In my work I use a broad range of media including sculpture, installation, film and photography. My practice investigates the formation and historical dissemination of cultural constructs around the natural world, focusing particularly on landscape representations within the Northern European Romantic tradition and today’s notions of the Sublime. Central to the work is the human interest and relationship to landscape and its images used metaphorically for human psychology.
PHOTO CREDIT: BEN JONES
- MA Chelsea School of Art and Design, London
- BA(Hons) Goldsmiths' College University of London
- Senior Research Fellow 1998-2001 UWIC, Cardiff
- Professor of Fine Art, Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHiB), Norway.
- 2012/13 Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHiB), Norway, visiting Professor
- 1996-97 Tower Hamlets College (Digital Image Creation/ Manipulation), London
- 1991-92 Chelsea College of Art and Design (MA Sculpture), London
- 1987-90 Goldsmiths’ College (BA Hons Degree), London
- 1985-7 Crawford College of Art and Design, Cork, Ireland
- 2010 The Fourth Plinth, shortlisted artist
- 1998-01 Senior Research Fellow in Fine Art, UWIC, Cardiff, UK
- 1998 Henry Moore Sculpture Fellowship, Spike Island, Bristol, UK.
- Tate Membership.
- Sculpture, Painting, Media.
Currently researching and developing project in Greenland and South West Indian Ocean. Investigating 'Unknown and Unmapped Landscapes'. Funded by the Arts Council of England, Bath Spa University and Brighton Festival, HOUSE.
- Staffordshire University, external examiner since 2010.
Other external roles
- Brighton Festival, lead artist for HOUSE
- Advisory panel Arts Council Collection 2003-6.
Selected conference speaker/ discussion/ workshop participation
- 2012 Revisiting Histories: Exploring Tensions between Tradition and Innovation. in conversation with art historian Mark Cheetham, The Courtauld Institute of Art Research Forum. 2012 Frank Davis series: ‘The Quick and the Dead’
- ‘Towards a Contemporary Sublime’ with sculptor Mariele Neudecker – workshop at Firestation Dublin
- "re-presenting experience - a study of a figure in a landscape", For-Site Foundation in Nevada City, CA, USA
- 2010 Space and Desire, Zurich University of the Arts ZHdK, Switzerland (publ)
- Provenance, Bath Spa University, UK (publ)
- 2008 Beauty, Land/Water and the Visual Arts, University of Plymouth, UK (publ)
- The New Art Centre Towada, Towada, Japan
- Wonder, Singapore –Biennale Conference (publ.), Singapore
- 2005 Nature in the Kingdom of Ends, Selfoss, Iceland (publ).
- 2012 (2000) recognition of Professor status (freelance) Bergen Academy of Art and Design, khib, Bergen (Trondheim)
- 2012 Sculpture for Norwich, public art commission, Norwich, UK
- 2013 Leadartist, HOUSE, Brighton Festival, UK.
Research and academic outputs
Atkinson, N, Cockayne, A, Thomas, M. and Neudecker, M (2010) Provenance : exhibition and symposium. Wunderkammer Press, Bath. ISBN 9780956646200
Neudecker, M (2017) Hull: 'another city of culture’. In: Professorial Lecture Series, 3 May 2017, Bath Spa University, Bath, UK.
Taylor, A, Skipper, S and Neudecker, M (2014) In visible nature – a conversation. In: Contemporary Artists in the Environment, 16 May 2014, The Gallery at The Sidney Nolan Trust, Presteigne, Powys.
Neudecker, M (2008) This Thing Called Darkness.
Arbugaeva, E and Neudecker, M (2017) Traces of the Future: Archaeology of Modern Science in Africa. Nunnery Gallery, London, UK, 28 January - 27 March 2017.
Neudecker, M (2017) Gravity prevents the atmosphere from drifting into outer space (2011). In: I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper, Griffin Gallery, London, UK, 12 January – 24 February 2017.
Neudecker, M (2016) After life. In: Documenting the World's Vanishing Glaciers, Scheilmünde Pilot Island, Germany, 23 July 2016.
Neudecker, M (2016) Tempest [group exhibition]. Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 10 June - 20 November 2016.
Neudecker, M (2016) Some Things Happen All At Once. Zeppelin Museum, Friedrichshafen, Germany, 29 January - 3 April 2016.
Neudecker, M (2015) Plastic Vanitas. The Gallery, Arts University Bournemouth, UK, 10 September 2015 - 26 November 2016. ISBN 9780901196675
Neudecker, M (2015) Figure of 8 (rainforest, Ecuador) for 5.1 surround. In: The Artists Surround Sound project, Sound Scape Park, Miami, USA, 2 December 2015.
Neudecker, M (2015) There is always something more important (2012). In: MODEL: Models in Contemporary Art, Gallery Rudolfinum, The Museum of Decorative Arts, Prague Czech Republic, 29 January - 3 March 2015.
Neudecker, M (2015) Truth is an overrated virtue (2007). In: Death: The Human Experience, Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol, UK, 24 October 2015 - 13 March 2016.
Neudecker, M (2015) Objekte und Bilder und zwei Zeichnungen von Otto Dix und Paul Klee. Galerie Haas, Zurich, Switzerland, 11 December 14 - 30 January 15.
Neudecker, M (2015) Think of one thing (2002). In: ELEMENTS, Kiasma: Museum of Contemporary Art, Helsinki, Finland, 13 March - 9 August 2015.
Neudecker, M (2015) Index (1989). In: BLUEPRINT, Storefront for Art and Architecture, New York, USA, 23 January - 21 March 2015.
Neudecker, M (2014) The air itself is one vast library (2010). In: A Screaming Comes Across The Sky, Laboral, Gijon, Spain, 10 October 2014 - 5 April 2015.
Neudecker, M (2014) There is always something more important (2012). In: Slow Future, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, Poland, 27 Jun - 14 September 2014. ISBN 9788361156741
Neudecker, M (2014) Cook and Peary (2013). In: RE-THINK: Environment, National Maritime Museum, London, December 2014 – Spring 2015.
Neudecker, M (2014) Invisible Dust Presents...For Now We See. Dana, Copenhagen, Denmark, 21 - 26 June 2014.
Neudecker, M (2014) There Is Always Something More Important. Galerie Barbara Thumm, Berlin, Germany, 14 March – 26 April 2014.
Neudecker, M (2014) Some things happen all at once. In: The Antarctic Pavillion Presents...Antarctopia: Venice Architecture Biennale, Fondaco Marcello, Venice, Italy, 7 June – 23 November 2014.
Neudecker, M (2013) There is always something more important (2012). In: Arctic, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Humlebaek, Denmark, 25 September 2013 - 2 February 2014. ISBN 9788792877161
Neudecker, M (2013) Hinterland. Kunstmuseum, Trondheim, Norway, 16 February –15 September 2013.
Snell, R and Neudecker, M (2013) Between Two Tides. Motorcade/FlashParade, Bristol, UK, 14 - 23 June 2013.
Neudecker, M (2009) Two installations included in Larger Than Life, Stranger Than Fiction 11. In: Kleinplastik Fellback Triennial, Fellbach, Germany, 12 June -11 October 2010.
Neudecker, M (2006) How to Improve the World: 60 Years of British Art [group exhibition]. The Hayward Gallery, London, 1 June - 1 July 2006.
Neudecker, M (2005) 'Kindertotenlieder'. Impressions Gallery, York..
Neudecker, M (2005) Winterreise: life performances. Touring performance/exhibition, 2005.
Neudecker, M (2004) Mariele Neudecker: Over and Over, Again and Again. Tate Britain, Tate St lves.
Neudecker, M (2004) Over and over, again and again. In: Elemental Insight: A Met Office Exhibition Featuring 27 Artists from the South West, Met Office, Exeter, UK, 17 May - 12 September 2004.
Neudecker, M (2003) Mariele Neudecker: Between Us. Chapter/Howard Gardens Gallery, Cardiff, February 2003 - September 2004. ISBN 19000290703
Neudecker, M (2001) Mariele Neudecker: Until Now. Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Berlin, 3 October - 4 November 2001. ISBN 1870282329
Neudecker, M (1999) Mariele Neudecker. FirstSite, Colchester. ISBN 0952907097
Neudecker, M (2006) Mariele Neudecker: image, music and text 2002-2005 (vol.2).
Neudecker, M (2005) Mariele Neudecker: sculptural and video installation works 1997-2002 (vol.1).