Mahmoud Emira is a Senior Lecturer in Educational Leadership and Management and is the the award leader for Bath Spa's MA Education (Leadership and Management).
In addition to his main focus on leadership and management, Mahmoud has other research interests, including educational assessment, disability and inclusion and vocational education.
Prior to joining Bath Spa University, he worked as a Senior Researcher at Cambridge Assessment/OCR, which is a department of the University of Cambridge. His experience includes teaching in further and higher education in the UK and abroad, as well as having several publications in his research fields.
He has secured a number of research grants. His most recent one was from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (LFHE), where he led a research project to investigate leadership in higher education from a disability perspective.
- EdD, Professional Studies in Education (Leadership)
- PG Cert, Academic Practice in Higher Education
- PG Dip, Teaching Methods
- MA, TESOL
- BA, English Literature
- Member - British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS)
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Fellow - Society for Education and Training (SET)
- Practitioner - Association for Educational Assessment (AEA) Europe
Other external roles
Reviewer for the following academic journals
- Educational Management, Administration and Leadership (EMAL)
- International Journal of Leadership in Education (IJLE)
- Journal of Public Administration and Policy Research
- Asia Pacific Journal of Education (APJE).
- Cambridge Assessment Seminar 2017
- JVET Conference 2015
- EdComs Seminar 2014
- BELMAS Conference 2013
- EECERA Conference 2012
- CICE 2012
- ECER Conference 2011
- BERA Conference 2011
- MMU Conference 2010
- ICERI 2009
- IPDA Conference 2008
- Emira, M., (2017), Evaluation of pilot appeals arrangements, Internal Report, Cambridge Assessment
- Emira, M., (2016), Evaluation of Enquiries About Results, Internal Report, Cambridge Assessment
- Emira, M., et al., (2015), Understanding leadership from a disability perspective. Commissioned by Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (LFHE)
- Emira, M., et al., (2012), longitudinal study of early years professional status: an exploration of progress, leadership and impact final report, DfE report, CeDARE, University of Wolverhampton.
- Emira, M., et al., (2011), Evaluation of the Primary Leading Teachers Programme. Commissioned by National Strategies
- Emira, M., et al., (2010), Netbooks Evaluation Project: Learner Survey Report and Analysis. Commissioned by Telford and Wrekin Council
- Basit, T., N., and Emira, M., (2010), Achievement of Ethnic Minority Students. Commissioned by Ethnic Minority Achievement Group, Walsall Council
- Emira, M., (2010), Broadening the Horizon of Teacher Leadership, Society for Educational Studies (SES)
- Emira, M., et al., (2009), Access to Leisure Activities: The Perceptions of Children and Young People with Autistic Spectrum Disorder or ADHD and Their Parents/Carers, Walsall Primary Care Trust Report
- Emira, M., et al., (2008), Researching Initial Proposals for a Minimum Core for Learning Support Practitioners, Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK)
- Some of Mahmoud's publications were among the most read journal articles by readers of SAGE
- One article has been listed as one of the resources for the professionalisation of teaching at the Hong Kong Institute of Education and the Central Resources Centre (Education Bureau) in Hong Kong
Areas of research supervision
Mahmoud is interested in supervising students in the field of educational leadership and management.
Research and academic outputs
Personal sacrifice and corporate cultures: career progression for disabled staff in higher education
Brewster, S, Duncan, N, Emira, M and Clifford, A (2017) 'Personal sacrifice and corporate cultures: career progression for disabled staff in higher education.' Disability & Society, 32 (7). pp. 1027-1042. ISSN 0968-7599
Towards preparing young people for employment and further study: first evaluation of the City & Guilds TechBac
Emira, M and Rahman, Z (2017) 'Towards preparing young people for employment and further study: first evaluation of the City & Guilds TechBac.' Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 22 (1). pp. 49-67. ISSN 1359-6748
Emira, M, Brewster, S, Duncan, N and Clifford, A (2016) 'What disability? I am a leader! Understanding leadership in HE from a disability perspective.' Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 46 (3). pp. 457-473. ISSN 1741-1432
Emira, M (2014) 'Higher education in Egypt since World War II: development and challenges.' Italian Journal of Sociology of Education, 6 (2). pp. 8-35. ISSN 2035-4983