
1) Marketing, with a recent focus on research into consumer behaviour, particularly the interrelationships between value and time. Previous commercial projects in B2B marketing have included servitization of goods in logistics, specialist software, and innovative routes to market for packaging products. This strand of work informs teaching through leadership of the final year International Marketing module.
2) Operations and Project Management, particularly projects in strategic sourcing. Recent work has encompassed a wide variety of supply networks for larger organisations from food to oil and gas, from IT to banking. This informs leadership of the second year Operations and Project Management module.
Current research projects include qualitative studies on value and time for consumers and a quantitative study on service quality in healthcare.
- PhD in Marketing (Exeter University)
- MPhil in Management (University of Plymouth)
- BSc (Exeter University).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My recent focus is on research into consumer behaviour, particularly the interrelationships between value and time.
I am also interested in B2B marketing including servitization of goods in logistics, specialist software, and innovative routes to market for packaging products.
This has led to a lot of work around inter-organisational collaboration.
I have deployed a range of methods in different projects, from interpretive enquiry and grounded theory through action research to statistical analysis of large datasets.
Research and academic outputs
Smith, D, Gosling, J and Maddern, H (2015) 'A consumer perspective on Moments of Truth.' In: Tait, A, Denyer, D and Narvydaite, M, eds. BAM2015 conference proceedings. British Academy of Management (BAM), London. ISBN 9780954960889